Modern player for DTS CDs, DVD-A, and SACD 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been out of the quad game for a while but recently started considering getting a new streaming player. I'd love something affordable that can stream BDAudio, DVD-audio, and SACD over my home network. The Nvidia unfortunately can't do it.. I started looking into the UBP-X800M2 but some of the amazon reviews are claiming it only does stereo DSD over DLNA, not surround. Any thoughts?
can anyone speak to the home streaming abilities of this player? or any similarly priced players?

can anyone speak to the home streaming abilities of this player? or any similarly priced players?
The UDP X800MkII will stream from a NAS Drive in surround, although I'm not impressed by its poor on-screen display (not a lot of info, doesn't show the embedded album cover), the Oppo 203 is better, but it works for Ā£299!

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...io-Sound/70s/Studio-Sound-1979-07.pdf#page=42
pdf page 46: "..estimated laser life is 2,000 hours...

What is this Surround Sound (mentioned on pdf page 44)?

Kirk Bayne
That's from 1979(?). I doubt today's lasers are of the same manufacturing process or quality as the earliest models, these are refined items over time and find a sweet spot of durability/price per unit. Again, my anecdotal experience is that something else fails long before the laser in a player. Is there any newer than 45 year old information on the topic?

[you also linked to the wrong page, it's page 46 in the PDF, page 54 in the actual document https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...io-Sound/70s/Studio-Sound-1979-07.pdf#page=46 ]

Last edited:
That may mean ripped SACD isos blown back onto DVD-R blanks, also known as SACD-R. Even Oppos are picky about those, because the Blu Ray forum forced them to be.
Oh. I thought it might be that. Not something I see any need for. Once I have the file, I play the file (and keep multiple backups).

Had anyone seen the Eversolo streamer DMP-A6? I have it and it has HDMI audio out. It plays all my SACD.iso flawlessly and passes full DSD to the AVR. Itā€™s my go to for surround music

I have 1 Oppo and a Samsung that will play SACD-R's with free firmware hacks, and 1 Oppo that will natively play SACD-R (BDP-80). It's more of a curiosity thing these days for me. I have authored a few SACD's from captured CD-4 a few years back just for grins.

The newest player I own is a BDP-103. As long as the group out in Cali keep repairing them I'm good with it. I play everything on the pc anyway, except when I author DVDA discs, then I preview on the 103 to make sure all is good. Really about all I use a disc player for these days, except SACD ripping, and that is seldom.

I no longer even have a 4K TV in my audio room, I replaced it with a newer 2K smart tv I picked up on sale. My monitor is 4K though. Works for me. The Wife gets the "big ass tv" in the living room (yes that's what shows on the network, lol), also works for she and I.

When I read these threads, having missed the demise of Oppo US for some unexplained reason, I at first panic and want to rush out and buy a new player. But eventually the urge subsides. As long as PowerDVD and VLC play everything bitstreamed, I'm happy.
I have thought about JRiver, but don't know much about it's capabilities.

Can the Sony UBP-X800M2 be made DVD and Blu Ray multi region ie are their mods for it?

Can it play FLACs (stereo, quad, multi channel) gaplessly from USB?

Can the Sony UBP-X800M2 be made DVD and Blu Ray multi region ie are their mods for it?

Can it play FLACs (stereo, quad, multi channel) gaplessly from USB?
Iā€™m not aware of any mods for region free although there are region free models for sale on amazonā€¦..for an extra Ā£100, which will nullify any sony guarantee!

Since my TV is HDR 10+ I'd like to fine a UHD 4K player that does 10+ along with DVD-A and SACD and DTS CDs. Good luck to me with that so far.

Back