What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On to my next purchase....Glass Houses by Billy Joel. Another 45rpm MOFI release. Holy cow! This just sounds spectacular. Who knew that this album could sound this good? I did have to crank up the bass on my sub (for my taste), but who cares. Killer sound....crystal clear, punchy and it rocks. Wow!

Glass%20Houses.jpg

Emitt Rhodes "Rainbow Ends"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456619758.341962.jpg

Power pop legends first album in 43 years with help from those he inspired including Roger Joseph Manning Jr. & Jason Falkner of Jellyfish, Nels Cline, Aimee Mann, Susanna Hoffs, Jon Brion, Bleu, and members of Brian Wilson’s band. A really solid effort that grows upon repeated listening a.

Last edited:
Emitt Rhodes "Rainbow Ends"

View attachment 25369

Power pop legends first album in 43 years with help from those he inspired including Roger Joseph Manning Jr. & Jason Falkner of Jellyfish, Nels Cline, Aimee Mann, Susanna Hoffs, Jon Brion, Bleu, and members of Brian Wilson’s band. A really solid effort that grows upon repeated listenings.

Interesting............especially with Jellyfish members abound...........and Nels Cline hmmmmm

On to my next purchase....Glass Houses by Billy Joel. Another 45rpm MOFI release. Holy cow! This just sounds spectacular. Who knew that this album could sound this good? I did have to crank up the bass on my sub (for my taste), but who cares. Killer sound....crystal clear, punchy and it rocks. Wow!

Glass%20Houses.jpg

Those look like they sound GREAT!!!!

A pity that I can't order any of these anymore (unless it's through Amazon)...they'd gouge my eyes out with all the stupid Customs fee....
Anyway , enjoy them!!!!

Most of my LPs have been played once or twice since I needle drop them in 96/24 (clean them with CkickRepair) and later listen to it (and take out the sleeve)...

Absolutely love Emitt Rhodes! Had no idea he has a new album out.

When I was in 8th grade, I bought the Merry-Go-Round album and was hooked. Although this act was known and received airplay in LA, most folks in Chicago or elsewhere had never heard of them.

For those of you who had never heard Rhodes' or Merry-Go-Round, here's a couple clips of my favorite back tracks:

You're a Very Lovely Woman (1967 video performance): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7monOkWYbqk&spfreload=10

Fresh as a Daisy (1970): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5wdpBfGIZU

You do the things you do very well. You make me feel the way I've never felt...

Emmitt Rhodes "Rainbow Ends"

View attachment 25369

Power pop legends first album in 43 years with help from those he inspired including Roger Joseph Manning Jr. & Jason Falkner of Jellyfish, Nels Cline, Aimee Mann, Susanna Hoffs, Jon Brion, Bleu, and members of Brian Wilson’s band. A really solid effort that grows upon repeated listening a.

A few days ago, we played the SACD of Glass Houses. For both Joe and I, it's our favorite Billy Joel album.

Whoa, oh, oh ,oh...

There are some great deep cuts on this album like "All For Leyna" and "Close to the Borderline." When "Sometimes a Fantasy" was released as a single, the American pressings of the 45 featured a version that's 30 seconds longer than the version on the LP. It's never been released on CD.

Absolutely love Emitt Rhodes! Had no idea he has a new album out.

When I was in 8th grade, I bought the Merry-Go-Round album and was hooked. Although this act was known and received airplay in LA, most folks in Chicago or elsewhere had never heard of them.

For those of you who had never heard Rhodes' or Merry-Go-Round, here's a couple clips of my favorite back tracks:

You're a Very Lovely Woman (1967 video performance): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7monOkWYbqk&spfreload=10

Fresh as a Daisy (1970): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5wdpBfGIZU

You do the things you do very well. You make me feel the way I've never felt...

When he released his first self titled solo album back in 1970, it was rumored by some to be the work of McCartney because of the uncanny stylistic and vocal similarities - and the fact that he played all the instruments and sang all of the background vocals - quite remarkable for the time. Emitt never reached the success that his talent indicated and quickly soured on the business - becoming somewhat of a recluse. A few years back an Italian director did a documentary about Emitt called "One Man Beatles" - that was very well received at the film festival circuit but unfortunately never received distribution here in the States - this did however, spur some interest and rediscovery. He was encouraged by the many that still consider him so influential (not unlike Brian Wilson) - and slowly but surely put this album together over the past 2-3 years. It's a great story and I hope that this album brings him the recognition he deserves.

emitt.jpg

Last edited:
I don't suppose Sometimes A Fantasy includes the line I GOT BLISTERS ON MY BLISTERS! The SACD doesn't have it which is a real shame.

Glass%20Houses.jpg

Just did a vinyl RIP of this MOFI release...and whoa.....it just sounds STUPID good....here are the DR values...

Capture.JPG

When he released his first self titled solo album back in 1970, it was rumored by some to be the work of McCartney because of the uncanny stylistic and vocal similarities - and the fact that he played all the instruments and sang all of the background vocals - quite remarkable for the time. Emitt never reached the success that his talent indicated and quickly soured on the business - becoming somewhat of a recluse. A few years back an Italian director did a documentary about Emitt called "One Man Beatles" - that was very well received at the film festival circuit but unfortunately never received distribution here in the States - this did however, spur some interest and rediscovery. He was encouraged by the many that still consider him so influential (not unlike Brian Wilson) - and slowly but surely put this album together over the past 2-3 years. It's a great story and I hope that this album brings him the recognition he deserves.

View attachment 25374
I have that lp somewhere. I'll have to check it out when I find it.

I went to my brick & mortar today to pick up the new Peter Case - Hwy 62. Started to wander through the store and went to look and see if they had the Long Ryders box set. Did not find that, but saw the Loggins & Messina Audio Fidelity disc in a rack. Decided I needed to buy that. Found a few used that I wanted, The Waterboys - Modern Blues and Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day. These go along with my purchase of Peter Frampton - Acoustic Classics that I bought on Saturday. I talked to the owner of the store about the L& M disc and that it also contains the Quad mix on the sacd layer. He said he would bring in a few more of Audio Fidelity's titles. I then explained that the Allman Brothers Idelwild South that I bought in his store had a blu-ray with an incredible surround mix of the album. He was not even aware that a surround disc was in the set. He is a good guy and I always let him know that I appreciate the surround discs that he brings in. Scott

That's a really cool story!
For a long while, my favorite record store in the Middle TN area (Grimey's in Nashville) didn't carry any of the Audio Fidelity SACDs. Then one day in November, I went into the store to check out the "Loaded" box set from the Velvet Underground, and I ended up walking out with both of the SACDs for "Loggins & Messina" and "Birds of Fire"!
Now I went back in the store a few weeks ago and didn't see any other SACDs in there (hence why I finally bought the Sly and the Family Stone SACD from amazon) but it would be really cool if they could continue to get the SACDs in their store from this point onward. Hope Springs Eternal! :)

Let me tell you - this album sounds wonderful. So rich, with great detail. The bass is outstanding for the era.....Robin Gibb's vocals are simply shimmering...what a talent he was.

Yes! Original suede album jacket. So, cool....

Odessa.jpg

Odessa is my second favourite Bee Gees album after Trafalgar. Idea is my third. Love those lads.:)

Back