Pink Floyd "Animals (2022 Atmos mix)" Blu-ray Audio incl. hi-res Dolby Atmos; 5.1 and stereo mixes (2018 remix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Atmos wise I would love to have WYWH, Meddle, AMLoR and Division Bell. Oh and Obscured By Clouds would be a buy for me as well. I just mentioned The Wall because we don't have any real spatial re-issue.
To me says it all, we're completely on the same page. ;)

My take is that they couldn't come to an agreement on the matter. Neither was willing to budge over something that was in reality, quite trivial. It doesn't paint either of them in a positive light. Nick Mason has commented that he's tired of the bickering between the two of them and wishes that they could both learn to meet each other halfway. As a fan of every member of the band, I feel the same.

If they could have done that, who knows what music we'd be enjoying today. I'm a fan of Roger. Have most of his solo works and have seen him in concert. I just think his pattern of destructive narcissism was the biggest factor in the delay. I don't know how not including something that was never there gives David more credit. I don't know why he drug Polly into it either. And why would he even think he should be able to use the social media of the band he left, declared dead and then sued to keep from going on I'll never know. Doesn't help that David hasn't said much (and I'm not implying he's blame free here). But I'm almost certain if it was just him and Nick, we'd have had this mix in 2018. And we'd have an official Meddle 5.1 too.

In the end we're the losers. Just glad we're getting what we are. We can all hope that they can come together and we can start seeing this music getting remastered and released in all its spatial goodness.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered this via Amazon. With all of the various mixes included on the DVD, it looks like if you missed previous iterations this disc has you covered:

DOLBY ATMOS MIX Details -
5.1 SURROUND MIX in 24bit/96kHz UNCOMPRESSED, and dts-HD MA STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED, and dts-HD MA 1977 STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED, and dts-HD MA Dolby Atmos, Stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes by James Guthrie.

I do not see this as selling out too quickly (at least I hope not, this is PF so ought to be available for a little while), so my plan is to wait and hear from those of us ready to invest early. Thank you so much to those forerunners. Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

I pre-ordered this via Amazon. With all of the various mixes included on the DVD, it looks like if you missed previous iterations this disc has you covered:

5.1 SURROUND MIX in 24bit/96kHz UNCOMPRESSED, and dts-HD MA STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED, and dts-HD MA 1977 STEREO MIX in 24bit/192kHz UNCOMPRESSED, and dts-HD MA Dolby Atmos, Stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes by James Guthrie.
As previously mentioned here, there's no such thing as "dts-HD MA Dolby Atmos". So the audio specifications are not reliable!

Agree 100%. I never cared for The Wall, album or movie, at all.
I'd rather have an ATMOS version of the Echoes compilation (edits and segues intact) before The Wall!
What about the live version? I think that's the definitive recording of The Wall.

As previously mentioned here, there's no such thing as "dts-HD MA Dolby Atmos". So the audio specifications are not reliable!
My copy arrived today

PF-Animals-ATMOS-BD.jpg

I'm in calls until the afternoon, but have the disk in my hands already. I'm greatly surprised by the packaging, it's thick cardboard like Roger's AtD SACD instead of the flimsy packaging of the 5.1 regular Animals Blu-ray.
There's also a postcard and a sticker, in case you still care about PF's memorabilia :)
Will have a listen in the evening, really looking forward to it

Some quick observations after a 5 minutes listen to Dogs:
-Loop music in disk menus is in Atmos now. No time to check if same music as previously or not
-Atmos encoding is same as in DSOTM, so it will cause trouble to Denon and Marantz receivers with Atmos/Auro compatible setup (I'm impacted, which means I need to extract and reencode the file, damn)
-From the first minutes of Dogs, this new mix sounds much more spacious, but I couldn't tell any discrete activity on the heights (take this with a grain of salt, very quick listen to 5 minutes of music)
-What seems to have been softened is the over bloated bass that the previous version had. Don't know if I like this one more or not, but to me it sounds more gentle than the 5.1 and I had gotten used to its bollocks

More later when I have some more time

Atmos encoding is same as in DSOTM, so it will cause trouble to Denon and Marantz receivers with Atmos/Auro compatible setup...
Is this only for those with Auro 3D firmware? I have a Marantz SR6014, which has Atmos/DTS:x, but not Auro. I currently only have 5.1, but plan to expand to 5.1.4. Will these Floyd Atmos mixes translate correctly?

Is this only for those with Auro 3D firmware? I have a Marantz SR6014, which has Atmos/DTS:x, but not Auro. I currently only have 5.1, but plan to expand to 5.1.4. Will these Floyd Atmos mixes translate correctly?
The issues were reported by very few users here and the only common pattern I found was that we had Auro3D licence enabled. I tried everything possible in terms of configuration and wasn't able to map the height channels properly unless I reencoded the file to 5.1.4 with MMH.
What I believe is that you should be fine as long as you don't have Auro, but I can't be 100% sure.
Detecting the problem is very straightforward just by playing the channel ID test included on the Blu-ray. Front heights always play the same on front and back heights.

Back