Randy Sparks, Founder of New Christy Minstrels Dead at 90

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Randy Sparks has had his Last Farewell, RIP.

Thanks for those Hootenanny clips, that show made a big impression of me age nine, pre- Beatles & Byrds.
They were so wholesome & family friendly in their matching frocks, jackets & ties.
One blonde, one brunette, & Larry Ramos for slight ethnic diversity.

This is the Columbia album my folks wore out on the Magnavox console, the cover burned into my young brain.

1708281026000.png

1708281084496.png

This Train/Saints also from Hootenanny w/Group Intro by Randy Sparks
incl: Gene Clark of Byrds, Larry Ramos of Association and Barry McGuire

The roots of LA Laurel Canyon folk rock in that line-up. :geek:

Randy Sparks has had his Last Farewell, RIP.

Thanks for those Hootenanny clips, that show made a big impression of me age nine, pre- Beatles & Byrds.
They were so wholesome & family friendly in their matching frocks, jackets & ties.
One blonde, one brunette, & Larry Ramos for slight ethnic diversity.

This is the Columbia album my folks wore out on the Magnavox console, the cover burned into my young brain.

View attachment 101709

View attachment 101710

The roots of LA Laurel Canyon folk rock in that line-up. :geek:

When I was a kid and heard these songs, I marveled at how people could actually sing like this and I am still marveled by it. I know Linda posted the live version of Green, Green but here is the version from that wonderful album, plus my other two favorites from it, although the entire record is incredible:

RIP, Mr, Sparks.

I didn't know about some of his history.

Sparks was also influential in helping boost the careers of Steve Martin, John Denver and Kenny Rogers, with Rogers playing double bass for the group in 1966.

Besides his work with the New Christy Minstrels, Sparks also wrote for other artists and was involved in various musical projects throughout his career. He was a significant figure in the music industry, particularly the folk music scene.

In the mid-1960s, Sparks sold his interest in the New Christy Minstrels for $2.5 million and moved to rural Northern California. There, he began a 30-year collaboration with Burl Ives and opened a nightclub in Los Angeles called Ledbetter’s.

Back