What to do with my old Audio-Technica AT20SLa cartridge, a new Shibita stylus ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis Drake

Pirating aboard the Golden Hind
While doing some moving around and clearing out, i came across the well preserved Audio-Technica AT20SLa box , they knew how to box things in the good ol' days, with the cartridge, screw driver all intack, the only problem being the stylus is in need of replacement.

The question is, what to do? It does seem to be criminal with it just sitting there, but it's some 50 years since the AT20, and its slightly cheaper brother AT15, was considered one of the best CD-4 cartridges around, along with having a great sound.

Is there anyone capable of replacing the stylus with another quality shibita ? Over the years i've heard a few horror stories, so would prefer suggestions from those who have either had a stylus replaced, etc

I ran across this a while ago and they still have it! I've never ordered from them, but they claim this is "Genuine, unsurpassed original Audio-Technica ATN20 stylus"
Audio-Technica ATN20 stylus
Even though I don't have that cart (plenty of other AT carts and stylus replacements through the years) I thought it was worth mentioning this.

I ran across this a while ago and they still have it! I've never ordered from them, but they claim this is "Genuine, unsurpassed original Audio-Technica ATN20 stylus"
Audio-Technica ATN20 stylus
Even though I don't have that cart (plenty of other AT carts and stylus replacements through the years) I thought it was worth mentioning this.
Thanks, will have a look

OK, have looked at what they state is rhe original / old stock ATN20 stylus, which considering they are not much under 50 years old is slightly questionable?

Of course, at the price they want for one $278.99, people may have figured it would be cheaper to invest in a new cartridge.

I did find this 'clone' of the ATN20 a bit cheaper there, anyone have any experience of their clones ?

Reading what is written i think the diamond is bonded on the cantilever, which obviously won't be anywhere as good as the original.

Back