Help playing SACD collection please!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpyhifi

I have recently changed from a Sony AVR with KEF speakers, to a Sony HT-A7000 with sub-woofer, due to a living room redecoration makeover which meant “No Cables and No More Speakers” hence the soundbar. Sadly (after agreeing to this and after purchasing the soundbar and selling my old kit 🙁) I’ve now found it impossible to play my SACD collection in 5.1 (I’ve kept my Sony Blu-Ray player). The soundbar does do 5.1 DSD but only via a plugged in USB it appears. I’ve managed to get an LDAC Bluetooth connection from the Blu Ray player to the soundbar but of course that downmixes the 5.1 to 2 channels. I also have a Sony XR-A55 Bravia OLED TV, a Technics SL-1500 turntable, and now a newly added WiiM Pro. I’ve joined the forum to see if anyone can help me find a way to get LPCM through to my soundbar to actually play my SACDs! Failing that, does anyone have any idea where I could buy good DSD downloads - I really miss playing Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1!

Stating your blu-ray player model would be helpful, but presumably you can switch the output from DSD to LPCM somewhere in the settings. Perhaps this could help?

If you need to stick to dsd files via USB, you could rip your SACDs to such files. There is little overlap between what is available via downloads and 5.1/4.0 discs, and they are often unreasonably expensive. If you are lucky, your Sony blu-ray player might be suitable for ripping SACDs: Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping . If not, you can get one for 20-30 quid on ebay.

EDIT: not wireless
I know you did not ask about this, but have you considered small, discreet wireless speakers instead of the soundbar? I thought I'd bring this up as I'd seen this amazing deal recently: 5X Monitor Audio Mass Satellite (Mist White)

Last edited:
Stating your blu-ray player model would be helpful, but presumably you can switch the output from DSD to LPCM somewhere in the settings. Perhaps this could help?

If you need to stick to dsd files via USB, you could rip your SACDs to such files. There is little overlap between what is available via downloads and 5.1/4.0 discs, and they are often unreasonably expensive. If you are lucky, your Sony blu-ray player might be suitable for ripping SACDs: Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping . If not, you can get one for 20-30 quid on ebay.

I know you did not ask about this, but have you considered small, discreet wireless speakers instead of the soundbar? I thought I'd bring this up as I'd seen this amazing deal recently: 5X Monitor Audio Mass Satellite (Mist White)
Thanks for the reply. It’s a UBP-X800. It’s not a model that can be used to rip SACDs - I looked at that last year. Having spent £1500 on the soundbar and subwoofer and written off (ie sold but obviously had to sell at less than I paid) a really good AVR and 5 KEF speakers and a KEF powered subwoofer I sadly can’t justify scrapping the current setup. I’ve tried outputting as LPCM. I don’t want to rip SACDs as I’ve not got the kit.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a UBP-X800. It’s not a model that can be used to rip SACDs - I looked at that last year. Having spent £1500 on the soundbar and subwoofer and written off (ie sold but obviously had to sell at less than I paid) a really good AVR and 5 KEF speakers and a KEF powered subwoofer I sadly can’t justify scrapping the current setup. I’ve tried outputting as LPCM. I don’t want to rip SACDs as I’ve not got the kit.
I’m trying to find a way of outputting LPCM over HDMI possibly via an adapter or splitter that might work either to i) the TV and onwards by eARC to the soundbar, or ii) use the adapter with the audio only HDMI output from the UBP-X800 to the soundbar.

Not sure that I'm following what the adapter/splitter would achieve here. Outputting DSD or LPCM is down to the blu-ray player. You can change this under Audio Settings:

[DSD Output Mode]
[Auto]: Outputs DSD signal from HDMI OUT
jack when playing Super Audio CD & DSD
format file (if the connected device also
supports DSD).
Outputs LPCM signal from HDMI OUT jack
when playing Super Audio CD & DSD format
file (if the connected device does not support
DSD).
[Off]: Outputs PCM signals from HDMI OUT
jack when playing Super Audio CD and DSD
format file.

If the above doesn't work, maybe try raising a case with Sony's support? I found them helpful in the past.

Re not having the kit to rip SACDs, you can easily get it on the cheap. Definitely a worthwhile investment, particularly in case all else fails in your case.

Not sure that I'm following what the adapter/splitter would achieve here. Outputting DSD or LPCM is down to the blu-ray player. You can change this under Audio Settings:

[DSD Output Mode]
[Auto]: Outputs DSD signal from HDMI OUT
jack when playing Super Audio CD & DSD
format file (if the connected device also
supports DSD).
Outputs LPCM signal from HDMI OUT jack
when playing Super Audio CD & DSD format
file (if the connected device does not support
DSD).
[Off]: Outputs PCM signals from HDMI OUT
jack when playing Super Audio CD and DSD
format file.

If the above doesn't work, maybe try raising a case with Sony's support? I found them helpful in the past.

Re not having the kit to rip SACDs, you can easily get it on the cheap. Definitely a worthwhile investment, particularly in case all else fails in your case.
Hi - thanks for the reply. The problem is that the because of HDCP protection the TV and the soundbar will not accept LPCM over HDMI if the source is from a SACD. If I still had an AVR and speakers I wouldn’t have the problem. AVRs have a different chip and can accept LPCM from a SACD source; some can also accept DSD too. I have tried all possible permutations of outputs, hence trying to find a hardware solution.

I had a similar problem with the Intel i7 NUC I bought, my old Pioneer SCLX86 was not recognised as a complaint HDCP sink, so no output. The NUC couldn't downgrade. I tried a variety of HDMI splitters/convertors, none worked. The only thing that worked was routing the NUC through my Oppo 203, which downgraded the video and so let through the 5.1 audio. One of the issues is that newer HDCP sources scan the whole HDMI chain (so all devices, and they don't need to be powered up) and either downgrades (if it can) or inhibits if it doesn't find a compatible device. You might try one of the HDFury range Home | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI

I bought a new AV Amp.

I had a similar problem with the Intel i7 NUC I bought, my old Pioneer SCLX86 was not recognised as a complaint HDCP sink, so no output. The NUC couldn't downgrade. I tried a variety of HDMI splitters/convertors, none worked. The only thing that worked was routing the NUC through my Oppo 203, which downgraded the video and so let through the 5.1 audio. One of the issues is that newer HDCP sources scan the whole HDMI chain (so all devices, and they don't need to be powered up) and either downgrades (if it can) or inhibits if it doesn't find a compatible device. You might try one of the HDFury range Home | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI

I bought a new AV Amp.
Many thanks - I’ll research this - hopefully I’ll not have to go down the AVR route after all I’ve gone through!

Back