Stinky Wooden Case

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehall

Just bought a nice wooden case for my Marantz 2440 over eBay. When it arrived, I noticed that it reeked of tobacco smoke. I set aside the packaging and left it in my warm, closed garage (we're having a heat wave here in Northern Californa). When I came back in half an hour, I was assaulted by the stink upon opening the garage door.

Can't have this stinky thing in the house! Talk about negative WAF!

I will be do some refinishing on the outside of the case but the inside is either plywood or particle board and that's probably the source of the aromas.

Anyone have any ideas on exorcising the aromas? I thought of lightly sanding the insides or rubbing baking soda but I'm not happy with either approach.

Not sure what you can do. Maybe QB might have some words of wisdom.

JonUrban said:
Not sure what you can do. Maybe QB might have some words of wisdom.
Soak it liberally inside and out with Old English Lemon Oil!!:sun

It will put a nice gloss to the case, hide minor scratches and nicks, will not
damage anything...............and leave it "lemony fresh!":banana:

I would think one day of direct sunlight might help too.

Those UV rays are good stuff!!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I've already left the case outside to air out and it seems to help. Its not in direct sunlight since I'd worry about fading of the walnut.

I was already planning to use lemon oil on the outside veneer (with some steel wool) to rejuvenate the finish. A coat of Danish oil too. I'll try the lemon oil on the inside too.

As to the Febreeze, I'll look at the ingredients since the inside will heat up with operation and I'd be afraid of possible offgasses.

I left the stinker outside to air for two days and nights, out of direct sun. Then I took some extra fine steel wool and Old English Orange Oil to it. (Couldn't find lemon oil.) Applied liberally, rubbing with the grain. I let it soak for an hour or so then rubbed off the excess with a soft cotton cloth ( an old pillow case).

The case looks gorgous now and smells very nice - no trace of the tobacco smoke smell now.

Thanks to all for the help.

Joe

Back