What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Singles 1969-1973 : The Carpenters (SQ LP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

22776153936_0a3a90940e_z.jpg

Found this in a dollar bin on Sunday. Took a chance on it since I like Larry Coryell and had never seen an SQ quad LP on the Vanguard label. Turns out to be a fantastic jazz fusion album with an excellent four-channel mix.

Interesting.. did the Eleventh House Quad see QS release in Japan?

Yes, and discs available only on U.S. REEL-REEL QUAD from Vanguard, were made into QS lp's in Japan.

I don't have my Japanese QS listing with me today, but I believe Baez's David's Album, Country Joe, Greatest Hits (Q8 U.S) one by Eleventh House (Larry Coryell), Buffy Saint Marie and J.J.Perry.

der phizz

I would like to see that listing. The only quad J.J. Perrey I know of is on sampler SQ discs in the US. I have the quad reel of Monsieur Perrey but would like more. Also, I don't have a Dolby unit for proper playback. I do have Buffy's Illuminations on QS from Japan.

Vanguard LP's from Japan are QS. Vanguard titles excepting a few classical titles are less than common.

Vanguard had an arrangement with King Records in Japan to press and distribute their recordings there. So, yes they were QS. As for the Eleventh House album, I don't recall seeing it in quad here, let alone over there. There might be some data base that could say for sure.

Vanguard LP's from Japan are QS. Vanguard titles excepting a few classical titles are less than common.

The only J.J. Perrey quad release in the US was on a reel only. "The Amazing Electronic Pop Sound of J.J. Perrey" was a nice demo of what quad could do, but by today's standards it sounds very dated. Still fun, though.

Eleventh House was quite common in the day around Chicago & Milwaukee on SQ LP & Q8. The SQ LP's were more common than the Q8's. Great music!

Vanguard had an arrangement with King Records in Japan to press and distribute their recordings there. So, yes they were QS. As for the Eleventh House album, I don't recall seeing it in quad here, let alone over there. There might be some data base that could say for sure.

Introducing The Eleventh House is one of my favourite jazz fusion albums - if you like stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra you need to hear it, and the followup 'Level One' which unfortunately wasn't mixed for quad.

'Introducing' was released on Q8 as well as SQ LP in the US - I know the Q8 definitely exists because I've owned (and heard) it. Mark Anderson's quad discography lists a quad reel of this title but I've never seen one in the wild, and even king of quad collectors Nick Perugini has this on his quad want list. So it's possible that it was never released, but I hold out hope because another Larry Coryell title 'At The Village Gate' was released on quad reel and I've only seen one copy in all the time I've been collecting quad...so maybe there's one copy of the QR of 'Introducing The Eleventh House' out there just waiting to be found.

Having said that, the mix on 'Introducing' is slightly wonky, in the same way that the ZZ Top 'Tres Hombres' is - the drums are in all 4 channels, but there was a mixing error and the drums in the rear speakers are swapped so they're diagonally panned. Unfortunately if you try and swap the rear channels so the drums are fixed, it makes all the instruments diagonally panned, so there's no way to fix it. Still, having said that, I'd kill to hear the QR of this album.

I was eagerly awaiting the follow up, Level One. It wasn't in Quad on Vanguard. Instead, it was on Arista, which only released a handful of quads. Of course, this wasn't one of them. Neither was Aspects, the next one on Arista. Both great albums, though.

Although Santana and Loggins & Messina are my favorite 70's acts, Eleventh House most typifies the genre I was most often grooving on back then.

Introducing The Eleventh House is one of my favourite jazz fusion albums - if you like stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra you need to hear it, and the followup 'Level One' which unfortunately wasn't mixed for quad....

I was eagerly awaiting the follow up, Level One. It wasn't in Quad on Vanguard. Instead, it was on Arista, which only released a handful of quads. Of course, this wasn't one of them. Neither was Aspects, the next one on Arista. Both great albums, though.

Although Santana and Loggins & Messina are my favorite 70's acts, Eleventh House most typifies the genre I was most often grooving on back then.

The Arista quads were, for the most part, very poor pressings. Very noisy vinyl. I can't imagine why they couldn't have put more effort into the quads. That's probably why they only had 11 of them.

The Arista quads were, for the most part, very poor pressings. Very noisy vinyl. I can't imagine why they couldn't have put more effort into the quads. That's probably why they only had 11 of them.

My Eric Carmen was nice, as nice as the two Clapton CD-4s. I got the E Carmen quad in the cutout bins for $2.99. I should have picked up more for that price. But ya know something, $2.99 back in 1978 - 79 or 80 was still a lot of money for a kid working as a busboy at the country club.

But I did see Muscle of Love quad stickered boxes in the cutout bins, just a few copies for $2.99.

Hi.
Yes I think you are correct on that Vanguard settled on SQ but dabbled in CD-4 and QS but definitely SQ. I think Vanguard was one of the fisrt companies to bring Quad reel to reel to market.
Bill..

Vanguard did one sampler in Dynaquad to show off that passive matrix system. It could give decent results on a QS system, but the main push for Dynaquad was creating quad from stereo. I have a copy of it. Vanguard never did CD-4, and only used QS in Japan. They backed SQ from the get-go.

Back