Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also strange, I have this box in my cart on Bull Moose (since yesterday) and today I go there and in red print below my cart it says " Buying is disabled for this product"

How weird is that? Aaaannnd, what does that mean?

Guessing that they sold their initial allotment with all of the pre-orders especially with Amazon's high initial price.
So, did you not go through checkout?

As when 1+ was released, I still do not get all of the negativity about the mix.
What makes anyone think that they(Giles & Sam) didn't do the best they could with the sources they had?
Yeah, the surround content was pretty low but otherwise at least in my 5.1 system it sounded great.
Just my 2 cents.

Amazon Italy does have a great price but I ordered something from there a few years ago, it was beat to hell and took a month to arrive.
The discs inside were ok so I didn't bother returning it.
Just my experience.

One nit, why include duplicate content on the DVD & BD?
Who the hell wants the 5.1 in lossy DD?? and 480p video when they did a 4k restoration on the video content?
Odd.

Much thanks to all of you who are taking a shot a pre-ordering this set. I just listened to parts of 1+ last night. The more I hear it, the more it disappoints me, even in stereo. There are a lot things that just sound wrong with that production besides the lame 5.1 mixes. So I am a "wait and see" on this Pepper set. Looking forward to your reports.

I think you might be disappointed as Giles doesn't divert much from the original mix instrument balances in his 5.1 productions

I have always felt that Sgt Pepper suffered from the really congested sound of only having 4 track when they wanted us to hear significantly more complex recordings than previously tried. (Even with using 2 x 4 track equipment.)

I think, and really hope, that having 5.1 channels of playback will allow Giles to create mixes that have a lot of room to breathe.

It will be interesting to hear if this openness solidifies this album as a monumental accomplishment, or exposes some warts that are not heard previously.

All indications are Pepper 5.1 will be like the 5.1 on Love.

I like everything that has been done in 5.1 for the Beatles. Love was really adventurous, while 1+ was pretty conservative. That said, I hope that Pepper is someplace in the middle, and predict it will be.

Have to remember that Macca and Richey are still in the decision making tree.

Please excuse me if this is straying too far off topic, but I just checked my old Anthology DVD box set and verified it's in 5.1.
I haven't watched it in years, and never on my newer full-power man-cave surround setup.

I'd be grateful if anybody would like to share favorite scenes, tunes etc. that showcase the surround mix best.

:sun If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace. – John Lennon :sun

I really like "Help". Sounds incredible in 5.1, but I can't say that they ever give us the whole song in the Anthology series.

One nit, why include duplicate content on the DVD & BD?
Who the hell wants the 5.1 in lossy DD?? and 480p video when they did a 4k restoration on the video content?
Odd.

Because, believe it or not, not everyone has a Blu-Ray player.
Providing both DVD & Blu-Ray assures that almost everyone can play the content without having to manufacture different sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All indications are Pepper 5.1 will be like the 5.1 on Love.

So far that's been one tweet! :)

But, it definitely increased my excitement. I imagine the general consensus that the 5.1 mix wasn't immersive like Love, and that this was a negative, got back to those guys. Fingers crossed.

I've listened to Love more since 1+ came out than 1+.

I think you might be disappointed as Giles doesn't divert much from the original mix instrument balances in his 5.1 productions

He did great work on Love.

These albums are becoming like our children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren - Every time one reaches a milestone, we have to go to the party and spend money again.

