Is the DSOTM Pink Vinyl album on ebay the real deal?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wapfu

Probably to late now as I have one, now the same one or similar is back up for sale :eek:.
Posted from Wales.

There is a Pink Floyd, pink vinyl, Quad SQ album being sold on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FLOYD-...60653087697?pt=UK_Records&hash=item2567ab93d1

The vinyl is Pink, mint, unused but the cover makes mention of a 1993 picture disc on the back.
Cover is single - just front and back -says EMI Australia.
All selections published by TRO-Hampshire House Publishing Corp
Cover looks really new also, no production date stated.
Haven't played it as it arrived today.
Central label is harvest with 1973 on it.
SHVLA.804
QHVL.804A AND ON THE OTHER SIDE QHVL.804B
Markings have engraved DSOTM 001 A-1 AND DSOTM 001 B-1 not stamped.

The only info I can find surfing is it looks close to a 1988 special release from Australia without the sticker on the top left.

Oh well no fool like an old fool eah.
Any one know anything?

I know that there is a Pink Vinyl version from Australia, and it looks like the one in the picture. I think it would be a bit "advanced" for a bootlegger to make up some pink LPs, but you never know.

How about a PF expert chiming in, because to me it looks legit.

I'm no authority but I believe it was released on pink vinyl in Australia to honor the 1988 PF tour or something like that.
It IS SQ quad... I have one and it decodes quite nicely.

-B

Its just that the gatefold / cover has reference to a 1993 picture disc, and if it is from 1988, a future date would not appear?
Dang - test will be in the playing.
If it decodes - bonus - still worries me the album cover now.
I have located info that the third release in Australia was for the tour in 1988 and in pink vinyl.
http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DAuLPPF.htm#DSOTMP1

The disc is heavier than normal whether its 144 gram not sure - don't have scales suitable to weigh it.

Title: The Dark Side Of The Moon
Record Company: Harvest Records
Catalog Numbers: Q4 SHVLA.804
Matrix Information: (side 1 / side 2)
1) QHVL 804 A-3 SHVLA 804 -A- / QHVL 804 B-3 SHVLA 804 -B- 6B (both stamped except SHVLA numbers written)
2) QHVL 804 A-3 SHVLA 804 -A- 8B2 / QHVL 804 B-3 SHVLA 804 -B- 6C (both stamped except SHVLA numbers written)
Release Date: 1988
Release Information: 1988 limited edition tour reissue in quadraphonic on pink vinyl.
Record Weight: 144 grams
Description: Gatefold cover.
Front Cover: Black with prism. Title printed in circle on cover in upper right. SQ logo in lower right. Pink sticker in upper left corner says " limited tour edition Pink Vinyl."
Back Cover: Black with prism.
Inserts: None.
Labels: Yellow / green Harvest labels.
Text around the top edge of the label starts at 10 o 'clock and says:

E.M.I. (Australia) Limited. All rights of the manufacturer and of the owner of the recorded work reserved.

Text around the bottom edge of the label starts at 8 o 'clock and says:

Made in Australia
Unauthorised public performance, broadcasting and copying of this record prohibited.

And the interesting thing is the seller in the UK doesn't know what release it is.
May not even be Australian.
A similar copy being sold out of Australia, according to the seller there was sourced from the UK.
This copy is a mystery now.

And it could be this one: re released 2007 which would account for its mint condition.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon
Label:
EMI Music (Australia) – Q4 SHVLA.804
Format:
Vinyl, Reissue, LP, Limited Edition
Australia
Released:
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Psychedelic Rock, Classic Rock

Notes▼

Re-issue, Re-pressed ON **** PINK VINYL ****
Also comes with a **** LARGE POSTER **** which measures 20" x 27".
The front of sleeve says its a Limited Tour Edition, Coloured Vinyl, which has been printed onto the sleeve

except that the sleeve doesn't have "Limited Tour edition".

Dang - where does it come from.

