Giles Martin to re-mix Sgt Pepper's Atmos Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1981 Apple computers pays $80k and agrees to never go into the music business... then pay $26 million and $50-100 million to Apple Corps when they do.
Now two of the largest entertainment entities on the planet release one of the most popular albums of all time in the new fancy-pants format and they don't say a word.
The exclusive commentary goes to Tidal and the movie goes to Disney. ??
It's so weird.
Seems like collusion to get people sucked into multiple subscriptions. :p

It definitely is. Loved how immerse now it sounds. Waaay better than the 1st atmos mix.
Disagree. Playing this while the first one is still somewhat fresh in my memory, I think I prefer the first atmos mix. They‘re similar for the most part, but the first one seemed to capture the essence of the album a little better.

To each his own though.

It would be nice to compare the two, but unfortunately that’s probably never going to happen.

I don't quite understand. (I haven't bought Apple Music yet.) If you add it to your library, and the service deletes the title, how can you still listen to it?
You can’t. Unless like in the case of the new Pepper atmos mix, it simply replaces the old version.

The future of surround is probably download-only, except in the case of a big seller, which would probably include the Beatles. If Apple Corps gets enough requests for a disc, it will probably happen.

The future of surround is probably download-only, except in the case of a big seller, which would probably include the Beatles. If Apple Corps gets enough requests for a disc, it will probably happen.
Downloads of Atmos material at a resolution typical of Bluray audio would be a good middle of the road solution. But I would prefer the physical media. Certainly, Pepper would be a title that would sell.

If Apple gets enough requests? Sorry but they likely won’t nor will they care.

I don’t like it where it’s all headed, but I‘m not naive. The goal of streaming is not to provide an alternative. It’s to eliminate the other alternatives.

Downloads of Atmos material at a resolution typical of Bluray audio would be a good middle of the road solution. But I would prefer the physical media. Certainly, Pepper would be a title that would sell.
They’ve already milked Pepper. Net revenue from another physical copy focused on an atmos mix - in 2022 or beyond - would be a rounding error for Apple Corp.

It would be nice to get streaming at a higher resolution, but I’m not sure the folks who own the material and distribution will be very eager to jump on that once they‘ve locked out other possibilities. But hopefully it might be seen as a selling point for the streaming competitors.

If there is money to be made from either physical copies or downloads, they will be made available. None of the parties involved will leave money on the table.

If that doesn't happen and, the content isn't available any other way, it will be pirated.

If there is money to be made from either physical copies or downloads, they will be made available. None of the parties involved will leave money on the table.

If that doesn't happen and, the content isn't available any other way, it will be pirated.
Apple Corp has left lots of money on the table in the past and present. They play the long game.

Again, streaming isn’t about presenting an another alternative. It’s ultimately about getting rid of alternatives.

It’s not easy at present to pirate surround streaming on Apple Music. And it won’t be easy to make physical pirates when the discs are no longer made.

Atmos streaming will be at better resolution in the future. Like all was done with 4k to video.
I‘m sure.
Perhaps. Maybe even probably.

But why isn’t it now? There is bandwidth to handle it and most systems could deal with it just as easily as the current upconverted PCM stream.

It’s not easy at present to pirate surround streaming on Apple Music.

They thought they could stop VHS copying. They didn't.
They thought they finally had a theft-proof system with DVD. That's been cracked for a long time.
They thought they had a secure system with DVD-A, then SACD, then Bluray. Today they can all be easily ripped.

There are already ways to pirate video streams from the big players like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney.

Give the hackers time (not a lot... they dont need a lot). They will figure out how to steal Atmos streams as well. That may be even easier than hacking the physical copies.

They thought they could stop VHS copying. They didn't.
They thought they finally had a theft-proof system with DVD. That's been cracked for a long time.
They thought they had a secure system with DVD-A, then SACD, then Bluray. Today they can all be easily ripped.

There are already ways to pirate video streams from the big players like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney.

Give the hackers time (not a lot... they dont need a lot). They will figure out how to steal Atmos streams as well. That may be even easier than hacking the physical copies.
It’ll be harder to hack streams than physical discs. But it’ll probably be a continual cat and mouse game.

Nevertheless you skipped past the more important point. If nobody is manufacturing physical discs, how will pirated recordings be broadly and easily distributed and sold? And frankly, given the legal market for physical discs of surround music is already exceedingly small, how much of a market will there be for pirated discs? Especially when you will be able to simply stream your choice of potentially hundreds or thousands of albums - legally and in better, more consistent quality - for $20 (or whatever) a month?

Again, I hate to see the option of owning versions of music permanently being phased out. But it’s not going to slow down or stop.

It’ll be harder to hack streams than physical discs. But it’ll probably be a continual cat and mouse game.

Nevertheless you skipped past the more important point. If nobody is manufacturing physical discs, how will pirated recordings be broadly and easily distributed and sold?

Ever heard of the internet? Downloads. Very few people care about physical discs any more.

Nevertheless you skipped past the more important point. If nobody is manufacturing physical discs, how will pirated recordings be broadly and easily distributed and sold? And frankly, given the legal market for physical discs of surround music is already exceedingly small, how much of a market will there be for pirated discs?

Again, I hate to see the option of owning versions of music permanently being phased out. But it’s not going to slow down or stop.
Think what you like. But if there is a market there, someone will exploit it, whether legally or not. And there will be a market. Trust me, Id rather have downloads than disks. Discs are a nuisance to me. I buy them, rip them, store them and never take them out again. But there are many here and many more elsewhere that will not give up on physical media whether it be surround or stereo. And think of the purists out there. They will tell the streaming companies to take their product and stick it. They aren't playing that "crap" on their $40K systems. Releases from labels may slow down to a trickle, but media will still be available in some form for those who want it.

Yes, maybe a cat and mouse game. But the hackers always seem to catch up quickly.

..' Especially when you will be able to simply stream your choice of potentially hundreds or thousands of albums - legally and in better, more consistent quality - for $20 (or whatever) a month?

You are assuming a lot here. This is a digital world. There will be no loss in quality.

Look at what is happening with video right now. Every streaming platform has exclusive material. Right now there is only Apple and Tidal streaming spatial audio. And even now, there are exclusive releases from those two providers. Wait until the next half dozen streaming companies come on board. That $20 will turn into $100 in order to get all the exclusive content.

And then it will be the end of days, and there will be cats and dogs living together.....and...

Back