Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the big box from 2011. If I get the new set, which I will, is it worth keeping both, given that I am really not bothered about the vinyl?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though I already have the 2011 box set, I will get this new edition for the flat transfers of SW's remixes, the 3 additional bonus surround mixes, and the "Life is a Long Song" video, but I will keep the original box as well because of the lossless Blu-Ray audio disc. The only way both editions become useless and irrelevant is if they actually manage to come out with a Blu-Ray audio edition with the remix flat transfers and additional surround mixes, but given their opposition to Blu-Ray audio since the original "Aqualung" reissue, I don't see it happening anytime soon...

I have the big box from 2011. If I get the new set, which I will, is it worth keeping both, given that I am really not bothered about the vinyl?

Hi regnidec, can I just cal you Reg?

I bought the expensive box set as well:

1. Depends on what financial budget your wife has you operating under.

2. Yes, it is worth keeping. All of us surround supporters can not avoid redundancy, there is no way around that. Plus the original box set has the music in lossless. The new set will be lossy DTS. The deluxe box does have an amazing large booklet and I plan to keep my Aqualung LP record in case one day I want to do an "Al Pacino" a la And Justice For All, when he goes crazy and tosses the diner plates all over the federal bldg. (y)

2. Yes, it is worth keeping. All of us surround supporters can not avoid redundancy, there is no way around that. Plus the original box set has the music in lossless. The new set will be lossy DTS. The deluxe box does have an amazing large booklet and I plan to keep my Aqualung LP record in case one day I want to do an "Al Pacino" a la And Justice For All, when he goes crazy and tosses the diner plates all over the federal bldg. (y)

It was Jeffrey Tambor, not Al Pacino.

I'll get it as well as I'm a QQ surround-aholic! :51banana: Well I want the flat transfers and the extra tracks not on the Blu-ray, and Aqualung is probably my favourite Tull album (along with Minstrels), plus it'll fit in with the others in the set, and the large Box Set can sit in amongst the others large sets I have.

It's Mr Nidec to you....:)

Presumably just keeping the blu-ray from the big box will do it since everything else that is on the box is on it?

Presumably just keeping the blu-ray from the big box will do it since everything else that is on the box is on it?

Yes, the Blu-Ray IMHO is the only reason to keep the 2011 box set (that plus the stellar hardback book). All other discs (CDs and DVDs) will be better in this forthcoming edition, and there's even a good vinyl-only version out there that came out last year featuring SW's stereo remix, for those of you who still like that sort of thing. ;)

Yes, I e-mailed two weeks ago, still no answer. Thanks! Will look for the new book edition.

Count me in Laddie! :smokin

By the time '77 rolled around, Tull had a very nice little setlist indeed! Plus the recording tech did get better by that time. I hope you are right! (y)

And 1977 was the best year the Earth ever saw(I saw my first concerts, ever, that summer in NYC: YES & ELP w/orchestra) :music

I'd always thought that 1977 was the year of the Sex Pistols and the Clash....[emoji3]

1977 was all about this:(y)

post img

Hard to dispute that one...huge...of course 42 year old Elvis died that year(also Bing Crosby and Charlie Chapman)...Saturday Night Fever launched the disco era...Grammy Record of The Year Masquerade-George Benson...Album of The Year..Songs In The Key of Life-Stevie Wonder...the neutron bomb is developed...the first test "glide" of the space shuttle "Enterprise" from the back of a 747...and I finally had sex with Kathy March...I had to include that one because if was big for me(y)

Haha Clint :)

I bought my first Queen album, News of the world, and became a big fan. But Star Wars was the big thing.

Yep I agree, a few of us missed some lectures at Uni to head to the Cinema and see it (no queues during the day!), and it was in Surround! Even though as scientists/engineers we knew you couldn't have sound in space, we were still over awed as the Millennium Falcon flew overhead pursued by the rumbling larger Empire battleship. It still feels like yesterday............apart from the colder head due to zero fur!

1977 was all about this:(y)

post img

Yep I agree, a few of us missed some lectures at Uni to head to the Cinema and see it (no queues during the day!), and it was in Surround! Even though as scientists/engineers we knew you couldn't have sound in space, we were still over awed as the Millennium Falcon flew overhead pursued by the rumbling larger Empire battleship. It still feels like yesterday............apart from the colder head due to zero fur!

The Hyper Drive was the "shate"...it brings back memories of me when I had my laser discs and a Mit 40inch rear projection tv...my friends thought I was the audio king..now I think about that tv and kinda chuckle...

[video=youtube;fBagc1Ww0_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBagc1Ww0_Y[/video]

Hard to dispute that one...huge...of course 42 year old Elvis died that year(also Bing Crosby and Charlie Chapman)...Saturday Night Fever launched the disco era...Grammy Record of The Year Masquerade-George Benson...Album of The Year..Songs In The Key of Life-Stevie Wonder...the neutron bomb is developed...the first test "glide" of the space shuttle "Enterprise" from the back of a 747...and I finally had sex with Kathy March...I had to include that one because if was big for me(y)

Forget the star wars stuff.... I wanna know more about having sex with Kathy March :cool:

Snood Preordered Burning Shed........always trust them with the JT boxsets, YES, XTC and SW. If ever something is not right production wise, (thankfully rarely happens) they send out the replacement discs no questions asked. They the source :dance:

Back