Quadraphonic.info now up for your Manuals, Articles, etc.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
Hey, we’ve got the site up and running proper and we could use manuals that you’ve personally scanned, articles you’ve written, old ads having to do with Multi-Channel, Quadraphonic brochures, whatever. I’m still trying to figure out what to do with it, what can be done and posted with certain material and how much effort to put into it as I am involved with other projects. You can send stuff and we will figure out how it could be used. I would also encourage others to collect these manuals as well so they’re not all in one place. The internet is an amazing place, but items and information do go away, never to found again.

The idea here is folks over the years have looked for manuals that have been OOP for more than 35 years or more at QQ and many members have been generous to scan something and send it to another member. Years go by and someone else asks for the same thing again, but something may or may not be available. This already happened with one thread at QQ here.

So if we can keep everything in one place where we can direct folks, we should be good. We also should open this up for free manuals on how one can create various discs. We seem to answer the same questions again and there are still many things I’d like to know proper, such as creating the DVD-V section of a DVD-A disc. I know there are many approaches and tools to create discs. So perhaps if we could direct someone to the proper PDF info, we could then better spend our time helping guide folks through the steps and the bugs and mishaps that happen along the way. I’d also like to have a page of info for “upmixing” as well, so no one in the surround community will be left out. It’s also possible to perhaps put up survey’s to prove how much interest there is in re-releasing a MC title. We’ll see. The record companies should be doing that sort of work.

It’s also possible a page or section for original new music or other titles for sale might be done in the future. Would I like to possibly make money with the site? Perhaps, if something new and creative could be done to promote surround sound. But we don’t want to make it at the expense of anyone or anything and keep information free. I also hate going to websites with their spyware ADs that won’t load and websites that look cluttered and crappy. I also want to use the site to advocate for more Multi-Channel releases as well and we could write articles to help promote MC. Also, why not share one’s experience with Quad, past or present, whatever. I certainly do not wish to duplicate or compete with whatever’s already out there. Anyway, this is a work in progress; here are some guidelines of sorts for submitting material. Any idea’s, suggestions or whatever feel free to speak up or send e-mail.

If you find manuals already scanned, whether old or new relating to Multi-Channel send us the links and we’ll just link in a fair manor to the other site. We will however still DL manuals as you never know when a site will go down and therefore the need to repost. It’s best not to send manuals that someone scanned for sale on eBay. They did the work, so I can see their right to sell it there. However, we have the right to scan our own manuals and post for free.

Professional printing is done at 300 dpi at the very least (I’ve published 2 Comic Books). It would be nice to save at that and higher resolutions for PDF, but I’m not sure. I’m just learning Acrobat Pro, so I like the idea of the highest resolution without the files being too big. But with unlimited bandwidth and storage space, these issues should not be a big deal and yet we should be mindful of such issues. Any info here would be helpful. Thanks.

http://www.quadraphonic.info

Very Nice, Jim!!

I added the Quadraphonic.info site to the "Surround Links" section on the QQ Home Page. Let's hope this becomes a great resource.

Very Nice, Jim!!

I added the Quadraphonic.info site to the "Surround Links" section on the QQ Home Page. Let's hope this becomes a great resource.

Thanks Jon! And thank you for your help. Thanks for the nice comments Tim.

Yes, let's see what we can do here. We can post Quad Manuals and other old manuals if it's scanned by the members here, otherwise we'll link to other sites. I suppose some scanning info should be given at some point and if saved properly, I or someone else should be able to put them together as a PDF. Also, articles could be sent by Word or E-mail and turned into Surround article PDF. I will take whatever is offered, but do need to be careful what might be posted at first. But we can seek out permission and work out the details. Thanks.

Anyone remember QQ Member 'CaptainQuad'? He was going to do the same thing that Jim is doing. He even asked "permission" to use the QQ Banner at the top of his web page. Funny, he was all fired up, then he disappeared.

I hope nothing happened to him. His prototype site is still there. The guy was really into it, too. Strange.

http://crabradio.net/quad/

From Feb, 2005
Jon:

I'm really glad you like it thus far, and we are fairly close to publicly letting people in on this. Even QuadBob has said he'd send some stufff.

Really glad to be able to help others out in this area, and since I'm into electronics to begin with, what better area than to help provide literature to others that are 'searching'

I'll have to message Malcolm to see if he mailed that cd, but I am being patient as he is in the UK. I really can't wait to 'let the cat outta the bag'

Thanks for the link to "CaptainQuad." The 2 service manuals links have nothing there. However, I was able to get the QRX 8001 - 9001 Service manual and will post. If he's still around perhaps he might have more stuff and might want to help.

EDIT: Looks like last Blog post was on June 5, 2008 http://crabradio.net:

June 5, 2008, 18:33 - CRAB News
Oops.

Forgot to upload last week's concert to the server. Sorry, had a busy week.

As always, the files are at: http://crabradio.net/midweek/

Also, you will need the password, if you need it, just email me using the Contact Me link on the right.

Cap

Thanks Jim for doing this. If everyone emails you what they have, your site will become a very valuble resource.

Website updated. Went through the old hard drive and found more stuff different QQ members were generous to share with us in the past few years.

If you can scan and send in .jpeg or other file formats, I can put together on website as a .PDF. The higher the resolution the better IMO. 300 dpi is for professional printing and would be great, but 200 dpi might be good enough. Anyway, thanks for QQ members help and consideration.

Can you state if it's a receiver, a decoder, a quad reel, a demodulator...
Also is it possible to add FULL scans of OBI, stickers, inserts, especially promo inserts, promo letter(s) (from CBS...), promo poscard, strips from some EPs... PHOTO of poster... For obi and sticker for best quality MAYBE in bitmap? Well at least MUST BE THE BEST QUALITY
If you can't do this on the Quadraphonic.info site can someone get it together to do this, in hoping AT LAST this will happen!!!!
Curry on the GOOD work!!!!

