Roger Whittaker Dead at 87

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now remembering singing The Last Farewell when I was in a boys choir at age 10 or 11. Quite a nice nautical song which appeals to me having served in both the Navy and the Merchant Marines. May your soul be at peace with God.

RIP

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/roger-whittaker-folk-singer-dead-at-87/
Bought many of his records. Many of his songs have French versions, as well. Here's Mon Pays Bleu, Durham Town in French:

This is sad. I always liked his music, including the German language songs he recorded (phonetically; he was singing in Deutch before he ever learned the language). There was something about his voice I always found soothing. I have a great CD of his greatest hits, bought back in the 80's, that I think I'll be listening to today. RIP, Roger!

Not exactly a pop star, he probably tried to appeal to the WWII generation, but nice music anyway. Damn, people are dropping like I wish flies did.

"The Last Farewell" has been an earworm for me since the first time I heard it as a teenager. I can't say I know anything else by him but I can say I love that song. And it is on more than a few of my playlists.

RIP Mr. Whittaker

Not exactly a pop star, he probably tried to appeal to the WWII generation, but nice music anyway. Damn, people are dropping like I wish flies did.
After reading this earlier, I dug out a CD of his greatest hits, and played in in the car while running some errands. I'm not the WW II generation, but his music always appealed to me. RIP, Roger.

Back