Lost in the Sixties!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Various Artists / Complete Pop Instrumental Hits Of The Sixties, Vol.1 - From 1955-1965 Back in the day we had radio and 45's. My turntable had a tone arm that was quite heavy and the stylus was a glorified nail. Pretty much all the early rock was in mono. It wasn't till the late sixties before a stereo setup was a little more accessible as well as stereo records. However there were not a lot of 55-65 stereo oldies available yet. In the 80's and 90's more and more oldies became available and I was blown away as to how great the stereo versions sounded. I could never have imagined that I could possibly have any kind of an immersive experience with these beloved oldies. Now since I've been listening to this music through the SM3 I've been astonished by how amazing they sound!!! I've been having such a blast experiencing this music through the SM3 that oldies is mostly what I've been listening to. Here's a few from another great Eric Records release. For your listening pleasure:

"(The Theme From) A Summer Place" / Percy Faith
"The Madison Time (Part 1)" / Ray Bryant
"Look For A Star" / Billy Vaughn
"(Theme From) Adventures In Paradise" / Jerry Byrd
"Gonzo" / James Booker (mono) One of my favorites, played the 45 so much it started turning white.
"Perfidia" The Ventures
Various:Instrumental 1960 V1.jpg

Various:Instrumental 1960 V1 - bk.jpg

Attachments

• Various:Instrumental 1960 V1.jpg
    Various:Instrumental 1960 V1.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Various:Complete Pop Instrumentals V3 1962 - bk.jpg
    Various:Complete Pop Instrumentals V3 1962 - bk.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess in hindsight being a psych-rock band in 1968 named Apple may not have been strategically the smartest move. But, that's what the Apple did and it certainly didn't do them any favors. Signed to the Page One label in the UK (home of the Troggs first #1 hit), Apple released four singles in 1968 and their sole album, An Apple a day... was issued in 1969. Showcasing some good psych-pop songwriting and more than competent musicianship, Apple has been relegated to the dustbin of history like so many of its largely unknown contemporaries. However, "Buffalo Billycan" and "Photograph" are both great psych songs and demonstrate why they got a label deal.

Apple (front).jpg

Apple (back).jpg

One thing interesting about the number of obscure bands listed on this thread.... There may be just as many obscure bands today as there were in 1960, but damn, it sure seems like record companies were a lot more willing to take a chance and give more of them contracts.
One big difference early on is that every label was hoping to get lightning to strike twice and they could sign their own "Beatles." That, of course, never happened, but it wasn't until mid to late decade that some labels abandoned the quest.

Next Time You See Me - Michael Bloomfield

Mercy Maybe Mercy - Don Ellis
from 2nd version of LP only
Koch CD has all tracks from both versions

https://www.discogs.com/master/201851-Don-Ellis-Shock-Treatment

Red Cross Store- Mississippi Fred McDowell

Goodbye - Mary Hopkin
from Ed Sullivan Show
Written & Produced by Macca

In 1967, and again in 1969, Frank Sinatra teamed up with Antonio Carlos Jobim for two remarkable studio sessions that (IMO) resulted in some of Sinatra's very best vocal performances. 1967's, Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim, showcases a remarkably understated Sinatra. It's a major departure for him and he turns in a career-crowning performance. After the success of this LP, the pair reunited in 1969 to record a follow-up album. Sonny Burke is back to produce, but this time around, Eumir Deodato is added to the mix and his arrangements are somewhat looser, but I think far more engaging. For some reason, Reprise chose to shelve the resulting session recordings, but seven of the tracks did eventually see the light of day in 1971 as the first side of Frank's, Sinatra & Company LP. Side one is fantastic and well worth the price of admission. Side two, not so much. Still, there is no denying the special musical magic that these sessions generated.

Sinatra (front).jpg

Sinatra (back).jpg

Last edited:
Various Artists / Complete Pop Instrumental Hits Of The Sixties, Vol.3 1962 - Another terrific set from Eric Records and the Stereo stuff sounds amazing through the SM3!!! All tracks here are in stereo. For your listening pleasure:

"Surfer's Stomp" / The Mar-ketts
"Strangers On The Shore" / Mr. Acker Bilk
"Balboa Blue" / The Marketts
"Route 66 Theme" / Nelson Riddle
"A Swingin' Safari" / Billy Vaughn
"Green Onions" / Booker T. & The MG's
"Night Train" / James Brown
"Nut Rocker" / B. Bumble & The Stingers

Various:Complete Pop Instrumentals V3 1962.jpg

Various:Complete Pop Instrumentals V3 1962 - bk.jpg

Attachments

• Various:Complete Pop Instrumentals V3 1962.jpg
    Various:Complete Pop Instrumentals V3 1962.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 0
That's not "A Swingi
Various Artists / Complete Pop Instrumental Hits Of The Sixties, Vol.3 1962 - Another terrific set from Eric Records and the Stereo stuff sounds amazing through the SM3!!! All tracks here are in stereo. For your listening pleasure:

"Surfer's Stomp" / The Mar-ketts
View attachment 102712
"Strangers On The Shore" / Mr. Acker Bilk
View attachment 102713
"Balboa Blue" / The Marketts
View attachment 102714
"Route 66 Theme" / Nelson Riddle
View attachment 102715
"A Swingin' Safari" / Billy Vaughn
View attachment 102716
"Green Onions" / Booker T. & The MG's
View attachment 102717
"Night Train" / James Brown
View attachment 102718
"Nut Rocker" / B. Bumble & The Stingers
View attachment 102719
View attachment 102720
View attachment 102722
That's not "A Swingin' Safari" That's "A Taste of Honey"