:banana:You'll still be payin':music
For the records you're playin':music
When "Pepper" is sixty-four!:banana:

Now, here we go again, a 5.1 trapped in a freaking box set! Here is the kicker that pisses me off- I only want the BD disc! And, I will shell out sell at a pittance the remainder,just like the damm PF sets, and only to have the disc fail in a few years.
I try not to be so negative, but holy socks!!! I grew up with the fab 4. From the 1st time I saw them on the tonight show as a gag, ( and we all laughed-hard) but we all gave them our money! I don't mind-I want the GD thing! But enough is enough!!
DSOTM cost me $35.00 after I sold the box, I got lucky on WYWH, @ $35.00 without having to buy the box.
I don't mind even pissing away $50.00 if a good album. These bstrds at the retailer have us by the base of our knarly's.:howl
But, all in all here is what I can do with my concerns-place it gently where it's the darkest on my body, and push! I'll buy the effing thing! C S'rs

Because, believe it or not, not everyone has a Blu-Ray player.
Providing both DVD & Blu-Ray assures that almost everyone can play the content without having to manufacture different sets.
I fully understand that rt and was only picking a nit. Not upset just kind of seems odd.
But really, how many people that are really into 5.1 don't have a BD player?
Plus it's a DVD video disc and not a DVD Audio disc.

BTW, I did buy the KC On(and off) The Road boxset just to get the BD exclusive to that set but even there the DVD-As and BDs did not have identical content.

Now, here we go again, a 5.1 trapped in a freaking box set! Here is the kicker that pisses me off- I only want the BD disc! And, I will shell out sell at a pittance the remainder,just like the damm PF sets, and only to have the disc fail in a few years.
I try not to be so negative, but holy socks!!! I grew up with the fab 4. From the 1st time I saw them on the tonight show as a gag, ( and we all laughed-hard) but we all gave them our money! I don't mind-I want the GD thing! But enough is enough!!
DSOTM cost me $35.00 after I sold the box, I got lucky on WYWH, @ $35.00 without having to buy the box.
I don't mind even pissing away $50.00 if a good album. These bstrds at the retailer have us by the base of our knarly's.:howl
But, all in all here is what I can do with my concerns-place it gently where it's the darkest on my body, and push! I'll buy the effing thing! C S'rs

What a great post!

Plus it's a DVD video disc and not a DVD Audio disc.

That's because the DVD has a lot more video content compared to your average DVDA-V disc.
The full documentary plus three promo videos doesn't leave much space at all for any high-res DVD-audio content, but it does not bother me one bit.
We have all the same content in high-res on the Blu-Ray, so that's all that matters.

:)

Also strange, I have this box in my cart on Bull Moose (since yesterday) and today I go there and in red print below my cart it says " Buying is disabled for this product"

How weird is that? Aaaannnd, what does that mean?

GOS, you should try Bullmoose again.
I just went there and was able to add it to my cart.
I didn't do a checkout but it seems that if they were shutting down orders they would have an out of stock or back-ordered or something.
I'm thinking you ran into some sort of website glitch.

That won't happen, otherwise they would be rolling out with the other formats at the end of May.
You have to understand, this Blu-Ray does not function like a lot of other Blu-Ray discs do.
The video documentary holds just as much importance on the Blu-Ray & DVD as the 5.1 mix does (well maybe not to most of you, but to Beatles fans, yes)
It's a disc that is not designed to be sold separately but to be sold as a visual (and high-res audio) complement to the CDs in the box set, which is the real focus for most Beatles fans (especially the 2CDs with session tracks)

I know :(.

Well its listed on amazon.co.uk at £140.99. SpinCDs are offering it at £99.99 but I'm having a great deal of problems with them, paying for stuff that hasn't arrived, no matter what is promised.

So I'm hoping our friends at Burning Shed are going to sell it, I've asked them.

What was that Snood was hearing about a bad start to the 5.1 - 2017 year??? :banana::banana::banana:

This definitely makes up for a slow start :cool::cool::banana::banana:

Now I may be being 5.1 greedy, but does this release give hope for surround mixes of "The White Album" & "Abbey Road"? - my favourites of the later music :music

LMAO! Well, I have successfully purchased (pre-ordered) the deluxe box from:

1. Amazon Canada for their low, low price. :) Probably they will cancel that...but so far they haven't.
2. Amazon US - currently $149 and with tax is $159 :yikes I honestly have to think they will, at some point, lower that price...won't they?
3. Bull Moose - $120 shipped.

Will I just keep all 3? Stranger things have happened.

Back