What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I mean the infamous 180 gram...200 gram...seems to be more marketing than science...just saying...

Oh yeah, I assume it's all marketing.

OK - so I have my first vinyl BUMP. The Beatles Abbey Road has a bad skip at the end of Octopus Garden....I mean, it stops the album in it's tracks....won't go any further. I tried cleaning the heck out of it...no help.

I assume I can return album.....and either way, I'm gonna complain loudly. In all my years of buying vinyl back in the day I never had a new album with problems. I assume quality control is suspect these days...?? I got it from Music Direct.

That all being said, the MOFI silver label of KC & Sunshine Band sounds excellent. :)

OK - so I have my first vinyl BUMP. The Beatles Abbey Road has a bad skip at the end of Octopus Garden....I mean, it stops the album in it's tracks....won't go any further. I tried cleaning the heck out of it...no help.

I assume I can return album.....and either way, I'm gonna complain loudly. In all my years of buying vinyl back in the day I never had a new album with problems. I assume quality control is suspect these days...?? I got it from Music Direct.

That all being said, the MOFI silver label of KC & Sunshine Band sounds excellent. :)

Ahhhhhh! Just put on Paul Simon, and it has a bad skip on the very first song...this skip should be obvious...there is an obvious bad spot you can see with little effort. UGH. What the hell is up? Just random bad luck...or should I be worried?

Ahhhhhh! Just put on Paul Simon, and it has a bad skip on the very first song...this skip should be obvious...there is an obvious bad spot you can see with little effort. UGH. What the hell is up? Just random bad luck...or should I be worried?

Buying new vinyl is a crap shoot Gene. I've stopped buying new vinyl because of this. I hope your luck comes back for your next purchases. :)

Well, they seem to toss that word around a bit....I think it's hit and miss. But so far, all of the Mobile Fidelity stuff is outstanding.

I've never accepted the fact that thicker is better. I have hundreds of dynagroove vinyl from years ago that sound amazing. The real issue to me is the quality of the vinyl itself.

Of course, I contacted Music Direct only minutes after I found the skips. While I'm not sure what "tone" I was hoping for as a response, somehow it sort of bothered me.

Yes, they are going to replace the vinyl (or refund). It's just that after a bit of questioning (I can even understand that) they ultimately said, sure no problem. But in the very 2nd sentence she said "We're going to make an exception here, because normally we only allow returns on media that is damaged in transit" Huh? What about defective stuff?

OK, it's vinyl, I get it. I suppose there are a LOT of dishonest people who scratched or damaged the product themselves but expect someone else to pay. Only thing is, I'm not one of those guys. Oh well, I know I shouldn't take offense...but I sort of do.

Of course, I contacted Music Direct only minutes after I found the skips. While I'm not sure what "tone" I was hoping for as a response, somehow it sort of bothered me.

Yes, they are going to replace the vinyl (or refund). It's just that after a bit of questioning (I can even understand that) they ultimately said, sure no problem. But in the very 2nd sentence she said "We're going to make an exception here, because normally we only allow returns on media that is damaged in transit" Huh? What about defective stuff?

OK, it's vinyl, I get it. I suppose there are a LOT of dishonest people who scratched or damaged the product themselves but expect someone else to pay. Only thing is, I'm not one of those guys. Oh well, I know I shouldn't take offense...but I sort of do.

I hate to say this...and probably shouldn't...but...since we are friends I will...it was only a matter of time until this happened...now it would be better to get confirmation from vinyl users on here...but I have a feeling that it's not an isolated situation...I'm sure they have bad runs of vinyl...I'm afraid that is part of the whole vinyl experience...the good and the bad and sometimes the ugly...my advice would be to take a refund...I doubt these albums are the only bad ones in the bunch...but again...advice from our vinyl members could help here...

I hate to say this...and probably shouldn't...but...since we are friends I will...it was only a matter of time until this happened...now it would be better to get confirmation from vinyl users on here...but I have a feeling that it's not an isolated situation...I'm sure they have bad runs of vinyl...I'm afraid that is part of the whole vinyl experience...the good and the bad and sometimes the ugly...my advice would be to take a refund...I doubt these albums are the only bad ones in the bunch...but again...advice from our vinyl members could help here...

