Power amplifier switching

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccm0114

I'm looking for a way for my receiver to automatically turn on two power amplifiers.

For some background, my previous setup was a Pioneer QX-949 receiver hooked up with two outboard Adcom 200W/ch. power amplifiers. I rigged some pre-amp outputs for the Pioneer and put together a triac circuit that was driven from the switched outlet of the Pioneer. When the Pioneer was switched on, this turned on the triac, which fed power to the power amps.

Now, I recently bought a Kenwood receiver, and it doesn't seem to like my triac circuit. Does anybody know if there some equipment out there where a receiver's switched outlet can be used as a trigger to turn on other power equipment? I also have a 12VDC switched output on the receiver if that helps.

Hi ccm,
Have you checked to see if you reciever has any standard electrical inputs I think there are 2 on mine. I don't have anything plugged into them and I'm not going back there to see if their live when i turn the reciever on and off which I never do, but maybee you should have alook.
Or you may have other equipment with inputs that you can daisychain.

Peter m.

Hi Peter,

I have switched and unswitched outlets on the back of the receiver. Unfortunately, none of them are three-prong outlets, and the switched outlets are only rated for 3A (350W). This is good for powering some devices, but not two power amplifiers. That's why I'm looking for an outboard device to automatically turn-on my amps when my receiver turns on. And I'm getting too lazy in my old age to build another circuit to do this.

Thanks,
B

At one time or another, Niles, Monster Cable, Recoton, Adcom and a number of other companies produced system power units that would automatically turn on sepearate outlets on a strip when a primary item was turned on(sensed there was a current draw)

Hi,

Your right I have a Monster HTS1000 or something like that power conditioner with 8 marked outlets for different equipment with specific needs. I think it might have an on off switch but It's behind a 65" rptv so it's not convenient as I would think is the situation here.

One other thing though, I'm not a big fan of turning my reciever on and off, or my computer (which is part of my ht), but getting back to the Monster power conditioner, I think that may be the way togo if it could be placed in a convenient spot and there are models much more sophisticated and with more options than mine.

Regardless if that is your solution, I feel you should deffinitely be using something like that for your amps to make sure the circuitry is free from crossover or pollution and if it has an on off button so much the better but it brings up a question in my mind re power amps.

Don't they need extended warmup periods to operate optimally?

Peter m.

Back