What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completing my Billy Joel SACD collection (until MoFi decides to release his "Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 & 2")

16257188305_6efa899d6f.jpg

From HMV Japan (they have a sale price on it)....

Attachments

• LeonR.jpg
    LeonR.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 163
The Plastic People of the Universe: Egon Bondy's Happy Hearts Club Banned. Hybrid SACD.

Spill The Wine on this one sounds 1000x better than Spill The Wine on that AF Legends SACD and doesn't have that boomy bass.

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of Beach Boys SHM SACDs at my post office box today. Today! and the one with Fun, Fun, Fun (only contains the stereo tracks -- what a ripoff!!!! -- they could have included the mono tracks).

update: I've now played them both. I discovered there really is a reason for the explanation point in TODAY!
This disk sounds so good I got a bit scared. The stand-out tracks are Help Me Rhonda (you like bass?), and I'm So Young (never really paid much attention to this song before, but I sure noticed it on this disk). The songs don't fade out as quickly either.

Attachments

• BeachBoysSHMSACDs.jpg
    BeachBoysSHMSACDs.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
"I've now played them both. I discovered there really is a reason for the explanation point in TODAY!" The BB's "Today!" is the epitome of 60's Wall of Sound production, and the greatest of the early Beach Boys albums...IMHO.
It's probably one of theirs that could stand up to an actual 5.1 treatment. John

The SHM SACDs are the first playable Beach Boys disks to come out since PastMasters of which I have 20/20 and Wild Honey. All other Beach Boys disks have some odd high-pitched sound to them and you certainly can't crank 'em up.

I still need to get Smiley Smile on SHM SACD.

update: The MFSL SACD of Pet Sounds is fine too, and the DCC Pet Sounds (but not Endless Summer).

Steppenwolf (I) and Magazine - Heart, both 2ch hybrid SACD's.

I've owned Steppenwolf on original 1st pressing LP w/silver-foil cover (no "Born to be Wild" quasi-sticker), MCA CD, and MoFi Gold CD. I bought it before it got any radio play based on a review in Guitar Player magazine. AN ESSENTIAL ALBUM for any rock or metal fan. Although the band isn't as heavy as some things that followed, it is clearly among metal's early roots. This SACD release kept getting pushed back, and finally saw the light of day.

The SACD packaging leaves a whole lot to be desired. The front and back covers are good facsimilies of the original LP cover. The front is white/grey, like the second LP pressings, not silver foil. The MoFi Gold CD has a booklet replete with lyrics, an article by John Kay, and some nice pix. The SACD has track listings and production credits, no more. The SACD also misspelled Dennis Edmonton's (born Dennis Eugene McCrohan) stage name as Mars Bondfire, instead of the correct Bonfire.

The SACD sounds excellent, and vastly different from the MoFi Gold CD. The MoFi is way louder and perhaps more compressed. The SACD has a sound that's cleaner, more open, with better harmonics. Although this album is 47 years old, this is the best it's ever sounded.

I've owned Magazine on 1st pressing LP (original mix OOP), remixed (1978) LP, and CD. The album has quite a history. Heart signed to CBS/Portrait and released Little Queen (IMHO, their best album.) Mushroom, their former record company decided to release Magazine, a collection of (unfinished?) tracks. Heart sued and sort of won. They couldn't get the album killed, but they were allowed the opportunity to go back, re-record some tracks and remix the album. Either way, the album has some stellar moments: Heartless and one my favorites, Just the Wine. The re-done album's song order is changed from the original. Often a new lead vocal replaced the original. The original mix has never been out on an official CD. This SACD is the best sounding version of this great, oft overlooked album. Another stellar job by Steve Hoffman. If you're a fan, seek out the original Mushroom LP, as well.

Thanks for the "tips" QL.... I saw Steppenwolf circa 1990 or so and John Kay still looked like he could bench press me through the roof. Odd concert that, them, Procul Harum and Jefferson Starship, with Grace's replacement but Jack Cassidy on bass, and Marty. John

I saw Steppenwolf in '99. It was a concert after the horse races were over in the midway at Hawthorn Racetrack in Cicero, IL. John Kay looked buff. Alice Cooper and Bachman-Turner (only C.F. Turner) Overdrive also played, and were great. Sadly, Al (Snorky) Capone was not in attendance, although he once owned the place.

The Japanese SHM-SACD of Tangerine Dream's Stratosfear arrived this afternoon from CD-Japan (Led Zep Physical Graffiti posted in the UK the same day hasn't got here yet!).

Its a vinyl album replica cover, so won't fit in a standard CD rack slot. Stereo only SACD.

I had a listen and its really well done, well worth the money. I also had a quick listen in pseudo-surround and it sounded good as well.

The Japanese SHM-SACD of Tangerine Dream's Stratosfear arrived this afternoon from CD-Japan (Led Zep Physical Graffiti posted in the UK the same day hasn't got here yet!).

Its a vinyl album replica cover, so won't fit in a standard CD rack slot. Stereo only SACD.

I had a listen and its really well done, well worth the money. I also had a quick listen in pseudo-surround and it sounded good as well.

My last order from CD-Japan beat amazon uk by a week...that's sad...glad to hear that disc sounds good...not sure which one of the TD discs I want...

My last order from CD-Japan beat amazon uk by a week...that's sad...glad to hear that disc sounds good...not sure which one of the TD discs I want...

The four Tangerine Dream albums Phaedra, Rubicon, Ricochet, and Stratosfear are albums I remember when and where I was when I bought them, and so are in my sights, one down......

.........and the Led Zep only had to travel a few hundred miles from Newcastle down to me!

I received Tangerine Dream's Phaedra stereo SHM-SACD on Friday and I was listening to it all past weekend. It is really exciting to hear this milestone album in such great resolution. There are some revelatory moments in there right from the start. I am so happy.
I have a gorgeous sounding early CD press of Stratosfear so I thought I should save the cost of a Japanese sacd but alas I could not resist any longer... Last night I ordered Stratosfear as well. CD Japan has already shipped it. If I am lucky it will last only 4 days again to reach me.

Back