OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three Oppo players, including a very old one that still does duty as a region-free DVD player on occasion. They have always outperformed their better-looking, more expensive, and heftier competitors (e.g., top of line Denon) in responding more quickly and avoiding quirks with specific disks.

Not sure if I will buy a 203 or 205 for "insurance". More likely to hold my breath and hope the players keep spinning when I call on them, same as with my old Pioneer Laser Disc player, Sony ES Cassette and MiniDisc players, JVC D-VHS...

Legacy! The list lengthens!

There's a lot of patent license fees to pay for blu-ray, 4k, various audio codecs, and now various HDR codecs. Heck, even the basic DVD patents are only expiring in the next year or two. I'm guessing players like Sony are able to finesse such licenses better than even a good sized company like Oppo can.

But Sony would never even consider adding features like ISO playback. Oppo was forced to delete that because (or so my dim memory says) they were threatened with some kind of Blu-ray de-certification or similar action. I don't think there was ever an issue with license fees and Oppo clearly always operated entirely above-board. I'm just thinking that if they no longer want to sell new players, then theoretically they could do whatever they wanted with the firmware for existing ones.

But Sony would never even consider adding features like ISO playback. Oppo was forced to delete that because (or so my dim memory says) they were threatened with some kind of Blu-ray de-certification or similar action. I don't think there was ever an issue with license fees and Oppo clearly always operated entirely above-board. I'm just thinking that if they no longer want to sell new players, then theoretically they could do whatever they wanted with the firmware for existing ones.

I only wish OPPO was authorized to sell Region Free Players. They won't even service them. Unfortunately, I'm a 3D buff and a lot of 3D BD~Vs are only available overseas [Region B] where 3D is still relatively alive and well.

I only wish OPPO was authorized to sell Region Free Players. They won't even service them. Unfortunately, I'm a 3D buff and a lot of 3D BD~Vs are only available overseas [Region B] where 3D is still relatively alive and well.

Yeah, region encoding drives me nuts. Being in NZ, I'm in the opposite boat where I see a lot of Region A-locked Criterion Collection BD's released that I can't play on my Sony. I've found that these sometimes get Region B/Free releases later though via another company (e.g., Twilight Time, Indicator, Arrow, Eureka).

Hopefully with Oppo's exit, someone else will fill this gap. Yamaha are probably selling enough bikes to cover it and Sony seem to me to be a prime candidate to produce a high end player cheaper than anyone else. They already own a bunch of the patents/licences, so there's an outlay that they wouldn't have to make right off the bat.

I decided around the Holidays that I was going to keep the few players I have and convert to movie streaming off iTunes and Vudu. I’ll continue to use the player for the remaining blu-ray concerts, 3D movies, my surround discs and CD’s. I’m done streaming music and will use the files off my remaining hard drives but won’t add anymore.

Personally, I think OPPO will continue to service players until their warranties expire. Then, I’m sure there will be a company that will offer to service them.

I unlocked my 103 with a $50 device found on ebay. Supposedly built by an ex-OPPO engineer. I figure if my unit has problems I just remove the device before arranging service.

I had been looking to upgrade within the next year but this news of them closing up shop kinda forced my hand so I ordered the 203 last night.i didn't want to wait and run the chance of not having an Oppo. This will be my 3rd. Just great equipment.

Ouch ! It looks like I will be babying my BDP-80 with only SA-CD and DVD-A's from now on.

I will use the PS3 for movies and CD's.

An OPPO 203 rings in at just over $800 CAD at Solutions AV up here.

I can't imagine reverting to my old Pioneer 588A if the 80 poops out.

When you rip your SACDs, you can save the DSD files as .ISO files and play them on a DAC or Digital Player.
ISOs live on.

Oppo Digital's parent company has been making cell phones for years and is by far their main line of business.
Really nice phones. Just like their players but totally separate except for the manufacturing.

Since I have learned that X800 id capable of multichannel through USB, is it likely that the UHP H1 is capable of this as well?

If only someone who owned one of these players hadn't been shot down in flames by people here the last time they offered details on what the UHP H1 does or doesn't do, then you'd be getting this information either confirmed or denied.

Back