Streaming Dolby Atmos from Apple Music to Sony HT-A7000 via iPhone

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naiveteenidol

Hi. I have a Sony TV setup with a HT-A7000 soundbar. When I was first getting into Atmos, I sampled Amazon Music HD – which allowed me to Chromecast to the TV for Atmos – I had to use Alexa to the HT-A7000 directly to get it to play 360RA. A little hinky but it all worked and sounded great.

I recently bought some AirPod Pros which came with 6 free months of Apple Music so I figured I’d try that instead for a bit. But I can’t figure out how to get it to play the Atmos stream as Airplay doesn’t seem to work. It just plays a stereo feed.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi. I have a Sony TV setup with a HT-A7000 soundbar. When I was first getting into Atmos, I sampled Amazon Music HD – which allowed me to Chromecast to the TV for Atmos – I had to use Alexa to the HT-A7000 directly to get it to play 360RA. A little hinky but it all worked and sounded great.

I recently bought some AirPod Pros which came with 6 free months of Apple Music so I figured I’d try that instead for a bit. But I can’t figure out how to get it to play the Atmos stream as Airplay doesn’t seem to work. It just plays a stereo feed.

Any ideas?
AirPlay doesn't support any more than two channels at up to 24-bit/48kHz lossless. In order to get Atmos from Apple Music, you either need an Apple TV 4K or a Mac with HDMI output.

AirPlay doesn't support any more than two channels at up to 24-bit/48kHz lossless. In order to get Atmos from Apple Music, you either need an Apple TV 4K or a Mac with HDMI output.
Thanks. My Sony Bravia has the Apple TV+ app natively installed on it -- which plays Atmos. But there isn't an Apple Music app available on the Google Play store for Google TVs, just Androids. Feels like a miss but an odd one.

Thanks. My Sony Bravia has the Apple TV+ app natively installed on it -- which plays Atmos. But there isn't an Apple Music app available on the Google Play store for Google TVs, just Androids. Feels like a miss but an odd one.
It's just another sales tactic by Apple. "Want music in Atmos? Buy an Apple TV 4K."

Back