Pat Metheny "Orchestrion" BD 5.1/7.1 Dolby Tru HD in 3D/2D

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I have to say that I am quite surprised by the lack of enthusiasm generated to this point by members here, but I remain steadfast in my desire to spread the good word. I just completed my first viewing of this today and I can say without hesitation that this is one spectacular musical experience. There are already multiple threads on this project (started by me, myself and I) discussing the unique particulars but to be concise, the 7.1/5.1 Dolby Tru HD surround mix knocks it out of the park. Recorded without an audience, using multiple takes with the mechanical orchestra surrounding Metheny (in an abandoned church in Brooklyn, NY) - this is everything a live BD should be - great, discrete surround production, one of the universe's greatest musicians playing his ass off and a visually sumptuous presentation ( I don't have 3D capabilities - but wish I did in this case - but the 2D looks pretty damn good).

If you have even the slightest interest in world class jazz and a truly singular concept that is executed to perfection - the surround mix is on a par with SW!

cover.jpg

Here's the details;

**Blu-Ray will play internationally

Available on both 2-disc DVD and single disc 3D Blu-ray format (the latter will play in 2D in non-3D Blu-ray players).

With this project, 19 time Grammy winning guitarist Pat Metheny has created a whole new way to make music. Based on a childhood fascination with his grandfather’s player piano, Metheny commissioned new inventors to build an exciting array of acoustic mechanical musical instruments capable of responding to his touch on the guitar, resulting in a completely unique approach to solo performance. This unusual collaboration between a master guitarist and his wildest imagination has resulted in a fascinating and absolutely one of a kind musical experience.

“The Orchestrion Project” was filmed in Greenpoint, Brooklyn by Grammy and Emmy Award winning directors Pierre & François Lamoureux at the former St Elias Church in November 2010. It features Pat Metheny on guitar performing The Orchestrion Suite. Added to this are other tracks from across Metheny’s prolific career going back to “Unity Village” (from his debut solo album “Bright Size Life” in 1976) and including other tracks from the seventies, eighties and nineties. Also included is over an hour of bonus material containing four featurettes: The Making Of The Orchestrion Project; Pat Metheny Interview; the Original EPK; a Studio Session: “Orchestrion”; a Studio Session: “Expansion”

TRACKLISTING:
Unity Village
The Orchestrion Suite:
- Orchestrion
- Entry Point
- Expansion
- Soul Search
- Spirit Of The Air
Improvisation #2
Sueño con México
Stranger In Town

Bonus Tracks:
Improvisation #1
80/81 – Broadway Blues
Tell Her You Saw Me
Antonia

Special Features:
The Making Of The Orchestrion Project
Pat Metheny Interview
The Original EPK
A Studio Session: “Orchestrion”
A Studio Session: “Expansion”

Last edited:
I have it pre-ordered. Did it come out already. I thought the release date was next week?

I just completed my first viewing of this today and I can say without hesitation that this is one spectacular musical experience.
You have definitely peaked my curiosity. I'm hoping that it translates into a superb audio-only experience as well. For myself, I have no interest in the video. I just want to put this on my player and listen as if it were a surround music album - not a movie. I just want to turn off the TV and hear the finished musical pieces; no dialog, rehearsals, outtakes, or such. Am I going to be able to get that kind of experience?

I was a little put off by the single extremely negative review on Amazon.com yesterday, but today someone added another review that helped me pull the trigger. I'm now looking forward to this one.

You have definitely peaked my curiosity. I'm hoping that it translates into a superb audio-only experience as well. For myself, I have no interest in the video. I just want to put this on my player and listen as if it were a surround music album - not a movie. I just want to turn off the TV and hear the finished musical pieces; no dialog, rehearsals, outtakes, or such. Am I going to be able to get that kind of experience?

Musically I think it stands on it's own, so the short answer is yes - as a matter of fact, I made a DTS copy for my car surround system and it sounds great. The one caveat here is - I'm a Pat Metheny fan. If you're not familiar with his music or the Orchestrion Project specifially, you can google him/it and get plenty of info/samples to check out first.

I was a little put off by the single extremely negative review on Amazon.com yesterday, but today someone added another review that helped me pull the trigger. I'm now looking forward to this one.

There are a faction of Metheny fans that are put off by the audacity of his "mechanical" band - I am facinated by it and appreciate his constantly evolving musical journey. I can't guarantee that this will be everybody's cup of tea but this is certainly an extremely well executed production.

I do not have the two extra channels for 7.1. Could somebody please address 5.1 compatibility questions?

Back