BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Blue- please tell your friend that I appreciated the interview he did with the boss man from Universal regarding the high fidelity pure audio blu-ray disc. now i know why it was launched in France. i'm curious as to the next bunch of titles coming out. he said warners in france were doing some too. interesting. i'm glad he seemed positive about finding and putting it on the labels-the sourcing info.
again fred blue- thankssssssssssss

I found this exchange quite staggering...

SDE: One thing I’ve noticed recently is that some smaller labels are starting to bring out product on Blu-ray audio. For instance there’s an XTC album that’s just come out called ‘Nonsuch’. Andy Partridge from the band has his own label called Ape and he’s licensed the content from whoever owns it. Anyway, he’s put out a CD+Blu-ray audio combo pack…

ORM: A Blu-ray Pure Audio? 24/96 minimum?

SDE: Yes, it’s hi-res – it’s as good as what you’re doing, but on the blu-ray, they’ve got the original version of the album – in hi-res – they’ve got a new Steven Wilson remix, also in hi-res, they’ve got demos, video content, an instrumental version of the album… in other words they’ve got a hell of a lot of content on there. Does that worry you? Is that a threat to you? Because despite the clarity and the great sound, some of your products are eight tracks, or 10 tracks and that’s it.

ORM: It’s a good point. I have a personal belief and I’m going to share it with you, and I’m not the only one who thinks this…. Do I want to do a Blu-ray Video? Because that’s what they’re doing. They’re creating a Blu-ray video…

SDE: Well video is part of it…

ORM: Exactly, that’s my point. It’s different; it’s not the same thing. At the moment the only thing we’re doing… an artist has created an album, in a certain order, in a certain way. All this is creativity, creative musical thinking, and he [the artist] wants to put it in front of the public in that way. And all we’re doing is respecting that 100%. Except it’s in hi-def. It’s as he recorded it in the studio. Second point, it’s actually not the same thing – listening to music and watching music. You normally watch only once. When you listen, you listen many times. It’s a different experience and I don’t think it’s the right strategy at the beginning to include all this content. Because where’s the limit? We’re launching a standardised format. One time it will be a gallery of 100 photos, the next time there will be backstage video content, etc etc.

Monsieur Robert-Murphy displays complete and total ignorance and arrogance. His responses here can easily be translated as, "Who? They've released what? Done way better than us? Nooooo, it can't be. They're not really Blu Ray albums because they dare to include extra content."

Doomed to failure, I'm afraid.

he knows full well what other people are doing with the capacity and capability of Blu-ray for Audio.. It's just that doing what XTC/DGM etc have done costs money and requires a great deal of hard work, skill and talent.. much easier and cheaper to just plonk an old album in whatever "best" quality you've got to hand on a disc, no frills, requiring NO hard work, NO skill and NO talent - all for as little money as possible.

you'll notice ORM says it's not "the right strategy at the beginning" to introduce all the added content.. no, that's right it's not. sell us the basic version now and with a fraction of the proceeds fund the next "souped-up" Blu-ray, then the Deluxe High Fidelity, then Super Deluxe High Fidelity with 100 photo gallery...

I just found the whole interview a bit sad. The reasoning behind the project (new format, decent sound) seems to have been a good one but the execution has been pitiful. A quick check on the DRM database for the Nirvana Nevermind album (sorry to keep harping on about this) shows that the Blu-ray PCM track has the same value as the current CDs and the "Mastered for iTunes" version: 7. If they had used the master tape that was used for the original CD then the DRM would have been at least 12 (and made it a whole lot easier to listen to). The only thing that I'm grateful for is all the effort (and money) that fredblue has put into his warnings/recommendations regarding the sound quality on these discs. A 5.1 mix and/or extra tracks would have been a nice bonus but we shouldn't need to be querying the basic sound quality of these efforts.:mad:

I just found the whole interview a bit sad. The reasoning behind the project (new format, decent sound) seems to have been a good one but the execution has been pitiful. A quick check on the DRM database for the Nirvana Nevermind album (sorry to keep harping on about this) shows that the Blu-ray PCM track has the same value as the current CDs and the "Mastered for iTunes" version: 7. If they had used the master tape that was used for the original CD then the DRM would have been at least 12 (and made it a whole lot easier to listen to). The only thing that I'm grateful for is all the effort (and money) that fredblue has put into his warnings/recommendations regarding the sound quality on these discs. A 5.1 mix and/or extra tracks would have been a nice bonus but we shouldn't need to be querying the basic sound quality of these efforts.:mad:

