2006 eBay Shocker Log ARCHIVE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my ebay experience at selling the second highest bidder hardly ever accepts...it's usually the third and fourth that do....a second highest bidder usually thinks there's something sneaky going on...

You may be right. Still, the fact that there is a second bidder at all is in and of itself amazing (or perhaps more appropriately---"shocking").

December update:

Interesting in that a SECOND RM Promo DSOTM LP went for $1025.00, the same amount a different one did a few weeks earlier.

Sold for $305.
I did just get a nice copy of BST 2 though, for a mere $20.
Q4.
Yum.
Time to replace the Q8 transfer I have, methinks, and do a nice little DVD-A/V of this one.

Sold for $305.
I did just get a nice copy of BST 2 though, for a mere $20.
Q4.
Yum.
Time to replace the Q8 transfer I have, methinks, and do a nice little DVD-A/V of this one.

BST2? I never heard of Columbia releasing Q4s! :confused:

Did you nab a production master?

Yeah. What's up with that????

Don't know what the story is, as I'd certainly never heard of a Columbia Q4 either.
So I grabbed the bugger on a "Buy Now" deal for $20.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220049050914&rd=1&rd=1

Is it real?
I hope so.
I will happily let the board know when it arrives....as well as make it "available". ;)
The part that has me thinking it may not be a Quad is the "STEREO" marking, but it clearly states it is a 4-Track tape. I figured that for $20 I cannot really go too far wrong.
It's a great album anyway, and for all I know it may be SQ encoded to a Reel.
I'm looking forward to finding out.

It says 4 track stereo...which is quarter track...not quadraphonic..

i.e. 2 tracks on one side and 2 on the other....
most stereo pre recorded tapes were made this way.

whereas 4 channel tapes are 4 tracks in one direction...and there is no side 2...
(well you can turn the tape over , but you get the same 4 tracks backwards)

Neil,
it is a ordinary Columbia STEREO reel, as tons of others. Nothing quad.
Sorry to break your dream.

It says 4 track stereo...which is quarter track...not quadraphonic..

i.e. 2 tracks on one side and 2 on the other....
most stereo pre recorded tapes were made this way.

whereas 4 channel tapes are 4 tracks in one direction...and there is no side 2...
(well you can turn the tape over , but you get the same 4 tracks backwards)

Yeah, I always found it strange that with so many SQ quad LPs, Q8 tapes and stereo reels; that Columbia wouldn't release Q4 quad reels ... especially when Sony built a LOT of quad reel decks.

Nothing has changed I guess ... they still keep building SACD players after abandoning the software. At least they are predictable. Mike.

Yeah, I always found it strange that with so many SQ quad LPs, Q8 tapes and stereo reels; that Columbia wouldn't release Q4 quad reels ... especially when Sony built a LOT of quad reel decks.

Well, Columbia wasn't Sony back in those days. That aside, it's still odd given that Columbia made reels for so long. You could still get new albums on reels via their record club for quite a while after they disappeared from stores. They'd even make reels of albums released on non-CBS labels.

I'm not sure what their last release was, but they were doing it into the 1980s. I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Thriller" on eBay before.

Well, Columbia wasn't Sony back in those days. That aside, it's still odd given that Columbia made reels for so long. You could still get new albums on reels via their record club for quite a while after they disappeared from stores. They'd even make reels of albums released on non-CBS labels.

I'm not sure what their last release was, but they were doing it into the 1980s. I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Thriller" on eBay before.

Actually, I believe that in Japan they were. I have a few imported SQ quad LPs from Sony by Columbia artists. Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back