Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. That's a totally laughable statement IMHO. There's nothing 'front-centric' at all about Elliot Scheiner's surround mixes for either "Homecoming" or "The Captain & Me".

..I think what surroundophile meant is that the old Doobies Quads have a radically different approach to mixing elements in the rears compared to Scheiner's 5.1 of Captain & Me..?
e.g. there's loads of rhythm section stuff etc going on in the rears on all the Doobies Quads (at times TONS of BASS back there! :yikes ...not everyone's cup of tea wrt surround mixing maybe..) whereas Scheiner's is more modern 5.1 approach of drums/bass more upfront etc.

Wow - if that Doobie 5.1 is considered as front-centric I would like to hear quad. To my ears the 5.1 is not front heavy at all, rather a splendid and balanced mix on par with America's Homecoming mix.

Yes, ES did the 5.1 DVD-a remix, and yes there are discrete moments. But it is front-centric (unlike most of his mixes) compared to the original 4.0 quad mix. If you don't have the 4.0, you should check it out!

I might email Marshall soon to see what's the possibility of us getting "Tyranny and Mutation" (by BOC) in full as a Quadraphonic SACD as I'm also curious to know if they have access to the Quad tapes for "Secret Treaties" too.
Same goes for the Harold Melvin albums ("Wake Up Everybody" and "Black & Blue")
Both of the tracks from these artists on "The Collection" impressed me a lot, so let's hope AF pursues these titles in the future! :)

Yes! I hope AF consider getting as many of the Philadelphia International Quads out on Surround SACD as possible.. several of them were only ever released on SQ LP with no discrete Q8 release (SQ LP only Quads indicated by *) and almost all of them are excellent Quads imho.. I might've forgotten some but they include;

Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - Black & Blue,
Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody (*),
MFSB - Love Is The Message,
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom (*),
O'Jays - Family Reunion (*),
O'Jays - Live In London,
O'Jays - Message In The Music,
O'Jays - Ship Ahoy,
O'Jays - Survival (*),
Billy Paul - 360 Degrees Of..,
Billy Paul - Live In Europe,
Billy Paul - War Of The Gods

Yes, ES did the 5.1 DVD-a remix, and yes there are discrete moments. But it is front-centric (unlike most of his mixes) compared to the original 4.0 quad mix. If you don't have the 4.0, you should check it out!

I trust you but I will not go any extra mile to hear the 4.0-version. I like a lot of multichannel mixes, including quad, but for me 5.1 is the real deal - and this Doobie disc is among the very best out there, if you ask me.

Hey Ralph, I do have the DTS CD & SQ LP of Abraxas but not compared to the track on this new collection yet.. I wasn't knocked out by it on this SACD either way.. but personally wished that if AF can't/couldn't do any of the Santana Quads as complete albums that they had taken the opportunity to present a track from one of his other Quads (there's like 10+ albums or something, so plenty of choice) rather than one from Abraxas.. but it is what it is & I'm trying to look on the bright side of the positives of this compilation, as Clint is :)

The reason I inquired about the Santana track, ADAM: I recently retreated* my DTS Abraxas RBCD and loaded it into my Meridian Sooloos and applied a +5 db bass boost and it FINALLY sounds pretty amazing. The bass does kick in halfway through Abraxas and really shines. I'd be curious how your SQ Abraxas sounds via the surround master.

(*Ultra Bit Diamond Plus....yeah, it sounds like a pricey engagement ring but actually it's a revolutionary 'fairy liquid' from Northern California......it's INSANELY Good especially on BD~Vs/As....and insanely expensive)

BTW, ARE you building the world's largest disco ball or was steelydave pulling my chain? HAD to ask. One NEVER knows!

I can get over it since the S/T album got a quad layer and it's fantastic. But my concern is that this title in stereo only is not going to do all that well for AF. I hope the licensing terms are extremely favorable (nice price), and AF have done the math and it works.

In the meantime I'd like to see some of those top choices we've been praying for. Been a bit heavy on soft rock lately. Full Sail being a real "A List" title buys some time for me.

I wasn't really interested in BS&T's Greatest Hits even if it was QUAD (WAY too much repetition) but I'm sure like most QQ posters, an AF QUAD SACD of BS&T II would be a NO brainer.

AF, GIVE US CHASE on QUAD SACD:woopiehttp://lossless-galaxy.ru/uploads/posts/2012-11/1353770631_chase-blu-spec.jpg

Are you not aware that BS&T (II) was already released by AF as a Quadraphonic SACD? http://www.audiofidelity.net/product/blood-sweat-tearsblood-sweat-tears
If you don't have it already, get it! It's easily in my top 3 favorite Quadraphonic SACDs that AF have released thus far! :)

Are you not aware that BS&T (II) was already released by AF as a Quadraphonic SACD? http://www.audiofidelity.net/product/blood-sweat-tearsblood-sweat-tears
If you don't have it already, get it! It's easily in my top 3 favorite Quadraphonic SACDs that AF have released thus far! :)

Ryan, as I was entering this post VERY early in the AM, I confused it with BS&T III. Apologies. Yes, BS&T II has always been one of my very favorite SACDs.......along with Child Is Father To The Man....which IS BS&T I!

