Slick S-ATA removable drive enclosures!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I bought one of these on a whim and ended up with two more. They are sweet.

They're removable S-ATA drive enclosures with cooling fans and disk activity and power LEDs, but the great part about them is they don't need a drive caddy, you just slide the bare drive into the slot, close the door and you're rocking!

This is an excellent way to archive your quad conversions and projects, because the drive is only powered when you use it, so there is no chance of it burning out or getting hit with a voltage surge or having a "WinBook" internal error. No USB, no Firewire, it's pure S-ATA so it's fast and it's easy. I just keep the silver drive envelopes to store the removed drives in and I'm good to go!

Another thing I use them for it for booting. I setup a Windows XP boot drive so I can go back if I want to use the AA SQ script or anything that won't work on Vista, and I just slide out the Vista HD and insert the XP HD and my machine is now back to XP. No "dual-boot", no chance for one O/S to screw up the other.

They work great and they aren't that expensive.

Check it out. Now, I always have the PC powered down when I change drives, in the picture below I did not actually slide the drive in all the way.

Check it out! :smokin

Attachments

• drives.jpg
    drives.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 108
Here's a link to the manufacturer's website. You can also find them a bit cheaper at some internet vendors, however, if you want to try one make sure you get the 115 model, as the 105 model does not have the LEDs, which I think are important. For example, if the blue LED is on, you can be pretty sure that the internal fans are working!

http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=MR115&detail=yes

Back