Wide Stereo Panned Recordings & Matrix Synth Decoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just thought I'd start a thread to help QQ members looking for unique Albums that sound quad or surround through decoders.
I know there are other threads and posts that indicate Stereo-Matrix Quad , but this deals specifically with WP Stereo albums.

Yesterday I was listening via earplugs on my mp3 to Stereo music selections (from the late 60's mostly) that really sounded great for matrix decoding because of Wide Panning .
I notice that RM or QS Synthesis would work best. Some of these WP albums contain excellent examples that I have indeed tried thru a QS Decoder . A "Surround Master" in Involve mode should work equally as well. Likewise a Tate SQ Decoder.
You could also try Dolby Pro logic as well.
Anyway the discs/or songs I thought I'd indicate.
And please feel free to add your own experiences with any you've encountered. Sometimes it's really the engineer who makes these albums sound so Spatial. In my experience 60's records pop and rock do the trick.

Two that I know bring great results are :

Pink Floyd -More Soundtrack
Savoy Brown - Lookin In

Also any Ten Years After on the Decca/Deram label.(various tracks)

Speaking of which , there is a Savoy Brown track on the album "A Step Further" (Decca label) which tends to go in a circle. The track is "Where Am I" and it circulates at the song's end.šŸ˜µ

Anyway...... FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE.

:smokin Fizzy

There is a worthy track (or 2 ) on,

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds , "Free Four" , "Obscured By Clouds"

Jimi Hendrix -"Third Stone From The Sun"

Tom Waits - "Ice Cream Man"-towards the songs end.

Just about Any *Firesign Theatre* album on Columbia Records , but especially "DCT Dwarf" , "How Can Yo Be" .

šŸ‘

And one more;

"MIDNIGHT JAM"-Joe Strummer , album -Streetcore , lot's of strange panning movement , lots of echo , both vocals and effects .

This Band's songs are a very good example of wide stereo panning ;

SAVOY BROWN -A Step Further , available on Decca BGO Records.....The song: "Leavin'Again" *!*

Leavin' Again has very widely panned guitar solos by Kim Simmonds .:smokin

And one more Classic Psychedelic tune by Pink Floyd :)

Electric Moo ...."The Grand Vizer's Garden Party" , give a listen to Nick Mason's drums rolling back and forth !

All these wide stereo panned songs play out very nicely with an Surround Master in Involve, or Sansui's QS synth.
FWIW Any RM Decoder should suffice .

Edit :
Whoops wrong Savoy Brown album . It should be "LOOKING IN" -Leavin' Again ...available on Decca BGO as a twofer with the album Raw Sienna .
;)

Last edited:
Another great early recording of wide stereo panning.

Steppenwolf -Best Of Steppenwolf . A UMG Release previously on MCA /ABC Dunhill .

Various tracks , but especially the songs.... "The Pusher" , "Magic Carpet Ride" ,
and the unusual and beautiful triple track : "Monster/Suicide/America" !!!

Too bad they never made any official quad or surround releases .
The Band is definitely in top form as demonstrated on this recordIng .

Highly Recommended ..... Five Star ***** Music .

I seem to remember an Emerson Lake and Palmer album "Tarkus" that had a sound in a drum solo that circled the surround field in QS. It was my brother's record in the '70s. I don't have the record and I can't remember which track.

I seem to remember an Emerson Lake and Palmer album "Tarkus" that had a sound in a drum solo that circled the surround field in QS. It was my brother's record in the '70s. I don't have the record and I can't remember which track.

That would probably be ELP 'S First album with Carl Palmer's song "Tank" which does exactly what you said in QS .
BTW it's a Dynaquad recommend recording .

The song "Tank" unfortunately was not included in the Steven Wilson remix of the DVDA . Too bad as that was the one song I really wanted to hear mixed in 5.1 Surround .
Rather disappointed they chose not to use Penteo on that very natural surround performance . :(

Another wide panner,

Donovan - Barabajagal on Epic Records .
Recommend the title song "Barabajagal" , and "Atlantis" , "Superlungs My Supergirl" and "Happiness Runs".

Also

Donovan : Hurdy Gurdy Man ..."The Hurdy Gurdy Man" title track. Lots of echo and guitar solos.
Add : "The River Song" as well.

Last edited:
Excellent echo , effects dual guitar solos ? from Jimmy and pounding bass from John Paul Jones on this Classic :

From .....LED ZEPPELIN - ONE

"How Many More Times" , "Good Times Bad Times" , "Communication Breakdown" , and more .

Excellent echo , effects dual guitar solos ? from Jimmy and pounding bass from John Paul Jones on this Classic :

From .....LED ZEPPELIN - ONE

"How Many More Times" , "Good Times Bad Times" , "Communication Breakdown" , and more .

Add ,"You Shook Me Babe" from Zep 1 , both wide and rapid panning on this song.

Was listening to Ten Years After -Stonedhenge, the 2 disc cd set with the album in mono and stereo plus a cd of bonus tracks........

On the short timed song "Faro" there is a guitar elongated note that occurs at about 5 secs in and moves from back to front in the left channel, and once again at 1:08 , but this time it goes front to back in the left channel..
A natural surround occurrence. I listened in Dolby Pro 1.

Worth trying !

Back