Modern player for DTS CDs, DVD-A, and SACD 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectomix

Hi all, trying to determine if there are any current disc players out there that are compatible with the DTS CDs from the early 2000s? Would prefer to be able to buy something new, but also open to being pointed in the direction of good secondhand options.

And if possible, I figure while I’m at it, I may as well try to find something that can also play the DVD-A layer of DVD-Audio discs, and multichannel SACDs. Compatibility with all three formats would be fantastic, but the DTS CD is my first priority, followed by DVD-A, and SACD last.

Forgot to mention, my current setup is a smart TV plus a 5.1 soundbar system (with satellite speakers) which seems to be compatible with just about every format out there (Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby, etc), so I’d like something that won’t necessitate a separate A/V receiver.

Last edited:
For DTS CD I think any player that can send the output as a Bitstream over HDMI to the AVR will do, the AVR should detect the DTS and decode.

I have a few DTS CDs they play happily with the Oppo 203. I just got a Sony UDP X800MkII as a back up player and it will do SACD, DVD-A, BD, & CD I haven't tried a DTS-CD in it, but I can't see why it shouldn't play the disc.

For DTS CD I think any player that can send the output as a Bitstream over HDMI to the AVR will do, the AVR should detect the DTS and decode.

I have a few DTS CDs they play happily with the Oppo 203. I just got a Sony UDP X800MkII as a back up player and it will do SACD, DVD-A, BD, & CD I haven't tried a DTS-CD in it, but I can't see why it shouldn't play the disc.
Sorry - Forgot to mention, my current setup is a smart TV plus a 5.1 soundbar system (with satellite speakers) which seems to be compatible with just about every format out there (Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby, etc), so I’d like something that won’t necessitate a separate A/V receiver.

I like the older Denon Universal Players. I still have my original working DVD 1940ci. Plays everything on your list. Has 5.1 analog outs and HDMI out. Plays multichannel DTS, SACDs and DVD Audios. And the Denon universal players can be had for a reasonable price on the used market.

I like the older Denon Universal Players. I still have my original working DVD 1940ci. Plays everything on your list. Has 5.1 analog outs and HDMI out. Plays multichannel DTS, SACDs and DVD Audios. And the Denon universal players can be had for a reasonable price on the used market.
Thanks!

* No issues with DTS-CD on my UBP X800M2.

Bluray Audio [DTS and DD], DVD-Audio, SACD, and numerous burned media types all play surround well from the Sony.

I did some homework prior to purchase and it's probably the best lower end unit you can buy that covers all possible formats. Newer Oppo's would be the next tier at twice+ the price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Sony+-+UBP-X800M2
*updated post -- I found someone had tinkered with a setting on my receiver, the dts on the CDs from the Sony was working fine all along.

Last edited:
The Denon suggestion can be expanded to many brands and pieces from the early 2000. I picked up a Yamaha DVD S1700 for $40 , including its remote and it plays everything on the list , and has analog outs and also HDMI. There are similar players from every brand that was active then.
The only thing it won't play is BluRay. Denon Yamaha Marantz Sony Pioneer and numerous others.

I think any player would be capable of playing DTS CDs; just bitstream to a DTS compatible source. If your soundbar can decode DTS, you're set with any BD player I'd imagine. You can get one used cheap and even most new BD players are pretty cheap. If you want to go whole hog and be 4K compatible, then the Sony UBP 800X M2 is your best bet.

I'd look for a used Oppo playerso long as it is new enough to have HDMI out.. One of their DVD players (e.g. DV-981HD) can do everything you want and should only set you back about $150 if you keep your eyes open. A used Oppo Blu-Ray player (BDP-93, 103, or 103D) will likely cost $300-$400. Those things can play anything you throw at them. Just keep checking FB marketplace and Craigslist. It may take a month or so but you'll find one. Oh, and if you want an inexpensive 4K player, you can pick up an XBOX ONE X (not a Series X) for $200 or so.

Last edited:
* No issues with DTS-CD on my UBP X800M2.

Bluray Audio [DTS and DD], DVD-Audio, SACD, and numerous burned media types all play surround well from the Sony.

I did some homework prior to purchase and it's probably the best lower end unit you can buy that covers all possible formats. Newer Oppo's would be the next tier at twice+ the price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Sony+-+UBP-X800M2
*updated post -- I found someone had tinkered with a setting on my receiver, the dts on the CDs from the Sony was working fine all along.
Hmm think I found another model that should also do the trick for just $100:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/4919700.p?skuId=4919700
(Lists SACD and DVD-Audio, and decodes DTS)

This model does not play DVD-Audio
Found the manual on Sony’s site, and yeah, looks like you’re right. 😕 Must have been a goof on Best Buy’s end, I guess. Dunno if I wanna pay almost three times as much just for the DVD-A factor, especially since I can at least still play the lossy 5.1 layer of those discs…

Sorry - Forgot to mention, my current setup is a smart TV plus a 5.1 soundbar system (with satellite speakers) which seems to be compatible with just about every format out there (Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby, etc), so I’d like something that won’t necessitate a separate A/V receiver.
You'll need to set the player you get to output PCM over HDMI for SACD not as the native DSD format, as a few people on QQ have mentioned having issues with soundbars not accepting DSD.

Back