Sansui QRX-7001 Rebuild

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P901

Just wanted to send out a note of thanks to Q-Bob and everyone for all their advice and help during the rebuild of the 7001. and the system setup.

Completed the recap of the 1st 7001 unit, (still in the lab for other internal mods), but I was able to play the decoder boards in the backup unit last night. (Recapped with matched Panasonic low leakage, tight tolerance FC series electrolytics, [equivalent to the Nichicon "Muse" audio series], along with changing all the original mylar and polyester caps to P series polypropylenes, also matched).

Night and day as they say.

Somewhere in one of these posts someone made the comment that, without a rebuild, these units are a shadow of their original state.
This statement is true.
For those who are considering this type of a rebuild / upgrade, you will be pleasantly rewarded.

Noticed a physical effect while running the unit last night, the power output before was such that it took a volume setting of "7" or so to make the window by my desk rattle. Now the window is shaking in its frame and I was unable to focus on the computer screen due to the vibration directly affecting my vision, this now happens at a volume setting of "3". Of course, clarity, range and punch all dramatically improved
No other changes to the reference system, (7001 with inital internal "cleanup mods"), except for recapped/balanced decoder boards.

Next mod is to try to find the point on the circuit board to cut in a discrete multichannel input to mimic the input of the CD-4 system. The goal is to have the unit process the discrete signal with CD input as it did with the original phono source.
Of course we don`t have a 50khz carrier so this cut in will need to be downstream of the CD-4 components, (which have been surgically removed anyway since this unit is used only with CD input).
Also taking into account that the recordings on the CD`s have not been mixed for this purpose but great opportunity for experimentation.
Anybody??

Thanks again to Q-B, the Quadfather and all who have offered their time, advice and assistance to get a new guy up and running.

andy

I've always been curious whether you could record a CD-4 lp onto cd so that you captured the high frequency carrier information, and have a modified demodulator that would play it back intact, nice sharp discrete sound. Is this technically possible? :confused:

sspsandy said:
I've always been curious whether you could record a CD-4 lp onto cd so that you captured the high frequency carrier information, and have a modified demodulator that would play it back intact, nice sharp discrete sound. Is this technically possible? :confused:

sspsandy, sorry to have to tell you this, but the Compact Disc standards limit the frequency response to 20khz, so the 30khz-50khz carrier signal on the CD-4 disc would be completely overlooked. The only thing you can do is to have the demodulated 4-channel recording transferred to Dolby Digital or DTS on DVD or some other high-rez format. There is a member of the forum who makes such transfers, although his name escapes me right this second. BTW, the original CD standard allows for multi-channel recordings. :)

Back