Greeting from Prague // Pozdravy z Prahy!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenshawAC

Ahoj/Hello...

I joined today as I have a keen interest in home cinema/audio, striving for the best quality in picture and sound. I recently put my CD collection as FLAC onto NVShield Plex Media Server and through my Denon AVC-X4700H it's sounds great.

I have 2 DVD-A discs: David Live (1974) and Stage (1978), released in 2005 and listened to a few times when I had a DVD/SACD player, that's long gone, so my next project was to put these on Plex too, but I soon found out it's not possible as Plex will play MKV video, but not MKA, and certainly not .MLP/TrueHD.
It would have been nice for all my collection to play on Plex, but the HiRes audio has to be played using VLC app on the NVShield.

I did lots of tests to see which will work best. I used MakeMKV to extract the MKV containing DTS Stream, I used MKVToolNix to strip the Video/Subs etc to leave the MKA, this plays fine on Z906 Speakers and the Decode LED indicates a DTS signal.

I also tried DVD Audio Extractor to give MLP file which plays via VLC and DolbyTHD is indicated on the Denon, these sound superb in THD 5.1 Surround.

Usually I would add cover art etc using MP3Tag, but the MLP files will not work there, so I am wondering how if it's possible to add cover art etc to MLP files? I did Google it but got inundated with nonsense about 'My Little Pony'!

Is it possible to somehow add cover art, so when playing it shows on the screen in VLC?

I also have a few Bowie SACDs which were made to DTS-CD years ago, I played those on the PC/Z906 speakers and they sound dreadful, but I am wondering how I can get those on VLC/Plex as MultiChannel FLAC, I tried a few things but they seem to be Stereo and sound even worse.

Once I get the hang of this, I will buy more MultiChannel discs from Bowie or other artists, I have read the reviews here and already have some good recommendations in mind that I like.

Andrew.

Back