Proof required that "Brubeck & Desmond - The Duets" is actually quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxforddickie

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have a quetion for those who have a larger collection of Quad albums than myself concerning the status of the "Brubeck & Desmond - The Duets" album.

It has long been listed in Mark Andersons listing as being QS encoded. I have serious doubts about this. The reasons:

1, Track 8 is listed as being taken from a video recording of a live concert - certainly not quad

2, There is no sign of any 'QS phase' information anywhere on the album

BUT, and here's where i believe people have believed it to be encoded, there is a 70 degree phase shift to the left on the whole album, ( which may well be where the piano is positioned IF it is so encoded) and if not would make those with QS decoders think it was encoded, much like the other albums that i've also found arne't really quad (Climax Blues Band, Tommy, etc)

So, is there any proof that this was ever released in quad, preferably pictures of the cover, etc. I'm afraid, heresay won't really do.

OD

Last edited:
I have two copies of that lp, picked up on assumption it was quad encoded. No labeling to indicate so. I too felt the live track would not be qs (its mono I beleive). I have played it thru the variomatrix but nothing jumped out at me. I would appreciate a list of lps you tested which are not quad despite being listed in the discography. Thanks OD!

Yea, seems we both arrived at the same conclusion. If you visit my blog, you'll see a section that lists the albums i've tested (so far) that were thought to be Quad, but aren't

OD

Back