Various Artists / Hits With Strings And Things - Released by Ace Records with great remastering, right up there with Eric Records. Surprise, it sounds amazing through the SM3!!! For your listening pleasure:

"Washington Square" / The Village Stompers
"Alley Cat" / Bent Fabric
"Cast Your Fate To The Wind" / Sounds Orchestral
"Canadian Sunset" Hugo Winterhalter
"Music To Watch Girls Go By" / The Bob Crewe Generation

Varioius:Hits With Strings.jpg

The original version of "A Swingin' Safari" (I posted it above) was by Bert Kaempfert and his orchestra in 1962. He also composed the song. Billy Vaughn's version was released in the same year and is also good, very close to kaempfert's.

Kaempfert's version was used as the theme music for the original "Match Game" in 1962.

I remember watching that version of the show very well and loved that song, even though I didn't realize its origins, at the time.

"The Theme From a Summer Place" has always been a favorite of mine from the time I was 6 years old. So beautiful and was one of my dad's favorites, too. The first time I heard it was in 1959, when it was released, and I was watching him make new, matching cabinets for an old Emerson radio/record player console we had and a Coronado B&W TV. It came on the radio from the Emerson and he turned it up and that was it. He passed 21 years ago and I still miss him.

Doug

Last edited:
The original version of "A Swingin' Safari" (I posted it above) was by Bert Kaempfert and his orchestra in 1962. He also composed the song. Billy Vaughn's version was released in the same year and is also good, very close to kaempfert's.

Kaempfert's version was used as the theme music for the original "Match Game" in 1962.

I remember watching that version of the show very well and loved that song, even though I didn't realize its origins, at the time.
I did not know that, thanx for the info, very interesting. Yes, the "Match Game".:giggle:
"The Theme From a Summer Place" has always been a favorite of mine from the time I was 6 years old. So beautiful and was one of my dad's favorites, too. He passed 21 years ago and I still miss him.
I love this tune too!!! Stereo version is incredible! I listened to it through my Surround Master and it sounded utterly AMAZING!!! Like it was a surround recording a 10!!!

"The Theme From a Summer Place" has always been a favorite of mine from the time I was 6 years old. So beautiful and was one of my dad's favorites, too. The first time I heard it was in 1959, when it was released, and I was watching him make new, matching cabinets for an old Emerson radio/record player console we had and a Coronado B&W TV. It came on the radio from the Emerson and he turned it up and that was it. He passed 21 years ago and I still miss him.
I know how you feel, I have songs that my father loved that every time I play them I think of him. "Theme From Summer Place", "Stranger On The Shore" & "Alley Cat" are just a few. Music helps keep those good memories alive. Yea, for music!!!

Various Artists / Hard To Find Jukebox Classics, Stereo Explosion, Volume 10, 1960-1965 - Another great release by Eric Records which as usual sounds amazing through the SM3!!! Hearing things I've never heard coming from all areas of my living room giving an immersive experience. What a blast!!! For your listening pleasure:

"New York's A Lonely Town" / The Trade Winds
"Sealed With A Kiss" / Brian Hyland
"Midnight Mary" / Joey Powers
"Angel On My Shoulder" / Shelby Flint
"It Might As Well Rain Until September" / Carole King
"I Love You" / The Volumes
"What Kind Of Fool (Do You Think I Am)" / The Tams
"Fingertips - Part 2" / Little Stevie Wonder

Various: Hard To Find V10.jpg

Various Artists / Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1964 - another great release from Eric Records which I wouldn't be posting if it didn't sound amazing in stereo or through the SM3!!! For your listening pleasure a few of the great tunes:

"Suspicion" / Terry Stafford - I like this better than the Elvis version
"Harlem Shuffle" / Bob & Earl
"Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um"
"Mountain Of Love" / Johnny Rivers
"High On Hill" / Scott English (mono) - not a big hit but I love this tune!

Varioius:Hard To Find 1964.jpg

Since we've been discussing the merits (pros and cons) of the numerous Sixties "various artists" compilations, I want to highlight my go-to series and the one I can wholeheartedly recommend...Dick Bartley Presents Collector's Essentials. I believe I have the whole enchilada (12 discs) as pictured below. The series began on RHINO with two volumes of "One Hit Wonders," before moving over to Varése Sarabande for two volumes of "Collector's Essentials,"six volumes of the "On The Radio," and one volume of "The All-Time Greatest Girl Groups," before finally landing at ERIC Records for a "Classic Oldies 1965-1969" disc. The ERIC disc includes several 'first time' stereo tracks and IMO, they are largely successful, especially the Troggs and Procol Harum. Check it out.

Bartley 1.jpg

Bartley 2jpg.jpg

Bought the "One Hit Wonders v1 & 2." Recommended

Check out Rhino's British Invasion. I bought original 4 volumes as a box. Fab!

Volumes 5-10 get into much mid-late 60's. far out!

https://www.discogs.com/release/13516996-Various-The-British-Invasion-The-History-of-British-Rock

Susan/What is Love - Buckinghams
from Ed Sullivan Show
A #11 hit and a KILLER deep track

Tired of Waiting - Flock feat Jerry Goodman
good cover of Kinks classic

Ringo - Lorne Greene

Itchycoo Park - Small Faces

Back