Setting the future

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The last year and half has been a BIG painstakin' time for me, divided to 2-3 houses, work here sleep there and music somewhere - usually not here nor there. After a so extended time of having cartons of stuff packed and very little time to unpack and re-organize everything i've come to a conclusion that it's better for me to move from physical media.
Problem is, digital to digital is fairly straightfoward; analog to digital is not, so it will takes a while to complete the moving. At least the D2D part can be done relatively fast and that will leave bits of time for the A2D part.
For the D2D issue i got a used Kodak Kiosk which, along with dbPoweramp, allow for a batch ripping of 50 cd each load. % of disc identified is 90-95, so the manual editing time is something doable (after all, ripping +- 4000 cd is quite a task).

Problem that need to be solved is the next step: the playback equipment.

The basic idea would be a small-size pc, possibly touchscreen; how?
A) with Foobar or similar that can get the file from networked hard drives, process flac, dts and dvd-a and outputting analog audio with a decent Firewire soundcard (Edirol...), then analog amp?
B) something more lightweight that just get the file and send it out to a HDMI audio port, then the processing is done by a HDMI-Enabled preamp, or receiver?
C) Else? (your suggestion...)

:confused:

I've launched the same question also on another ML and came out a intresting suggestion:

http://xtreamer.net/

Anyone knows something about it? If it could pass MLP thru hdmi 1.3a from ISO images it's done. And cheap too.

I have just implemented a new PC system with good sonic results:
- Vista
- Foobar2000 with Kernel Streaming
- HT Omega Claro Halo XT, 7.1 soundcard with RCA connectors
- Analog amplifier

When DVD-A is converted to Flac I get tags automatically in place for about 50% of rips leaving some work to be done with a tag editor.

As display I use a LCD television and I use a Logitech diNovo Mini keyboard, so I can control the PC from my armchair.

I play everything from my computer (and various extenal HDs) with the HDMI out from a Sony VAIO laptop computer to my Onkyo receiver.

Cyberlink powerDVD Ultra and VLC player can handle every type of media file/folder I know of, including FLAC and mlp, dts, everything except BD audio.

I load my .iso and .cue files onto a virtual harddrive created by alcohol 120%.

The results are stunning. I mostly only burn now as a way of having more back up.

I use my HD LCD tv as a monitor and a powerful wireless mouse to control the pc from the couch so my lazy ass rarely has to move. I hardly leave the house any more.

Back