What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live at the Carousel Ballroom 1968 - Big Brother & the Holding Co. feat. Janis Joplin

Linda, how is this one? I read that the stereo mix was like the old Beatles stereo mixes. Extreme right /left separation. (Personally I kinda like that). I am guessing that you got the CD. It is also available on LP. Do you think the recording would benefit from the vinyl treatment?

Tracked down a vinyl copy of Cop Shoot Cop's Release album. Had to get it from the UK and shipping was almost as much as the album itself, but worth it. Still a lot cheaper than the ones on Amazon going for between $60 used to $200 new!

The performance is very good. Vintage BB/Joplin. Yes, the mix is as you said. Beyond the mix, the fidelity and clarity is surprisingly good for 45 YO live. However, the high end is a bit muted. If you're a fan, it's a must have! There are other studio and live releases which have a better mix and fidelity. Nevertheless, I went "Wow!" the minute it began to play. Depending on your playback gear, this may yield little of vinyl's openness, warmth or zingy high end. Like anything, they need to be A/B'ed to truly make that call.

I popped it into the DVD-A changer in my convertible upon leaving the store. One of my GF's was with me. Like most women, she said she wasn't fond of Joplin. IMHO, she is the greatest vocalist rock ever produced.

There is an insert touting "The Pearl Sessions" 2CD set available in April. "Recently discovered, unreleased studio outtakes, alternate takes, banter and mono versions of the album's singles." There will be an abbreviated 2 LP set, as well. http://janisjoplin.shop.bravadousa.com/Product.aspx?cp=42401_55275&pc=BGCDJL11 I'll be standing in line for that, although I've already popped for the other 2 disc expanded Pearl, SQ, Q8, and a couple box sets. Can you say sucker?

Linda, how is this one? I read that the stereo mix was like the old Beatles stereo mixes. Extreme right /left separation. (Personally I kinda like that). I am guessing that you got the CD. It is also available on LP. Do you think the recording would benefit from the vinyl treatment?

The performance is very good. Vintage BB/Joplin. Yes, the mix is as you said. Beyond the mix, the fidelity and clarity is surprisingly good for 45 YO live. However, the high end is a bit muted. If you're a fan, it's a must have! There are other studio and live releases which have a better mix and fidelity. Nevertheless, I went "Wow!" the minute it began to play. Depending on your playback gear, this may yield little of vinyl's openness, warmth or zingy high end. Like anything, they need to be A/B'ed to truly make that call.

I popped it into the DVD-A changer in my convertible upon leaving the store. One of my GF's was with me. Like most women, she said she wasn't fond of Joplin. IMHO, she is the greatest vocalist rock ever produced.

There is an insert touting "The Pearl Sessions" 2CD set available in April. "Recently discovered, unreleased studio outtakes, alternate takes, banter and mono versions of the album's singles." There will be an abbreviated 2 LP set, as well. http://janisjoplin.shop.bravadousa.com/Product.aspx?cp=42401_55275&pc=BGCDJL11 I'll be standing in line for that, although I've already popped for the other 2 disc expanded Pearl, SQ, Q8, and a couple box sets. Can you say sucker?

Thanks for your thoughts. I love the Big Brother sound, and my wife is a huge JJ fan. I'll have to add this one to our collection.

Good to know about "The Pearl Sessions", sounds cool, I'll look for it.

This one amazed me: Lionel Richie "Tuskegee"

Lionel has a host of country stars sing his songs with him.
Lionel's voice is still spot on and the music has been changed ever so slightly to give it a country flavor.
Well done. :smokin

I was a bad boy and "splurged" 10 Euros on a minty UK Jet copy of ELO's "A New World Record"... I had bought the Japanese expanded mini LP edition (before I reconverted back to vinilo), and the extra info and booklet are a nice extra...but the cillia tingling of the vinyl makes it worth it!

...you and your sweet desire. I have a CD and my original UA LP of that. Had a promo blue 2 LP and kite of Out of the Blue. Sold it for $50 when I got the CD. It's a bad dream.

I'm takin a dive...

I was a bad boy and "splurged" 10 Euros on a minty UK Jet copy of ELO's "A New World Record"... I had bought the Japanese expanded mini LP edition (before I reconverted back to vinilo), and the extra info and booklet are a nice extra...but the cillia tingling of the vinyl makes it worth it!

...you and your sweet desire. I have a CD and my original UA LP of that. Had a promo blue 2 LP and kite of Out of the Blue. Sold it for $50 when I got the CD. It's a bad dream.

I'm takin a dive...

Well, we all have bad dreams!!! Sorry 'bout that , a blue one would be so...OK, I'll shut up....
I got my OOTB copy as a cut out at "Sound of Market" in Philly back inthe early 80's (it's a UA copy)...the kite went missing-still got the poster though....awesome Stan Ricker cut...found some traces of some green leafy substance in the middle of the foldout...wonder what it is?...
ND'ed it recently and it sounds "mahvelous"...really wouldn't need a MCH mix since they messed around so much with phase stuff that it decodes almost perfectly on DPL II (and besides, the multis are missing :( )...now "Time" in MCH would be ...did I mention some green leafy stuff???

:smokin

In '79, I decided I needed to replace my Moby Grape Wow, which was 11 years old and OOP. I found one at Laury's in Evanston with a condom in it! No oregano.

Listening to Gino Vannelli as I write this. He synthesizes pretty nice. When I think about those nights in Montreal...

...the kite went missing-still got the poster though....found some traces of some green leafy substance in the middle of the foldout...wonder what it is? ...did I mention some green leafy stuff??? :smokin

I finally upgraded to blu-ray and the first disc was ADELE - LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL which has a surround mix I was completely unimpressed with, but the performance blew me away! Then it was on to ADELE 21 which caused me to then get 19. Hope someone starts an Adele thread here soon, there are audiophile aspects to the live sound, just poor use of the rears IMO.

New York Tendaberry (expanded) - Laura Nyro My 4th copy. In my top 100 albums. Madison smiled, and she hung with a band of strays...

wonderful album, horrible remaster. If you turn the treble way down and the bass way up, it's more listenable...otherwise that treble can tear your head off!

Bowie's "Station to Station" special edition (not the full box, I already had that) with the Analogue Master downrezzed to CD & the Nassau Coliseum show.
All I have to do now is swap out the version of "Panic In Detroit" on the CD for the full-length one that was only made available online for some reason.

Peter Hammill - Consequences
A Girl Called Eddy - Tears All Over Town
no-man - love and endings

I received one of the two Talk Talk vinyls from the UK today, with the DVD inside the sleeve (which is inside a sleeve). Will be playing it later. Says it came from a 16bit 44.1 or 48 khz source, even though it is 24/96. Just won't be any content above 22khz.

more in the mail today:

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Hammersmith Odeon '75
had this on a vinyl bootleg way back in the day, now gotten an official release. giving it a spin now, good show and the sound is better than the old boots were

Sixteen Horsepower - Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
filling in a gap in my collection

Sounds like one I need to acquire. He did some wonderful solo stuff and some great Utopia stuff, too. I especially enjoyed Deface the Music, his homage to the Beatles.
more in the mail today:

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Hammersmith Odeon '75
had this on a vinyl bootleg way back in the day, now gotten an official release. giving it a spin now, good show and the sound is better than the old boots were

Back