Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put it on and it just about knocked me on the floor with the bass. You won't be disappointed with the bass.

Great!!!!!! Thank you cupboy

I want The Cars SACD and Heartbeat City SACD from The Cars

Drive...... Awesome song!!!!!!!

Does anybody know the release date for Heartbeat City SACD?

Regards,

Sergio Perez-More

I didn't know Country Joe had some Quad recordings, I'd like those to be released! Seen him twice, once in around 75/76 and then at the Cropredy Festival in 2005, picked up a brilliant live album of his "Live In Berkeley" there.

The first batch of quad reels ever made featured Country Joe & The Fish Greatest Hits which was played at a quad demo at a "stereo show" way back. I was there. I don't remember what brand of quad reel machine was used. Wasn't a Teac -- they weren't making them yet. May have been a Telex.

Great!!!!!! Thank you cupboy

I want The Cars SACD and Heartbeat City SACD from The Cars

Drive...... Awesome song!!!!!!!

Does anybody know the release date for Heartbeat City SACD?

Regards,

Sergio Perez-More

There is no way to predict when or if that one will be released...MoFi has had that specific title as "arrival date to be announced" for over a year...they did the same thing with the recently released Cars(debut album)SACD....some of these titles have been in this status for 2 years...

Question-4 anyone.

Was the Cd/Dvd of Buckley's Grace mixed in 5.1DD ?????? I always wondered when I looked it over, and well,Sony is notoriuosly bad for not indicating surround on some cd/dvd's I've noticed.

AFAIK, Grace was never remixed for 5.1. I do have the 2 disc SONY special edition set but it has since been eclipsed by ORG's BRILLIANT SACD remaster http://www.musicdirect.com/p-232033-jeff-buckley-grace-hybrid-sacd.aspx

Decodes well in DSP surround modes. A TREASURE to be sure!

The first batch of quad reels ever made featured Country Joe & The Fish Greatest Hits which was played at a quad demo at a "stereo show" way back. I was there. I don't remember what brand of quad reel machine was used. Wasn't a Teac -- they weren't making them yet.

It might've been an AKAI QUAD Open Reel. I have several of those Vanguard QUAD reels (including Country Joe, Joan Baez and Buffy Ste. Marie) and some classical titles and the s/n ratio of those early QUAD Open Reel Decks coupled with mediocre QUAD receivers of the time were really nothing to write home about. Imagine how they'd sound today on those $15~20K audiophile OR Decks?

So, AF, bring on Country Joe, Joanie and Buffy as QUAD SACDs. They're very much a part of our musical heritage.

My hopes are that Audio Fidelity pushes for more Quads that were SQ-only so we can finally hear them in their fully-discrete glory. An awful lot of late-era titles (1975, '76, '77) are SQ-only.

An excellent suggestion.

Many late-quad CBS titles are duds, but here's three SQ-only winners:

Janis Ian - Between the Lines
Janis Ian - Aftertones
Billy Joel - Turnstiles

The Turnstiles mix is a real stinker, but will probably sound better direct from the master. While I'd buy it, I don't see much demand existing for Native Son, any more than there would be for other post-hit letdowns like Michael Murphey's Swans Against the Sun or Phoebe Snow's Second Childhood.

An excellent suggestion.

Many late-quad CBS titles are duds, but here's three SQ-only winners:

Janis Ian - Between the Lines
Janis Ian - Aftertones
Billy Joel - Turnstiles

The Turnstiles mix is a real stinker, but will probably sound better direct from the master. While I'd buy it, I don't see much demand existing for Native Son, any more than there would be for other post-hit letdowns like Michael Murphey's Swans Against the Sun or Phoebe Snow's Second Childhood.

Turnstyles was released on Stereo SACD by Mobile Fidelity. So I'd say that one is a long shot as a Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity.

Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm is another SQ-only I'd like to have. That does have one hit on it.
The Janis Ian's would be nice but I thought the tapes were in bad shape or something like that?
Bob Dylan's Desire would be great, but pretty sure we got Quad-blocked on that by another company.
There's an O'Jays title (Family Reunion?) that is SQ-only.
Loggins & Messina - Native Sons (might as well complete the trilogy)

I'm sure there's others.