I appreciate your candor. Believe me - that was one of the things I said in my email to Music Direct. My concern that if I take replacements, I will get a dud again. She told me they only will allow for 2 replacements of the same product. Then they shut the door. I also find that an odd policy. I mean, what if they truly screw up on their end?? The customer is supposed to bend over? I dunno.

But yeah - I'd be interested to hear from other vinyl buyers who may have had similar experiences... :)

I appreciate your candor. Believe me - that was one of the things I said in my email to Music Direct. My concern that if I take replacements, I will get a dud again. She told me they only will allow for 2 replacements of the same product. Then they shut the door. I also find that an odd policy. I mean, what if they truly screw up on their end?? The customer is supposed to bend over? I dunno.

But yeah - I'd be interested to hear from other vinyl buyers who may have had similar experiences... :)

I completely understand the limitation on replacements....some people would abuse it to death...that's why policies on returning electronics have been revised at retail outlets...due to customer abuse...I understand that you are the exception...but trust me...lot's of abuse takes place..

As a student way back in 1977 I bought an LP copy of Eric Clapton's Slowhand from Boots (a UK chemist/general store chain, still exists!) it was so badly warped I took it back, I was given a replacement, that one turned out to be as bad, the lady behind the counter put it on their Dansette and it played, she didn't want to replace it, I insisted. Guess what that was as bad, so when I took it back they really didn't want to change it as it played on their Dansette! After some heated exchange, along the lines of I have a Turntable not a Dansette, I said reorder its a faulty batch, I got my flatter disc, but I've only ever bought anything from them if there is nowhere else to get it from.

Considering that the last NEW record pressing machines were manufacturered circa 1982 [that's roughly 34 years ago] and they're running 24/7, a LOT can go awry in the manufacturing of vinyl. Since the NEW replacement cost of these presses is $500K, it is speculated that even the recent demand for vinyl does not warrant the investment in new presses. And it is also a skill that takes months to master.

That's NOT to say that physical digital disc manufacture doesn't have it's snafus. It most certainly does.

This original pressing sounds awesome......brand new, but it had a cutout on the lower album cover...so I got if for less than $10

Westies.jpg

Bought Tame Impala - Currents on vinyl. I already had the download and the vinyl crushes it. The hi-rez download only manages a 6 DR..couple of the songs dip to 5. The vinyl is a strong 9...couple songs hit 10. Regardless, my ears can easily hear the difference.

image_21.jpeg

image_22.jpeg

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any good 5.1 in SK. Just making of and concert videos, in DD 5.1 at best.
No mention of DTS or better on any packaging. Now, I've only had time and opportunity to hit a couple of shops.
The best reputed shops, as far as I can tell, focus on vinyl though. I'm not at all sure there is a market for 5.1 studio albums here. No evidence anyway.

Nabbed a copy (album) of Bee Gees - Spirits Have Flown from Discogs....got it for less than $10 shipped. Brand new vinyl, but clearly the whole package itself has been around the block. I don't care at all - it sounds absolutely perfect...no clicks, etc. Great sound, nice depth....

Bee%20Gees%20Spirits.jpg

Nabbed a copy (album) of Bee Gees - Spirits Have Flown from Discogs....got it for less than $10 shipped. Brand new vinyl, but clearly the whole package itself has been around the block. I don't care at all - it sounds absolutely perfect...no clicks, etc. Great sound, nice depth....

Bee%20Gees%20Spirits.jpg

At the rate you are buying vinyl how long will it be before you run out of space...you just finished a remodel...

Wow, got this one when it came out!!!
The vinyl was never too good, and the cover was damaged along with a bunch of LPs -well, my LP collection I left back home that I found in my black trunk OUTSIDE THE HOUSE , so it got ALL THE MORNING SUN (you should see my ELO "Secret messages")...but it still played fine a few years ago when I needledroped it...

Today, I received my replacement copies of both vinyls and they are both flawless. Lucked out....and...I'm happy. That Paul Simon sounds wonderful. :)

Just bought a blue vinyl copy of Meddle - Pink Floyd. It sounds absolutely killer Super deep bass and nice dynamics. And....I got a cool poster. :) :)

Meddle%20Blue%20Vinyl.jpg

Just bought a new version of Motley Crue killer album from 1980....Too Fast For Love. This album just rips and it sounds great. So, this is "white" vinyl...which really means you can see through it. All the oddities of pressing are obvious. It looks like scratches..but it plays flawlessly.

Too%20Fast%20For%20Love%20Vinyl.jpg

Back