Help please - can’t play my SACDs!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpyhifi

I have recently changed from a Sony AVR with KEF speakers, to a Sony HT-A7000 due to a living room redecoration makeover which meant “No Cables and No More Speakers” hence the soundbar. Sadly I’ve now found it impossible to play my SACD collection (I’ve kept my Sony Blu-Ray player). I also have a Sony XR-A55 Bravia OLED TV, a Technics SL-1500 turntable, and now a newly added WiiM Pro. I’ve joined the forum to see if anyone can help me find a way to get LPCM through to actually play my SACDs! Failing that, does anyone have any idea where I could buy good DSD downloads - I really miss playing Dark Side of the Moon!

What's the model number of your SACD capable player?

If you are intending to send a native dsd signal to your Sony HT-A7000 soundbar (via HDMI), I doubt it can decode such signals!
There is another thread on a Sonos (?) soundbar that won't accept DSD - agree with you that soundbars are unlikely to decode DSD/DXF etc. they're aimed solely at film sound tracks.

There is another thread on a Sonos (?) soundbar that won't accept DSD - agree with you that soundbars are unlikely to decode DSD/DXF etc. they're aimed solely at film sound tracks.
Hi - thanks for the reply. The soundbar can decode DSD but only through USB and network inputs. I’m wondering whether an adapter/converter could get me LPCM from the Sony UBP X800 HDMI via optical or HDMI?

What's the model number of your SACD capable player?

If you are intending to send a native dsd signal to your Sony HT-A7000 soundbar (via HDMI), I doubt it can decode such signals!
Hi - it’s a UBP-X800. I’m up against HDCP copy protection and can’t even output LPCM to the soundbar. The best I’ve managed is a connection via Bluetooth (at least that’s LDAC, although that means it’s just 2 channels).

Hi - it’s a UBP-X800. I’m up against HDCP copy protection and can’t even output LPCM to the soundbar. The best I’ve managed is a connection via Bluetooth (at least that’s LDAC, although that means it’s just 2 channels).
Is your Sony UBP-X800 player directly connected to your Sony HT-A7000 soundbar via HDMI? If so, you should not be seeing any HDCP issues!

Hi - thanks for the reply. The soundbar can decode DSD but only through USB and network inputs. I’m wondering whether an adapter/converter could get me LPCM from the Sony UBP X800 HDMI via optical or HDMI?
I have a UBP X800 MkII (along with Oppo 203/103 & a Yamaha!) connected via a Denon Amp to a Sony Bravia KD55AF8BU OLED. Just set the DSD Output Mode to Off on the X800
1703009053061.png
1703009065832.png

I will say I think that the X800 has possibly the worst User Interface/Display Mode I have ever come across, I find it frustrating to use compared to the Oppo's or Yamaha!

Is your Sony UBP-X800 player directly connected to your Sony HT-A7000 soundbar via HDMI? If so, you should not be seeing any HDCP issues!
I agree with SeeMoreDigital it seems very odd you're getting HDCP issues

I have both a Sony 6700 and X700 multichannel SACD players, I also set them to create a Dolby Surround downmix of the SACD/DSD multichannel content - that setting could be useful if you want to hear the multichannel mix in stereo on a soundbar.

Kirk Bayne

When I moved in with my other half she had a Sony soundbar that wouldn’t play sacd’s or dvd audio discs (my Sony 800M2 played them but nothing came out the soundbar), after chatting online with Sony they said it’s a copyright thing that wont allow them to be played, I thought that was weird as Sony are/were one of the owners of sacd. Needless to say it was sold pretty quickly so I could get my avr on the go

Slightly oOdd that you can’t any hear music playback from a SACD on your Sony 800M2 as it is a similar player to mine (Sony UBP 1100ES) and I can hear music from my Sony HT-A9 ‘soundbar’ playing a DSD only SACD via hdmi. There is a relatively significant amount of hiss however and the sound quality is not great.

Slightly oOdd that you can’t any hear music playback from a SACD on your Sony 800M2 as it is a similar player to mine (Sony UBP 1100ES) and I can hear music from my Sony HT-A9 ‘soundbar’ playing a DSD only SACD via hdmi. There is a relatively significant amount of hiss however and the sound quality is not great.
Out of curiosity I went and looked at the Specs for the Sony A9 & A7000 Soundbars, and both state
1703169345126.png

So I suspect your player is set for DSD conversion to PCM over HDMI

Hi - many thanks to everyone who’s replied. I should have clarified that over the past few months I’ve tried connecting direct to the soundbar with the audio only HDMI from the UBP-X800, as well as via eARC from the combined video and audio HDMI to the Bravia TV. I’ve also tried every menu option on the UBP-X800 (DSD off, LPCM etc etc) as well as the TV and soundbar, including eARC off and on, and all possible combinations. The soundbar manual is clear that it can’t accept DSD over HDMI. It can accept DSD via USB from a USB thumb drive. Also the UBP-X800 manual is clear that SACD cannot be played via HDMI to a non-compatible device for HDCP copy protection reasons. That specifically include DSD as well as LPCM. My SACD collection is almost all multi-channel SACD only and therefore no hybrid CD layer available. I’m actually looking for help on whether it’s possible to use some kind of HDMI adapter/switch between the player and the soundbar to allow HDCP protection playback.

Hi - many thanks to everyone who’s replied. I should have clarified that over the past few months I’ve tried connecting direct to the soundbar with the audio only HDMI from the UBP-X800, as well as via eARC from the combined video and audio HDMI to the Bravia TV. I’ve also tried every menu option on the UBP-X800 (DSD off, LPCM etc etc) as well as the TV and soundbar, including eARC off and on, and all possible combinations. The soundbar manual is clear that it can’t accept DSD over HDMI. It can accept DSD via USB from a USB thumb drive. Also the UBP-X800 manual is clear that SACD cannot be played via HDMI to a non-compatible device for HDCP copy protection reasons. That specifically include DSD as well as LPCM. My SACD collection is almost all multi-channel SACD only and therefore no hybrid CD layer available. I’m actually looking for help on whether it’s possible to use some kind of HDMI adapter/switch between the player and the soundbar to allow HDCP protection playback.
Sorry to say the quick answer is no, when I spoke to Sony support he told me nothing could be done to overcome the copy protection.
Would it be possible for you to go back using your avr with small speakers and running the cables along skirting boards or behind furniture etc?
I had to buy small speakers and replace virtually all of my setup to please my better half for the same reasons you stated, the speakers are much less intrusive and the cables are along the skirting board and under the carpet for most of the way

I still don't understand why a surround AVR can support LPCM surround while a "surround" soundbar can't. If the player is set to output LPCM only (rather than bitstream) for all sources, do any play on the soundbar, or are they all silent?

Back