BS&T first four are supposedly coming out in a SACD box set from Analogue Productions. Maybe they'll add the surround tracks, although that would be a 1st for them. In the past they've only offered surround tracks when the previous issue of the same title already had it.

BS&T first four are supposedly coming out in a SACD box set from Analogue Productions. Maybe they'll add the surround tracks, although that would be a 1st for them. In the past they've only offered surround tracks when the previous issue of the same title already had it.

Even if surround was a part of this upcoming BS&T SACD set from Analogue Productions, it would only affect the first two albums (which are already available from Audio Fidelity on Multichannel SACD). To my knowledge, albums 3 & 4 were never released in surround at all, so my gut feeling tells me that Analogue Productions will stick just with stereo for this upcoming set.

Even if surround was a part of this upcoming BS&T SACD set from Analogue Productions, it would only affect the first two albums (which are already available from Audio Fidelity on Multichannel SACD). To my knowledge, albums 3 & 4 were never released in surround at all, so my gut feeling tells me that Analogue Productions will stick just with stereo for this upcoming set.
Well, considering that 3 wasn't released in surround makes the loss of the quad greatest hits even more unfortunate.

I'm only interested in BS&T III if it's sold separately. I am perfectly satisfied (actually, thrilled) with Child Is Father To the Man and BS&T II from AF (Quad).

Well, considering that 3 wasn't released in surround makes the loss of the quad greatest hits even more unfortunate.

I couldn't agree more. Despite the overlap with "Child is Father to the Man" and BS&T(II), I was looking forward to hearing those other tracks in surround sound, as well as checking out the Quad mixes for those CIFTTM tracks that are on the compilation.
But oh well, at least now that's $20-30 I don't have to spend on that disc that I can put towards others! :)

I couldn't agree more. Despite the overlap with "Child is Father to the Man" and BS&T(II), I was looking forward to hearing those other tracks in surround sound, as well as checking out the Quad mixes for those CIFTTM tracks that are on the compilation.
But oh well, at least now that's $20-30 I don't have to spend on that disc that I can put towards others! :)

Yeah - there is little chance in hell I would buy this disc now...just too many other multi-channel titles I need to pay for.

AF has been releasing these at a very good pace and the titles released have been satisfactory. If you're into multichannel, you inevitably end up trying new things you wouldn't ordinarily try were titles more plentiful. Frankly it's been great hearing music outside my comfort zone. Keep them coming AF!

Really?
That will be the third (or fourth?) SACD release for some of these discs

Sounds like the quad honeymoon with AF is over for a lot of folks. Given the position we were in just a few short years ago, I am thrilled with the quantity of titles that we've gotten from AF; and they've all been high-res. We remain a small market and AF is a niche player. So although I don't plan to buy BS&T-GH, I can't get flustered over a bust with this one title.

P.S. I have compared several AF stereo-only releases to their redbook counterparts. The AF titles when synthesized to 7.1 with various decoders definitely have more depth, ambience, etc., so they are worthwhile purchases.

P.P.S. I still prefer a killer, great fidelity stereo recording in PLIIx or L7 compared to a poor sounding multichannel mix.

Sounds like the quad honeymoon with AF is over for a lot of folks. Given the position we were in just a few short years ago, I am thrilled with the quantity of titles that we've gotten from AF; and they've all been high-res. We remain a small market and AF is a niche player. So although I don't plan to buy BS&T-GH, I can't get flustered over a bust with this one title.

P.S. I have compared several AF stereo-only releases to their redbook counterparts. The AF titles when synthesized to 7.1 with various decoders definitely have more depth, ambience, etc., so they are worthwhile purchases.

Spot on...the complaints never end whatever these companies do..don't get me started:nuke...if it doesn't have a stand alone version..they bitch...if it does have one why do they have a DVD-V and not DVD-A in the box set...it's only DTS..wah.wah...the cover is not right...maybe a "dry spell" is just what the Dr. ordered for some of these high maintenance types who have forgotten how lucky we are to be getting ANYTHING..for AF to bring back these old releases is a huge gamble for them...and then if it's not exactly what they want they cry..I just get tired of the repetitive "complaints"...people like Marshall are rare in the music biz these days...he's not a bean counter who doesn't get it...he gets it...there obviously is a reason why some of these releases aren't in quad..but some of the oxygen deprived drones on here haven't figured that out yet...I guess they are still waiting for that mensa club invitation that must be lost in the mail...

Back