I have a copy of the pink 1988 Australian edition mentioned above, if you want me to look at anything. I bought it new in 1988. Pretty much mint...

I have a copy of the pink 1988 Australian edition mentioned above, if you want me to look at anything. I bought it new in 1988. Pretty much mint...
What sort of inner record sleeve does it have?

The inner sleeve is Paper - really really new paper at that.
With all the Pink Floyd re- releases - could this be a re-release within the last few years BY EMI Australia?
The outer is not a gatefold just simple single sleeve design.

I have recently picked up the second Australian Release in SQ, in fold out gate fold sleeve, disc in black vinyl - really nice disc - clean vg+++++

The inner sleeve is Paper - really really new paper at that.
With all the Pink Floyd re- releases - could this be a re-release within the last few years BY EMI Australia?
The outer is not a gatefold just simple single sleeve design.

I have recently picked up the second Australian Release in SQ, in fold out gate fold sleeve, disc in black vinyl - really nice disc - clean vg+++++

OK. Mine does not have a paper inner sleeve, but rather a plastic one. In the 80's you would hardly ever see a paper sleeve in an Australian produced LP. Mine is also gatefold in style, and the SQ logo etc.

It sounds like the 2nd one you have is most likely the same as mine, the 1st one is not the 1988 tour edition, in my opinion. I have not seen the 1st one around at all in Australia, but in recent years with vinyl becoming popular again, it is possible.

I have bootleg PF vinyl from the 80's, in colours other than black. So I know some of that was around. Does the SQ play on the both?

Cheers

CV

Hi,
The SQ plays on both.
I even found that I have a NZ pressing of the standard first release which was miss pressed with the first side in quad - LOL.
Cheers

Problem is that the label on these has no SQ logo.
The one I had had an SQ logo on the label.
It appeared to decode OK so maybe there were
true SQ pinks and some fakes?

I believe that the Australian pressings (real ones) at least the black vinyl ones of the 1st and 2nd release (the pink vinyl was the 3rd release for the tour) never had the SQ logo on the label (yellow - green colour) - it appeared on the cover. likewise the fake / copy follows the same - and when I look at it - the label isn't that sharp either - lovely cover though - thinner than the normal real covers produced - nice colour reproduction. There is mention at discogs that in 2007 EMI Australia released another legitimate pink vinyl edition.
The Italian website perfectly describes the copy / fake I have to a 'T". interestingly enough the seller on ebay does have allot of these, as they keep selling and re listing - tracked a copy - it sold for 29 pound (45 USD) and the current one is 25 pound with a day to go.
I had it in my mind when I was buying the copy it was an original 1980 odd release, and then prayed when I discovered mention of 1993 on the back cover, that it was a recent release, hoping, when I discovered that there was a 2007 release it could be one - alas and alack it is the fake / copy as i have now confirmed. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dam skippy.
Because it looks so real I wonder if these guys do money? - good printing LOL.

Hi,
The SQ plays on both.
I even found that I have a NZ pressing of the standard first release which was miss pressed with the first side in quad - LOL.
Cheers

I have a NZ pressing in the NZ First XI box set. No indications it's the quad mix, but it clearly is due to certain audio clues.

A_L

What's strange is mine is definitely quad on side two. The extra bit of saxophone before the vocals on Us and Them is the clue.

A_L

Well I got fooled I bought the album before I got to this site. Now you may ask why i bothered to look it up. Because it did not sound like a quad, Nor did the LP label said Quad and that started me looking.
Sadly its the same in the picture of the site (the smudge gave it away). Its a heavy album, which confused me. But the cover looks like a modern cheap print, the back upper left lettering is not sharp whatsoever.(copyright last date was 1993), the center label is pretty good, but shiny which I assume would have been matte. It looked like it got put together. Since late 80,90 never had heavy LP's
I mean it sounds very nice, but I cant discern anything in quad. Sadly I contacted the seller for a full refund. Hope it happens. I got the 180 gram rerelease last year and sounds the same...This before I went Quad....

Back