sansui sv40x cart and 2 syli

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w.a.reid

500 Club - QQ All-Star
ive been trying to get a grip on what i own...as opposed to what i think i own.

i thought i had at least one sansui qsd-1...i couldnt find it.

i did find some other things.

here i have an sv40x cart and 2 "40x" styli. shibata? elliptical? i dunno - one of the needles is out of the little plastic thing.

my question is....can the stylus be tested? restored? repaired?

i listen to stereo....and decode with sansui qs synth....so the other sv40x cartridge i found i fitted with a new AT...uh...something - it was a suggested needle for STEREO play.

i was going to keep the other sv40x and buy a new stylus for it for QUAD play....but i do not do quad play.

so why do i have a sv40x cart? why do i have 2?

i know its a heavy cart. is that good?

if im playing stereo and decoding it....do i need this cart....or will any old cart and stylus be ok?

i use a sansui 2050...plain and simple....and theyre always sold as broken - and they never are.

maybe i can do a picture.

w.a.r.

IMG_0975.jpg

William, those styli were made by Audio Technica for Sansui and, unfortunately, it looks like both of them are toast. And really dark toast at that. it may be that an equivalent AT stylus will fit. They look like first generation AT styli.

You can use any cartridge made for two channel stereo to play matrix quad LPs. Everything is in the audible frequency range on those records so a cartridge doesn't need to extend up into the super-sonic region.

Doug

ok - first off...i dont understand.

i thought the elliptical or shibata stylus and the heavy sv40x cart were needed to get as much stereo information to the qs synth decoder.....no?

thats all i do...normal stereo LPs....and then decode them with the sansui.

is the sv40x overkill? so i can sell it?....or use it....it just isnt a MUST for qs synth pick-up.:mad:@:

w.a.r.

Oops, I referenced matrix quad LPs when you said two channel.

Same thing though. Any stereo cartridge will work. They will all get the two channel information to the QS decoder to be synthesized. You don't need the CD-4 cartridge although there are some arguments in favor of using a CD-4 cartridge for regular two channel records. You don't need it, however.

Of course, the same considerations apply for the cartridge/stylus you choose as they do for two channel reproduction but that's all. Any of them will work to synthesize quad from stereo records.

I hope I'm clear this time. Sometimes I forget things.

Doug

Back