Can you state if it's a receiver, a decoder, a quad reel, a demodulator...

I can and should be mindful of that. We should also have Quad record and tape scans as well. These items are fading away with time as well. As far as quality of what I post, quality is dependent on what I've received in the past or in the future. But as time goes on I'm sure items will get replaced with better scans.

We could do ourselves a lot of favors if we could figure out what the proper scanning DPI and how it should be saved. Items don't have to be PDF if that means a lack of quality, they could be zipped. Although I have sent PDFs (at high DPI rate) to be printed for Ads in book.

We need instructions for sure and any help or suggestions would be welcome. In general though, the higher the DPI (Dots Per Inch) the better. Professional printing is done at 300 DPI and higher, depending how or where and what is to be printed.

Another upgrade today. I'm tired, but it looks much better, it's getting there. Lot's of CD-4 stuff someone here was nice enough to give to us all at QQ a few years ago. There are also some great surround links in the "Articles" sections and you can download stuff from the other sites there. Some great info.

As far as sending stuff, just scan at around 200 DPI to 300 DPI if you can (or go lower whatever) and send in whatever format works best for you. I can compile it into PDF or "as is" in a Zip file. I can accept depending on mine and yours mail servers around 15 to 20 MB files at a time. For higher file sizes, please e-mail or PM. Thanks.

If anyone has a scan of an owner's manual for a Hughes AK-100, I would like to have that posted. I have searched the internet and no one seems to know exactly what the "Rev Trim" and "Filter" buttons do on these units.
Thanks!

If anyone has a scan of an owner's manual for a Hughes AK-100, I would like to have that posted. I have searched the internet and no one seems to know exactly what the "Rev Trim" and "Filter" buttons do on these units.
Thanks!

I have one - the Rev Trim is "Reverb Trim" and cuts the amount of reverb around vocals if it is too much with SRS on. The Filter button is a sub-sonic filter - SRS can sometimes enhance sub-sonics, so this cuts them. Sorry I don't have the manual anymore - I only have the manual for the AK-500 Retriever.

It's too bad "SRS Labs" ruined the original Hughes technology - they took out the servos, so SRS is no longer able to adapt itself to the content and you have to constantly change it for every song now.

Thanks, Disclord. I assumed that is what those buttons were for, but with the small system I was testing the unit with, I couldn't be sure.

Is the Hughes AK-100 significantly different (in performance) from the Nureality VHT-200?

Thanks, Disclord. I assumed that is what those buttons were for, but with the small system I was testing the unit with, I couldn't be sure.

Is the Hughes AK-100 significantly different (in performance) from the Nureality VHT-200?

Oh, yeah, it is. Only the 2 Hughes units have the HTRF's (Head Related Transfer Functions) modified by feedback servos, so once you've set the level of Center and Space to your liking, it stays there - without the servo's, the unit has to be basically adjusted for every song unless you don't mind some songs with too much space or too much center information. SRS threw out the servo's when they bought the system from Hughes because it made it MUCH cheaper to manufacture as an IC. The HTRF's are also more accurate - in the SRS Labs units, they are 'kind close' to the original Hughes HTRF's, but not at all accurate. With the Servo's and accurate HTRF's in the Hughes, the system produces a much better effect without any of the drawbacks of the system - heck, even The Absolute Sound gave the original AK-100 a thumbs up - not so much the later SRS Labs versions. Only the AK-100 and AK-500 have the 'real' SRS system in them.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Hughes version of SRS - there is also a servo on the "Center" signal, so the L+R component of the signal will always maintain the level you've set it for with the Center control. It won't become drowned in reverb or L-R info, which is a MAJOR failing of many 'sound enhancement' systems - even olden ones like the Omnisonix (SP?) Imager. It's now, sadly, a problem with the SRS Lab's version of SRS in any unit of any vintage other than the first two stand-alone units from Hughes. BTW, the servos ARE in some TV sets, such as Sony's last 35-inch XBR before they went flat-Wega tubes - since the location of the speakers is 'known', adjustable Center/Space controls generally aren't provided - sadly, Hughes allowed companies to play with the HTRF's in their television set designs, which in most cases, makes the SRS unlistenable. I've never heard a Sony implementation that I've liked, even though Sony created a complex single IC for SRS that had the full servo's and the mono-to-stereo synthesizer, which is one really fantastic part of the SRS system - no one has synthesized stereo as well as the SRS design does - even in the later non-servo NuReality, etc... units.

Thank you for this.

Glad to see a number of my scans have been moved to your site.

As you know from my posts, I stopped scanning my quadraphonic library because I could not find a reliable, long term place to post the files.

Now that you are doing that, I have to get back into scanning mode.

Here's one for you.

My CD-4 stuff was all in a bag handed out by JVC at the AES convention where they introduced CD-4.

It reads “JVC CD-4 Discreet Four Channel Record System”

Where can I leave that CD-4 bag for posterity?

Where is the Quad Museum?

I've never heard a Sony implementation that I've liked, even though Sony created a complex single IC for SRS that had the full servo's and the mono-to-stereo synthesizer, which is one really fantastic part of the SRS system - no one has synthesized stereo as well as the SRS design does - even in the later non-servo NuReality, etc... units.

I lent my AK100 to Robert Winder at Warner Hollywood. He was impressed by the mono-to-stereo synthesizer, and it was used on many of their soundtracks.

Finally I found one at a stereo store out in the SoCal desert. Called him and Warner Bros.'s bought it, and I got mine back.

Anyone who has heard a Warner Bros' movie in the last some 20 years has heard the AK100 on some background effects.

Back