"Special" quad albums.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt in the Quad age, if the Beatles wanted any of their solos albums released in Quad, they would have been. EMI certainly wanted to keep them happy.

I recall these being released during the time of Quad (70's):

Imagine (Q8, import SQ & Japan Q reel, later BR new mix)
Walls & Bridges (Q8)
Band on the Run (Q8, later DTS CD)
Venus & Mars (Q8, later DTS CD)
Goodnight Vienna (Q8)

plus the Lennon produced Pussy Cats by Nilsson (Q8 & CD-4)

I'd even go so far as to include ;

Live And Let Die -The Original Movie Soundtrack on UA (Q8 ) , with the title song by Paul McCartney (and Wings?).

Steve Miller -Fly Like An Eagle was a 1976 Capitol Records Q8 release , which was probably the last Capitol Rock Q8 they made.

Interesting factoid I culled from Billboard : May 01 76 , pg 44 ;
"Steve Miller previewed his new self produced LP* at a quadraphonic listening party in the Capitol Tower Studio"

*no doubt they meant tape.

Really? Wow. I know that Lennon's Imagine was available in SQ overseas, but there were domestic pressings of these? Do tell! Which ones?
Capitol debunked this rumor. There were, supposedly, 12 albums that had been cut from the European master tapes, but according to the folks from that famous round building on Hollywood and Vine, just ain't so. If the albums were, in fact, in SQ, and intentionally released that way, why wouldn't Capitol have identified them as quad/stereo?

Last edited:
FWIW , I read in a couple 80's audio mags that the MO FI edition of Pink Floyd's- Dark Side Of The Moon , was SQ encoded as they used the quad encoded master Reel.

Also worth noting Aphex used the CD of DSOTM to demo their SQ decoders .

Review of Aphex AVM 8000 from ; Canadian Stereo Guide March/April 1986.

20210809_102641.jpg
20210809_102702.jpg
20210809_103250.jpg

Somewhere I have a scan of an ad where Capitol had decoded to go QS. It was just before quad was discontinued.
Interesting that they would follow the lead of EMI's Japanese leg, Toshiba Records. The 12 alleged quad albums that were mentioned on the thread were, supposedly, encoded in QS. Turns out they were never actually released. If you can find that scan, I'd like to see it.

Back