What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All CD's:
Shape Shifter - Santana
2116458628.jpg

That's Why God Made the Radio - Beach Boys
61apT9atXjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Complete Columbia Singles - Mark Lindsay
coverwjudn.jpg

Heaven is in Your Mind - Traffic (mono version of US Dear Mr. Fantasy album) When I had the choice, I ALWAYS bought stereo over mono. And later, Quad over stereo. After Quad petered out, I began to buy mono copies of many of my favorites. They seldom sounded radically different. Occasionally a different take, an early fade, etc. I own the 2ch US UA LP and an Island CD of Dear Mr. Fantasy. In the 43 years I've listened to this album, it never sounded like this. I love it!! It's a bit more compressed and there is less spatiality. Still, these mono mixes make sense. A NEW FAVORITE!!
Traffic-Heaven-Is-In-Your-497840.jpg

Last edited:
The mono Traffic Lp is actually more uncommon than it is rare...but the error is understandable since 1968 was the transition year where the labels (some fast, some slowly) phased out monaural editions (England and other countries took longer--sometimes much longer--to do the same). For instance, Dylan's JWH is fairly common as a mono title, while Simon & Garfunkel's BOOKENDS in mono is uncommon and usually commands a hefty price tag in mint condition (understandably so: it's a great dedicated mono mix, obviously a different mix at the outset, not a fold-down). Columbia issued stock mono pressings throughout the year, though most of these never got a Billboard listing; and the label pressed some mono-only promo Lp's as well. RCA Victor did the same, but the difference was that most of their titles had both mono and stereo pressings. Elektra, with very rare exception, stopped pressing mono Lp's in early '68, and some only exist as DJ pressings. UA, like Decca and Atlantic/Atco, stopped in mid-year, Capitol earlier but still some mono's out there if you look.

Nice that some audiophile labels have been pressing mono mixes in recent years, and some of these have made it to compact disc, also.

ED :)

There are many more mono mixes on CD than one might think. True, there are even more mono LP reissues. Here's a few mono CD's that I own. Likely I've forgotten some. Dylan & Beatles mono boxes. Are You Experienced (UK) - Hendrix. Mr. Tamborine Man & Notorious Byrd Bros. (both mono SACD), Younger Than Yesterday (Gold). Disraeli Gears(Gold) - Cream, Monkees, More of Monkees, Headquarters, Pisces, Jones, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off & Surrealistic Pillow (Gold), are all coupled w/stereo editions. Pet Sounds has mono w/2ch & 5.1 on the DVD-A.

The mono Traffic is the best mono mix I've heard! I own hundreds of them. I give them an ocassional listen for a change, but the stereo (surround, where available) gets heavy rotation.

The mono Traffic Lp is actually more uncommon than it is rare...but the error is understandable since 1968 was the transition year where the labels (some fast, some slowly) phased out monaural editions (England and other countries took longer--sometimes much longer--to do the same). For instance, Dylan's JWH is fairly common as a mono title, while Simon & Garfunkel's BOOKENDS in mono is uncommon and usually commands a hefty price tag in mint condition (understandably so: it's a great dedicated mono mix, obviously a different mix at the outset, not a fold-down). Columbia issued stock mono pressings throughout the year, though most of these never got a Billboard listing; and the label pressed some mono-only promo Lp's as well. RCA Victor did the same, but the difference was that most of their titles had both mono and stereo pressings. Elektra, with very rare exception, stopped pressing mono Lp's in early '68, and some only exist as DJ pressings. UA, like Decca and Atlantic/Atco, stopped in mid-year, Capitol earlier but still some mono's out there if you look.

Nice that some audiophile labels have been pressing mono mixes in recent years, and some of these have made it to compact disc, also.

ED :)

Bob Dylan/Real Live
Great band; Mick Taylor; (my favorite), Ian McGlagen, etc.
Some great tracks from Infidels, as well as Masters of War, & others
Always had the LP; now have the CD to burn on my Acura/TL hard drive,
and add to my Itunes, & BlackBerry 9900
Highly recommended!

Forgot I had ordered this one (arrived yesterday).
The Faces - Definitive Rock Collection. (2CD).
It's been mastered extremely loud, but not clipped that I can tell anywhere - and they were always better loud.

big spender this week
Can - The Lost tapes - 3CD set
Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania (The new album and best album since Melon Colli.. IMHO)
Neu!
Neu!2
and The Allman Brothers - Live in Germany 1991 semi legit 2 CD set (waiting for the DVD of same set)

The Beach Boys latest.......there can't be many more to come, and its a good disc!
The Fonotipia 78 of Giuseppe Anselmi "L'Africaine".....Yes, its opera, but the best acoustically recorded opera discs ever made....not cheap. Had to give a crankng good spin on the latest Columbia Grafonola acquisition.
Hi Rez? Not quite, but surprisingly clear and loud. John

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do (Deluxe Version)
Can - The Lost Tapes (3cd box)
Sigur Ros - Valtari

From spanish online sellers:
Xanadu- Olivia(always had a soft spot for her...)& "ELO" -UK pressing .mint with postcards, merchandise flyer, lyrics...never had that on LP (or any other medium)
Time-ELO -NM UK pressing-I have the US pressing from "remember the good old 1980s" , bought when it came out...I played it to death , and although ClickRepair is AWESOME, it can only go that far...so I wanted an upgrade...

and something from this millenium....

Keane- Perfect Symmetry (better than their last effort, IMO) ... since I have H&F on Dual Disc DVD-A and UTIS on LP, I said, might as well....

Rosalie Sorrells / Travelin' Lady Lp
Wes Montgomery / Bumpin' Lp MFSL
Intruders / Energy Of Love Lp

PATTO
"Roll 'em Smoke 'em Put another Line out"
1972 VG+++ US Island pressing....
Featuring the first punk song ever "Loud green song" ("pisssoff!!!")..Ollie's solo is the wildest one ever.....(Linda, this is the one with the intro where the drummer sez "Whatever you do DON'T MAKE IT SOUND LIKE SERGIO MENDES!!!!"...and then one of the members starts a count-in like Sergio..heh heh heh)

Also featuring one of the most disturbing songs ever..."Mummy"...

This is great...nothing like an LP to bring an album alive.....

Now, I'm missing "Hold your fire"...their best and most expensive one...

Killing Joke - Down by the River (new live disc they did thru Pledge Music)

Genesis - Archive Vol.1 67-75 (wanted this from the get go but it was way overpriced I thought, finally found it for a price I was willing to pay)

Bill Nelson - Joy Through Amplification

Back