Q. about Virgil Fox "Heavy Organ at Carnegie Hall"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
My local used record store has the quadradisc of Virgil Fox's "Heavy Organ at Carnegie Hall" (I don't remember if it's Volume 1 or 2). Has anyone else heard this? I didn't buy it because I presumed that the only thing that would come out of the rear speakers is ambiance. Or was it mixed so that the different keyboards of the organ come out of different speakers (sort of like E Power Biggs' album of Bach's Toccatas and Fugues)?

J. D.

I can't answer your question definitively but these are two Quadradiscs I have been very tempted to buy also.

Actually though, I do have "Fantasy and Fugue in G Minor" from the first disc on the Panasonic 2 record demo and, if I remember correctly, it is mostly ambience from the back channels.

I'll give it another listen and report back.

Doug

I remembered correctly that the back channels are ambience, at least on the piece I have.

It is still an incredible sounding piece though and I won't hesitate to buy the two discs. It's hard to resist Virgil Fox's playing anyway, regardless of format.

Doug

I remembered correctly that the back channels are ambience, at least on the piece I have.

It is still an incredible sounding piece though and I won't hesitate to buy the two discs. It's hard to resist Virgil Fox's playing anyway, regardless of format.

Doug

You're right. Musical performance should be the primary concern when buying a recording. Surround sound qualities should be secondary. I think I'll buy this one if it's still there.

J. D.

Back