There are a few other CBS titles that were SQ vinyl only:

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody (1975)
The O'Jays - Survival (1975) and Family Reunion (1975)
The Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World (1976)
Dave Mason - Split Coconut (1975)
B.T. Express - Energy To Burn (1976)
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom (1975)

There are also these two, which supposedly had Q8 releases but I've never seen copies. Q-Eight could probably confirm/deny:

The Manhattans - Feels So Good (1977)
The Miracles - Love Crazy (1977)

It seems like the overwhelming majority of them are R&B or funk - I wonder if the sales of Q8's of earlier albums in these genres was poor enough that they decided not to bother with Q8's of these ones for that reason.

Also an interesting side-note about Billy Joel's 'Turnstiles': I think the reason it was vinyl only was because of a deal that the president of CBS (Walter Yetnikoff) had done to get Billy Joel out of his previous record contract with Family Productions. One of the stipulations was that Columbia would be able to release his new albums on vinyl, but that Family would get to release them on any tape formats. That's why the quad mixes of Piano Man and Streetlife Serenade were issued as yellow Q8's with the Family Productions logo (manufactured by Ampex) instead of the usual grey Columbia Q8's and are impossible to find as a result. You have to assume by 1976 when Turnstiles was released sales of quad tapes were probably so low (compared to the millions the stereo version was selling) that Family Productions just didn't bother to do a Q8, and Columbia wasn't allowed.

Yeah, while I like R/B and or Funk well enough - I sure wish we could see more rock oriented Quads coming out. Yeah, yeah...I know. I'm getting greedy. :)

There are also these two, which supposedly had Q8 releases but I've never seen copies. Q-Eight could probably confirm/deny:

The Manhattans - Feels So Good (1977)
The Miracles - Love Crazy (1977)

I don't own these (yet), but I have seen them so I can confirm they do exist on Q8. I haven't done a count lately, been working on the RCA collection mostly, but I'm reasonably certain I'm in excess of 600 Q8's by now.

Last edited:
Yeah, while I like R/B and or Funk well enough - I sure wish we could see more rock oriented Quads coming out. Yeah, yeah...I know. I'm getting greedy. :)

I might email Marshall soon to see what's the possibility of us getting "Tyranny and Mutation" (by BOC) in full as a Quadraphonic SACD as I'm also curious to know if they have access to the Quad tapes for "Secret Treaties" too.
Same goes for the Harold Melvin albums ("Wake Up Everybody" and "Black & Blue")
Both of the tracks from these artists on "The Collection" impressed me a lot, so let's hope AF pursues these titles in the future! :)

"Brian, do you care to comment on the Janis Ian titles?

Or is MUM the word?????????"

Say it ain't so......my girlfriend in college used to play "At Seventeen" and I would almost gag...... I'm giving Laura a shot, that Janis...no way. I'm sure other recall it fondly.....

While were still on the topic of smaller labels AUDIO FIDELITY might pursue for their "respective quad archives"(Vanguard), how about some of those Q8 only releases by;

UNITED ARTISTS/LIBERTY :

War -any of their Q8'S
Canned Heat-Future Blues
McCartney-Live And Let Die (S-T)
Ventures-Hawaii 5.0

a good start,I figure. :sun

While were still on the topic of smaller labels AUDIO FIDELITY might pursue for their "respective quad archives"(Vanguard), how about some of those Q8 only releases by;

UNITED ARTISTS/LIBERTY :

War -any of their Q8'S
Canned Heat-Future Blues
McCartney-Live And Let Die (S-T)
Ventures-Hawaii 5.0

a good start,I figure.
I don't think they've have much luck with Universal so far. How about some Edgar Winter.

It would be a Idea to put a list of all the
Titles that they may be able to release in
Multi Channel and get members to vote on them?

Also, for those that don't know, the Warner's 5.1 DVD-A s of The Doobie Brother's "The Captain and Me" and Carly Simon's "No Secrets" were also remixed in the same way, making them front-centric.

Wow - if that Doobie 5.1 is considered as front-centric I would like to hear quad. To my ears the 5.1 is not front heavy at all, rather a splendid and balanced mix on par with America's Homecoming mix.

Wow - if that Doobie 5.1 is considered as front-centric I would like to hear quad. To my ears the 5.1 is not front heavy at all, rather a splendid and balanced mix on par with America's Homecoming mix.

Exactly. That's a totally laughable statement IMHO. There's nothing 'front-centric' at all about Elliot Scheiner's surround mixes for either "Homecoming" or "The Captain & Me".

Back