This was recorded at Sound City on analog tape, so a proper re-issue from the analog master should have been the way to go... :(

you're welcome Matt :) somebody had to dip their five point one toes into the water when they first came out, I just happened to be one of them (by no means alone nigh-on 6 months ago but one of the most vocal/visible and frank to say anything about them to try and give others some info in the absence of any from Universal themselves) .. I still feel most of them aren't worth your while sadly but the few that are good are really good, excellent even (if you only got the Stevie W, Lionel Richie and the Beck 5.1, you'd have 3 definitive masterings to me, I reckon they're all superb) the rest are such a mixed bag you'd have to either really love the artist/album or not own any other version already as most of the time they're no better than certain CD masterings (the Stones' Exile, Supertramp and Tommy are exceptions but I can't recommend the Who title as it strikes me the channels are screwed).

anyhoo.. in the absence of any (more) decent HFPA this side of Christmas, I'm thrilled we have the Clapton set with Blu-ray stuffed with Quad & 5.1 mixes.. Amazon just wrote to say its shipping, will rip it open and report back as soon as poss. I'm keeping everything crossed for this one - it better be very very good..!!!

This was recorded at Sound City on analog tape, so a proper re-issue from the analog master should have been the way to go... :(

lets face facts, these HFPA's are NOT for music lovers/anyone serious about their music, they were a business deal first, no love or care/effort put into them, the happy coincidence is that a few of them have turned out to be great, all by accident I'm sure rather than design.

while I'm very grateful for Paul Sinclair's excellent interview with ORM (and it pulled few punches, I take my hat off to him, especially for mentioning the XTC Nonsuch which totally puts any HFPA to shame for content and quality, he really is fighting our corner) I would have pushed ORM harder on certain lines of questioning that I can't be bothered to go into now I'm too tired to bother - and it'd all be wasted on that clueless useless arsehole behind these discs anyway, he clearly has his agenda and is only pandering to requests because he fears failure unless he delivers at least some of the stuff he has finally woken upto his target audience wanting (transparency & info of source used, more 5.1, etc.).

So it seems Universal have snuck a few more titles into their release schedule and this one is the first one to get me truly excited...

Yup, it looks like it may be the first of the Genesis 5.1 mixes on this platform! Out on January 20th, 2014.

0600753454404_medium.jpg

And it seems they are identifying masters in their listings too...

01 Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (2008 Digital Remaster) 8:02
02 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (2008 Digital Remaster) 4:10
03 Firth Of Fifth (2008 Digital Remaster) 9:35
04 More Fool Me (2008 Digital Remaster) 3:10
05 The Battle Of Epping Forest (2008 Digital Remaster) 11:44
06 After The Ordeal (2008 Digital Remaster) 4:15
07 The Cinema Show (2008 Digital Remaster) 10:41
08 Aisle Of Plenty (2008 Digital Remaster) 1:56
09 Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 8:02
10 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 4:10
11 Firth Of Fifth (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 9:35
12 More Fool Me (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 3:10
13 The Battle Of Epping Forest (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 11:44
14 After The Ordeal (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 4:15
15 The Cinema Show (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 10:41
16 Aisle Of Plenty (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 1:56

I think this is also the first time they identify multi-channel mixes too. If this is the case, Nick Drake's 'Five Leaves Left' certainly looks like a 2.0 only release as first feared.

Other titles that seem new on the list...

Tears For Fears - The Hurting
The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
Sam Cooke - Portrait Of A Legend
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way

All priced at £16.99, all 2.0 and all released 20/01/14.

Again, all I can say is I'm greatly disappointed by the lack of surround on these and the lack of real information regarding the sources. Bummer, again :(

So it seems Universal have snuck a few more titles into their release schedule and this one is the first one to get me truly excited...

Yup, it looks like it may be the first of the Genesis 5.1 mixes on this platform! Out on January 20th, 2014.

View attachment 12197

And it seems they are identifying masters in their listings too...

