Van der Graaf Generator: The Bath Forum Concert (Blu-Ray mixed by Stephen W Tayler)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received notification this afternoon from importcds my copy has shipped. 😃 Hopefully I will get it by Monday.

OMG! I just had my first listen, really very good, sounds much better than when I was actually there, but I didn't see myself in the very few crowd shots. Perfectly mixed in surround by @Stephen W Tayler I listened to the 5.1 24bit 96k LPCM it sounded superb, not a single complaint here.
20230310_124011.jpg

OMG! I just had my first listen, really very good, sounds much better than when I was actually there, but I didn't see myself in the very few crowd shots. Perfectly mixed in surround by @Stephen W Tayler I listened to the 5.1 24bit 96k LPCM it sounded superb, not a single complaint here.
Excellent! My copy has arrived at home and am looking forward to listening over the weekend.

View attachment 89533
How discrete is the music?

Listening/watching now and it is superb.
My first reaction, was wow these 3 guys are old. That went away fast.
Muscianship and obvious fondness they have for each other pretty fantastic.
The tightness of the band, spot on. I really like the drummer.
Music is great.
I am watching/listening to the Blu Ray in 5.1 DTS HD MSTR.
Mix is perfect, absolute discrete (instruments different speakers) vocals center, yet all at the same time not gimmicky and just a wonderful live disc.
Video quality and camera work couldn't be better.
I love this release. I think I will not rip it and just watch/listen again as it is.

Listening to and watching this now :) . Music, picture and sound quality, as well as surround mix are all superb. The surround mix is definitely discrete. The sound is a bit bass boomy at times, but that is what Hugh Banton's excellent and skillful bass pedal work is like.

Got this in the mail this week and I am watching it now. What a treat! The performance is stunning, Hammill, Banton and Evans are spot on. The sound is superb, and the surround mix excellent! (thank you SWT!!)

Living on the west coast of Canada, it’s not often we get the chance to see these guys. VDGG has never played Vancouver (sadly not much of a prog town). However, I was lucky enough to see Hammill on a solo tour in the ’90’s, the second of 2 times that he came here. Watching this now, he doesn’t appear to have lost a step. Remarkable.

I can't check the Blu-ray disc now, but the DVD seems authored with an error in the LPCM Stereo Track. To the 51:44min (when start the second half of the show) forward the Stereo track becames MONO, boomy and distorted/clipped (like it was a "downmix" of some of the channels of the 5.1 track). This "MONO" sound remains to the end of the show.

Attachments

• vdgg mono.jpg
    vdgg mono.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 0
  • man erg excerpt LPCM track DVD.wav
    12.9 MB
Last edited:
I can't check the Blu-ray disc now, but the DVD seems authored with an error in the LPCM Stereo Track. To the 51:44min (when start the second half of the show) forward the Stereo track becames MONO, boomy and distorted/clipped (like it was a "downmix" of some of the channels of the 5.1 track). This "MONO" sound remains to the end of the show.
I'm sorry to say your are correct. The Blu-Ray LPCM Stereo is just fine. The DVD surround mixes are fine and sound good as stereo down mixes. It is the second half of the show that is not right on the stereo channel, I can only think that there was too much data with HD video, the surround mixes and the LPCM to comfortably fit on a DVD, but it is a shame this was not noticed when it was authored. SWT

Back