Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TED NUGENT - TED NUGENT (SACD STEREO)

Now, I'm really surprised....I truly had low to mid expectations for this release. I'm pretty well shocked how good this sounds. Now, this is hard rock...so it's a bit more difficult to discern this compared to say....Chicago....but I can promise you this. This title has NEVER sounded this good....it is simply excellent. Very crisp....good bottom end. Similar to my other 2 discs....at times this is a wall of sound with a very wide soundstage...it defies my understanding honestly. Call me impressed...this is damn near perfection....the drums are rock solid and lifelike.

51aVrTsRC%2BL.jpg

Ordered...thanks for the heads up...The Nuge rocked it back in the day (y)

Grace - Jeff Buckley 2ch hybrid SACD We picked this up at Music Direct yesterday afternoon. We listened twice. First, the CD layer playing in the car with the top downwhile driving down Clark St. Wrigleyville was a zoo, with lots of 20-something St. Patrick's resellers spilling into the street. Amazing that I didn't hit one! The cops had their hands full. Car fi plays DVD-A, DTS CD, DVD-V & CD, but not the SACD layer.

When we got home, we played the SACD layer, along with Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder on Blu-Ray-A, which we also picked up at Music Direct/MoFi. Both discs sounded SPECTACULAR. Lots of high harmonics that were never evident on any previous copy. I also own Grace on the original CD and expanded Legacy Editions. Although I need to a/b them, this is the best it has ever sounded.

"Oh, that was So Real." - JB (RIP)

John Coltrane-Love Supreme SACD...some talk on another thread about Miles Davis prompted me to put on "THE TRANE"...he died at the young age of 40...but made some huge contributions to jazz in his short life...this title can be had for a very reasonable amount...I picked up this one...and it sounds pretty good...the blu ray audio version seems to be the better version according to comments I have seen..this album was done in 1964..3 years before his death in 1967

A great album. The title track is lovingly covered on another 2 ch SACD in my collection: Love, Devotion & Surrender - Santana & McLaughlin.

John Coltrane-Love Supreme SACD...some talk on another thread about Miles Davis prompted me to put on "THE TRANE"...he died at the young age of 40...but made some huge contributions to jazz in his short life...this title can be had for a very reasonable amount...I picked up this one...and it sounds pretty good...the blu ray audio version seems to be the better version according to comments I have seen..this album was done in 1964..3 years before his death in 1967

Unknown.jpeg

Copland Conducts Copland w/LSO (Appalachian Spring (ballet suite)/Rodeo (4 dances)/Billy the Kid (ballet suite). On 3/6, I posted this SACD on #274 in this same thread. It was a very early Sony SACD! Although I haven't played it since then, to me much of this disc sounds crappy. Mainly, the high frequencies are very astringent. I have some 2ch LP's of the exact same recordings of some of these pieces, and other later recordings conducted by Copland, including the SQ LP of Copland Conducts Appalachian Spring (1st recording of the complete, original version :yikes.) I also have lots of others' conducting this stuff. To me, this SACD sounds like crap, although the pieces and performances are wonderful. Perhaps that's why I got this one used at a discount.

View attachment 17669

Copland Conducts Copland w/LSO (Appalachian Spring (ballet suite)/Rodeo (4 dances)/Billy the Kid (ballet suite). On 3/6, I posted this SACD on #274 in this same thread. It was a very early Sony SACD! Although I haven't played it since then, to me much of this disc sounds crappy. Mainly, the high frequencies are very astringent. I have some 2ch LP's of the exact same recordings of some of these pieces, and other later recordings conducted by Copland, including the SQ LP of Copland Conducts Appalachian Spring (1st recording of the complete, original version :yikes.) I also have lots of others' conducting this stuff. To me, this SACD sounds like crap, although the pieces and performances are wonderful. Perhaps that's why I got this one used at a discount.

I don't remember that SACD. But the reviewers on www.sa-cd.net have a different take on it. Time for you to submit a review with a dissenting opinion?
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/203

sim.jpeg

Stan Getz/Cal Tjader Sextet 2ch hybrid SACD. The sticker leads one to believe this is mono, IT IS, IN FACT STEREO! The recording and performance are both SPECTACULAR, and a very wide stereo mix, besides! Tjader's vibes and Getz's sax blend extremely well, as does the great Vince Guaraldi on piano. The recording is from '58 and has a slight bit of tape hiss. Besides that, the fidelity is easily as good as many later jazz recordings.

I did see Getz live before he died. It was at the North Shore (Chicago) Jazz Festival in the parking lot of Edens Plaza, a Wilmette (Ouilmette), IL shopping center. My then spouse was appalled that Getz walked to the back of the stage and copped a cigarette while George Mraz had his bass solo. Still, a wonderful concert. Getz's sax oozed passion.

BTW: Don't bypass late '50's/early 60's jazz on SACD in mono (or stereo) on Prestige, Milestone, Fantasy, Blue Note, Verve or Columbia. All of them I own on SACD (or even CD and LP) have sparkling fidelity. The AP jazz SACD releases are great recordings and performances. High fidelity, indeed!

"Steve McQueen looked good in that picture. He must have made it before he died." - Larry "Yogi" Berra.

Although my collection is listed on sa-cd.net http://wwwq.sa-cd.net/library/7517/1, I have never commented on a disc there. Hell, I'd need to comment on over 600 discs in my collection! Still, the answer may lie in my gender. Women generally have more acute hearing in the highs. When I was 19, I was tested, and my hearing was nearly flat up to 19khz. No doubt that has diminished in the ensuing 42 years.

Yes, I KNOW this isn't a CD thread, so perhaps these comments don't belong here. But I found the same kind of mess on early Japan Sony CD's: 52nd St. - Billy Joel (35 DP 1), and You've Got the Power - Third World (35 DP 36) sound horrible, again in the high frequencies. Yet, other copies of those albums, on regular and 1/2 speed LP's, CD's, and especially the SACD of 52nd St. have none of those anomalies and sound wonderful.

I don't remember that SACD. But the reviewers on www.sa-cd.net have a different take on it. Time for you to submit a review with a dissenting opinion?
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/203

Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits (SACD Stereo)

Pretty good....she has more hits than I guess I knew about. I sure didn't know she sang Back In Baby's Arms...LMAO! All I can think about is the scene from Planes Trains and Automobiles...hahahahaha

[video=youtube;u2pu0m9iTo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4[/video]

Back