01 Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (2008 Digital Remaster) 8:02
02 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (2008 Digital Remaster) 4:10
03 Firth Of Fifth (2008 Digital Remaster) 9:35
04 More Fool Me (2008 Digital Remaster) 3:10
05 The Battle Of Epping Forest (2008 Digital Remaster) 11:44
06 After The Ordeal (2008 Digital Remaster) 4:15
07 The Cinema Show (2008 Digital Remaster) 10:41
08 Aisle Of Plenty (2008 Digital Remaster) 1:56
09 Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 8:02
10 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 4:10
11 Firth Of Fifth (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 9:35
12 More Fool Me (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 3:10
13 The Battle Of Epping Forest (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 11:44
14 After The Ordeal (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 4:15
15 The Cinema Show (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 10:41
16 Aisle Of Plenty (2008 Digital Remaster / SACD Multi Channel Mix) 1:56

I think this is also the first time they identify multi-channel mixes too. If this is the case, Nick Drake's 'Five Leaves Left' certainly looks like a 2.0 only release as first feared.

Other titles that seem new on the list...

Tears For Fears - The Hurting
The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
Sam Cooke - Portrait Of A Legend
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way

All priced at £16.99, all 2.0 and all released 20/01/14.

Now that :rolleyes: might be worth upgrading my DTS version for..... I didn't get the SACD box of the 1st discs....

Now that :rolleyes: might be worth upgrading my DTS version for..... I didn't get the SACD box of the 1st discs....

I took too long to pull the trigger on the original box sets, so have been picking these up individually as and when I can find them at sensible prices. If they release all of them on HFPA and in 5.1, I will definitely buy the lot. Shame they can't see past the ends of their own noses to put the extra video content on too. Still, we've flogged that particular blinkered horse to death and ORM can't understand that it's actually ok to put video content onto a Blu Ray album :rollseyes:

I mentioned several of these on here a week or two back.. I wish they'd release something NEW in surround!

Ah, sorry... must've missed that ;) Agreed though. Plenty of new content that could be well served here. But we have a selfish ego maniac in charge of this, remember? ;)

how ironic ORM's spanky new Blu-ray "format" would even mention SACD, seeing as SACD was such a disaster according to ORM in a couple of interviews now... you'd think he wouldn't want HFPA to be tainted by such a flop! ;)

how ironic ORM's spanky new Blu-ray "format" would even mention SACD, seeing as SACD was such a disaster according to ORM in a couple of interviews now... you'd think he wouldn't want HFPA to be tainted by such a flop! ;)

LOL! That made me chuckle ;)

I took too long to pull the trigger on the original box sets, so have been picking these up individually as and when I can find them at sensible prices. If they release all of them on HFPA and in 5.1, I will definitely buy the lot. Shame they can't see past the ends of their own noses to put the extra video content on too. Still, we've flogged that particular blinkered horse to death and ORM can't understand that it's actually ok to put video content onto a Blu Ray album :rollseyes:

Ah, sorry... must've missed that ;) Agreed though. Plenty of new content that could be well served here. But we have a selfish ego maniac in charge of this, remember? ;)

Don't you see ORM has "learnt the lessons" from the SACD/DVD-A days, when confused buyers blathered on about the lack of video on DVD-A etc.,? ;)

to avoid all that confusion he absolutely will not put any video on any of these Blu-ray's at all and to be doubly sure plaster stickers over all of them saying "NO VIDEO CONTENT".

he should get some stickers done = "No NEW Content".

....To avoid all that confusion he absolutely will not put any video on any of these Blu-ray's at all and to be doubly sure plaster stickers over all of them saying "NO VIDEO CONTENT".

he should get some stickers done = "No NEW Content".

Don't over exaggerate.... There is "new" content - we got (yet) another mix of Tommy :D...

i think if UMG will reissue Genesis catalogue it's could be a right move. given that SACD print cannot be used
in full potential without dedicated SACD player but still was sold out pretty quickly, shows that Genesis remains
popular. i personally almost missed last box, waiting on-sale.
now i'm curious, the streams they going to use for BD-As are PCM, before encoding into DSD or DSD decoded back to PCM?

I think what's also disappointing is that they're using DSD masters for PCM releases, so between the ultrasonic noise and the transcoding artifacts I'm not sure you're left with anything 'pure'.

I think what's also disappointing is that they're using DSD masters for PCM releases, so between the ultrasonic noise and the transcoding artifacts I'm not sure you're left with anything 'pure'.

I'll buy it, as Genesis' "Selling England By The Pound" is one of my favourite albums, and it might have a better 5.1 audio quality. I have never been happy with the audio quality on the SACDs, but I read somewhere that some of the 'poor' sound was due to the mixing desk limiters/compressors on the multi-track re-mix. A lot of recordings are done in PCM and converted to DSD for SACD, so perhaps we might be lucky and get a better version this time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back