Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bro, it's Friday. Take a chill pill or maybe a beer or three and everything will be OK. We're getting Tales. Our Aqualung-less brethren will get theirs. Quadrophenia is what it is. BTW, I paid more than you for AQL if that makes you feel any better. If not, Ill let you borrow the Hackett box as long as you promise to return it wrapped in a Tales T-shirt! OMG, where am I? This isn't a poll is it? :yikes

PK my Lad! :sun

Sorry you got soaked on Aqualung Deluxe.... Wasn't it around $200 with delivery originally? Wow.

Regarding Tales: I am disinclined to acquiesce to your advice, however sage. I remain steadfast in my quest of acquisition of said recording in 5.1. Captain Ahab had nothing on me when it compares to my obsession with Tales From Topographic Oceans. :smokin

ahab.jpg

And no, this is not a poll thread. Your witty banter and charmed presence is most welcome here. :banana:

Last edited:
Oooh, looks gooooood! And it must be a typo having Life Is a Long Song and Up the 'Pool being listed twice.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Oooh, looks gooooood! And it must be a typo having Life Is a Long Song and Up the 'Pool being listed twice.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Actually, that doesn't appear to be a typo at all.
From what I can glean from the picture, it looks like they are also including the original stereo mixes for "Life is a Long Song" and "Up the 'Pool" on this new edition alongside Steven Wilson's remixes for both tracks.

Wow, that set looks really good... even though I already have the big super-deluxe set with the BD-A, I'll have to get this too (can't have a library of JT on the shelf without the matching Aqualung set!)

So the $64,000 question (or more accurately the $30 question) is is there anything on this new CD/DVD set that wasn't on the original BluRay/kitchen sink set, aside from the removal of Peter Mew's mastering job?

So the $64,000 question (or more accurately the $30 question) is is there anything on this new CD/DVD set that wasn't on the original BluRay/kitchen sink set, aside from the removal of Peter Mew's mastering job?

VD2
Lick Your Fingers Clean
Just Trying To Be
My God (early version)
Wond’ring Aloud (13th December 1970)
Wind-Up (early version)
Slipstream (Take 2)
Up The ‘Pool (early version)
Wond’ring Aloud, Again
Life Is A Long Song
Up The ‘Pool
Life Is A Long Song
Up The ‘Pool
Dr Bogenbroom
From Later
Nursie
Reprise Radio Advert

Are all the above on original set?

Ok, so after looking at the Burning Shed page, here is what is different about this new release from the one released in 2011:

-No Peter Mew mastering on any of the discs!
-Flat transfer of the original stereo mix of the entire "Life is a Long Song" EP (two of the EP's tracks haven't been available in this form previously)
-on DVD 1, SEVEN additional tracks remixed in 5.1 surround. (On the original DVD & Blu-Ray, only 4 additional tracks had surround mixes, so there's actually more surround in this set!)
-on DVD 2, there's also the addition of the "Life is a Long Song" promo film with the remixed stereo audio.

So now the big question is, what additional tracks are in surround on this set that were not in surround on the 2011 release?
The 2011 release had these 4 additional surround mixes:
-"Lick Your Fingers Clean"
-"My God (Early Version)"
-"Life is a Long Song"
-"Up the 'Pool"

I'm going to guess that the exclusive additional surround mixes for this release are as follows:
-"Wond'ring Aloud (13th December 1970 version)"
-"Wind-Up (Early Version)"
-"Wond'ring Aloud, Again"

We'll see if I'm right or not! :)

EDIT: JohnN now says that "Just Trying to Be", "Wind-Up (Early Version), and "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" are the new additional 5.1 mixes, so as far as my guessing goes, two out of three ain't bad! ;)

Last edited:
No Peter Mew mastering on any of the discs!

This alone may be enough reason for me to double dip. The recent SW-mastered HDTracks download has a more appealing sound to my tastes than does the blu-ray - particularly in the high end.

This alone may be enough reason for me to double dip. The recent SW-mastered HDTracks download has a more appealing sound to my tastes than does the blu-ray - particularly in the high end.

I finally bought the expensive Aqualung Box, but there is no way I could pass up the chance to align the new Aqualung with my prior Tull "book style" releases all together on my bookshelf(y) Removing the needless mastering is key and the extra 5.1 tracks are nice as well. Why can't I buy it now? That is my only question. :music

Ok, so after looking at the Burning Shed page, here is what is different about this new release from the one released in 2011:

-No Peter Mew mastering on any of the discs!
-Flat transfer of the original stereo mix of the entire "Life is a Long Song" EP (two of the EP's tracks haven't been available in this form previously)
-on DVD 1, SEVEN additional tracks remixed in 5.1 surround. (On the original DVD & Blu-Ray, only 4 additional tracks had surround mixes, so there's actually more surround in this set!)
-on DVD 2, there's also the addition of the "Life is a Long Song" promo film with the remixed stereo audio.

So now the big question is, what additional tracks are in surround on this set that were not in surround on the 2011 release?
The 2011 release had these 4 additional surround mixes:
-"Lick Your Fingers Clean"
-"My God (Early Version)"
-"Life is a Long Song"
-"Up the 'Pool"

I'm going to guess that the exclusive additional surround mixes for this release are as follows:
-"Wond'ring Aloud (13th December 1970 version)"
-"Wind-Up (Early Version)"
-"Wond'ring Aloud, Again"

We'll see if I'm right or not! :)

Bonus tracks- if it wasn't remixed to 5.1 on the old set, it is now. :D All previous glitches are gone.

Just Trying To Be
Wind Up (early version)
Wond’ring Aloud, Again (full Morgan version)

Bugger!

I'm going to end up buying this set, just for the bonus tracks.

Excuse me while I go upstairs and fondle my bluray, my dvd, and my vinyl copy.

Back