would you keep it or start over - sansui fr-5800 - cracked dustcover

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antigravitytea

Item number: 110130496387 see this in "completed auctions"

monkey shipped it and it now has cracked dustcover - not on top , but back left corner:mad:

im not sure if i should send it back - lose 30 dollars - or keep it with a cracked dustcover.:rolleyes:

seems to be a not so often seen model of the fr-5080 quad ttable - just with woodgrain vinyl sticker instead of the all black.:mad:@:

i also have a fr-3080 - is the fr-5080 (5800) that much better?:confused:

so what would you do? - spend 30 dollars to get a $97 in refund? or keep the turntable because it is sooooo good and rare - even with the custom cracked dustcover?

and how does the fr5080 compare to the fr3080? :mad:@:

thanks fellas
willy

:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

This can be a very frustrating thing! Despite many letters to sellers before I paid after winning, I've received items not packed correctly all the time. I've received amps with no padding, no double box resulting in cracked glass or even a mint amp turned into a box of firewood. In that case I demanded and received a full refund plus shipping. I once had a record mailed to me in only a brown envelope! You can imagine the result. Amazingly, a Sansui QRX-5500 shipped UPS ground with no padding that ripped through it's original shipping box arrived with little damage.

If you like the turntable I would keep it but ask for a partial refund and show the seller the damage. Also, keep the original packing materials so you can show how it was damaged. The turntable may work fine and later on you may find another one like it non-working, but with a new like dust cover.

The same thing happened to me. I saw a Sansui turntable on eBay that looked great, and grabbbed it to keep as an "upstairs by the PC" turntable. It's an SR-838. It was in "perfect" shape, clean as a whistle. I bought a Shure M-24H put put on it, but when it arrived, the dust cover was cracked. It was shipped in the original box, in another box. The seller did everything right.

What can you do?

Item number: 110130496387 see this in "completed auctions"

monkey shipped it and it now has cracked dustcover - not on top , but back left corner:mad:

im not sure if i should send it back - lose 30 dollars - or keep it with a cracked dustcover.:rolleyes:

seems to be a not so often seen model of the fr-5080 quad ttable - just with woodgrain vinyl sticker instead of the all black.:mad:@:

i also have a fr-3080 - is the fr-5080 (5800) that much better?:confused:

so what would you do? - spend 30 dollars to get a $97 in refund? or keep the turntable because it is sooooo good and rare - even with the custom cracked dustcover?

and how does the fr5080 compare to the fr3080? :mad:@:

thanks fellas
willy

:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

Thers not much info on the 5080 or the 4060 ( I had QB look in his Sansui model book) that is on ebay right now but fr stood for four channel ready. The 5800 is a DD and the 3080 a belt drive and as you know the platter is smaller on the 3080 and the 5800 has the strobe . If the 5080 has rca jacks in the back then it has low cap wireing. Does the table say on it some where, some thing like whats on the 9001, 2/4? As far as functionality, both would get the job done

Last edited:
Back