Peter Gabriel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

I posted this on http://www.sa-cd.net but I think I can put a copy here. It might interest some of you. Even if you don't, you can help us ! :)

Hello all !

As you maybe noticed, a lot of Peter Gabriel's SACD are OOP. It's a shame because these were beatiful titles ! Especially the last one, Up, which had a very good surround mix.
Until the last week, I thought it was an utopian dream to have them re-released. However, Peter Gabriel released a new album this week : "Scratch my Back".
No SACD version planned, unfortunately, but only a 24bits download which will be available the 2th March. But I noticed that A LOT of people on the official forum asked (and are still asking) for an SACD version.

So, if you would like a SACD version of this title, I encourage all of you to go to the official forum and ask it with the other people over there !
Even if you don't like Peter Gabriel's music, you can do it, it won't hurt the SACD format !
And by the way, you can also ask the old SACDs to be re-released again.
If we continue to ask it, it may work.

(the official website is : http://www.petergabriel.com/ )

Last edited:
No SACD version planned, unfortunately, but only a 24bits download which will be available the 2th March. But I noticed that A LOT of people on the official forum asked (and are still asking) about an SACD version.

Is the SACD surround? If not, why would you want an SACD if there is a 24 bit released?

Is the SACD surround? If not, why would you want an SACD if there is a 24 bit released?

I think I made an error in the sentence (I'm not an english speaker, sorry). It's "But I noticed that A LOT of people on the official forum asked (and are still asking) for an SACD version."

But even if a 24bit download exists, I prefer an SACD ! I dont' like downloading music files (though I'm 20 years old), I don't like non-physical music formats. And the SACD sound is better than 24bits PCM audio !

Now this is really strange.

Have you ever seen a CD packed in a small hinge super jewel case?

Well, the new Gabriel album apparently is one (pic courtesy of www.petergabriel.com):
smb_collage.jpg

What does this mean? Did someone keep some spare jewel cases for some (planned) SACD re-issues?

Also, there was this PG interview with Gabriel claiming that he "...will record in only 5.1 surround sound from now on..." (Billboard, Oct. 2003 - after the release of Up).
No, I do not dare to elaborate on this...

Last edited:
Now this is really strange.

Have you ever seen a CD packed in a small hinge super jewel case?

I have. Plenty of them lately. Many new CDs come in these super jewel cases that in the beginning only appeared with SACDs. Don't read anything into it.

dmINDIA_cd_back.jpg

Yes, there are now a lot of regular CD sold in LARGE hinged super jewel box (like the Metallica one) but I have NEVER seen a CD in a SMALL hinged super jewel box ... That is strange ...

I have. Plenty of them lately. Many new CDs come in these super jewel cases that in the beginning only appeared with SACDs. Don't read anything into it.
Thank you, voice of reason.

And for those of you waiting for further Gabriel SACD's, don't stand by the door tapping your foot. It ain't happening.

May I add that what I have heard of his new one almost put me into a coma. But it might be me. Not into any sleepy music right now.

Yes, there are now a lot of regular CD sold in LARGE hinged super jewel box (like the Metallica one) but I have NEVER seen a CD in a SMALL hinged super jewel box ... That is strange ...

Ah, ok. Never noticed the difference. I still don't believe it means anything.

And I agree with Dave. The new Gabriel is a little too slow for my taste as well.

I posted this on http://www.sa-cd.net but I think I can put a copy here. It might interest some of you. Even if you don't, you can help us ! :)

Hello all !

As you maybe noticed, a lot of Peter Gabriel's SACD are OOP. It's a shame because these were beatiful titles ! Especially the last one, Up, which had a very good surround mix.
Until the last week, I thought it was an utopian dream to have them re-released. However, Peter Gabriel released a new album this week : "Scratch my Back".
No SACD version planned, unfortunately, but only a 24bits download which will be available the 2th March. But I noticed that A LOT of people on the official forum asked (and are still asking) for an SACD version.

So, if you would like a SACD version of this title, I encourage all of you to go to the official forum and ask it with the other people over there !
Even if you don't like Peter Gabriel's music, you can do it, it won't hurt the SACD format !
And by the way, you can also ask the old SACDs to be re-released again.
If we continue to ask it, it may work.

(the official website is : http://www.petergabriel.com/ )

Edelweiss,

It's always good, when there is a way to do it, to let the artists know what the fans wants. Sure, the chances for SACD are slim to none, but if a handful or more fans ask about SACD, it shows someone that someone had paid attention in the past, and maybe a HiRez release in some future format could see the light of day.

If there is absolutely no one asking for something, there is no reason for anyone else to do any more than they are already doing.

It doesn't cost anyone anything to say "Hey, I'd buy an SACD if you put it out. Especially if you did it in 5.1!" :D

I think I made an error in the sentence (I'm not an english speaker, sorry). It's "But I noticed that A LOT of people on the official forum asked (and are still asking) for an SACD version."

But even if a 24bit download exists, I prefer an SACD ! I dont' like downloading music files (though I'm 20 years old), I don't like non-physical music formats. And the SACD sound is better than 24bits PCM audio !

Aha, OK, I understand what you mean. I am not sure that it would be possible to hear a difference between SACD and WAV. But if there was a difference, it would be due to the fact that SACD changes the sound from the original mix. Is that good?

I am quite happy that PG goes for 24 bits WAV download instead of that silly DSD. Hopefully he as shelved SACD now. :)

Aha, OK, I understand what you mean. I am not sure that it would be possible to hear a difference between SACD and WAV. But if there was a difference, it would be due to the fact that SACD changes the sound from the original mix. Is that good?

I am quite happy that PG goes for 24 bits WAV download instead of that silly DSD. Hopefully he as shelved SACD now. :)

If there is a 24 bit PCM source then the "easiest" choice would be for a 5.1 DVD-Audio/CD combo version :D

Hey - one can only hope.....

I prefer to have a physical copy also.....

There have been several attempts already contacting the record companies or artists trying to resurrect SACD, by email or internet petitions. Of course there is nothing wrong with contacting Peter Gabriel and requesting the new release be made available on SACD since I believe he has the clout to get it down if he thinks it is in his best interest. The way I look it, his record company and he himself already knows if an SACD release would be profitable and the answer is additional sales would primarily be to the detriment of straight CD sales and the additional cost could not be justified. It is tough enough to make a profit on a CD release now and I think that is especially true for Peter Gabriel. That fact coupled with the fact the market was never willing to pay a premium for SACD ought to make it clear why we don't see SACD for anything other than the classical niche market now. That is just a fact and dozens or hundreds of SACD enthusiasts complaining loudly won't change that fact, there is an 8 year history for the format. There is likely a small group of fans that would like to see a picture of Peter Gabriel in a tutu on the album cover, probably a larger group than wants the album on SACD and they can certainly contact him and request that.

Despite the obvious, I know I will see another similar thread about an upcoming album and there is nothing wrong with being optimistic, dreaming, wishing and hoping but something more likely, maybe a request that planes start flying overhead and dropping money out of the cargo bay would be time better spent.

Chris

Back