Listening to 5.1 files with Apple iPhone spatial renderer (and problems with Apple Music match)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinGr

I have a quite huge collection of SACDs and DVD-Audios - and now I've finished ripping and tagging them.

As I spend a lot of time with listening abroad, I wondered how I could use the Apple spatial renderer on my iPhone (with AirPods Pro 2) for surround listening.
I love how Atmos works binaural with Apple Music - so I am looking for something similar with my local files. First idea was to generate binaural versions with APL Virtuoso... but now I found something better. I transcoded the 5.1 files to multichannel AAC files, and added them to my Apple Music library (on Windows).
So far, so good - I'm quite impressed with the results. Especially, as I like headtracking.

But now my problem: There is a thing called Apple Music match. Some of my surround files are replaced by stereo versions from Apple Music (to save storage space I suppose). Some albums aren't changed at all, but for example the DVD-Audio of LOVE (The Beatles) is a mess now.

Any ideas, how to get rid of Apple Music match? LOVE might be an album, where one file containing all the tracks might be a solution. But not a good compromise. And St. Matthews Passion is too long for this.
Is it possible to load the files directly to the iPhone - into the library of the Apple Music app?
I suppose that Music Match is analysing the audio file - so tricks with tagging won't help (?)

Thanks,
Martin

To answer my own question: it seems as if Apple Music Match doesn't replace files with higher sample rates. So in 96k it works so far.
But it works only with AirPods. It‘s possible to force Atmos streaming with 3rd party headphones, but with own multichannel files the spatial renderer seems to be limited to Apple products.

Last edited:
Back