RIP Joe Tarsia, 88

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Other than quad credits, absolutely due, if you were DJing in radio or disco in the seventies a "Sigma Sound" credit on the back or label was a warranty that the record was good. Not always a smash hit, but surely good.

Slightly belated, but Arthur Stoppe (who got his start thanks to Joe Tarsia) sent me this obituary that he penned for the May 2023 Audio Engineering Society newsletter, and has kindly allowed me to repost it here. It also includes remembrances from Jay Mark (who did several quad mixes as well) and Jim Gallagher, who assisted on many of the mixes of that period.

Even if you only have a passing interest in the engineering or history of music it's worth a few minutes of your time, especially if you see music as the product of the personalities that created it. I think it's fair to say that Mr. Tarsia had a profound effect on not only the sound of the records he engineered, but also the lives of everyone who was lucky enough to work for, or at, Sigma Sound.

Attachments

• JAES_V71_5_PG305_Joe_Tarsia_obit.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Back