SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, proud to say a giant success in ripping stereo SACD, to dff file, plays as DSD64 on my DAC, wow, can’t believe it. Wasn’t easy, but done.
The tagging is a problem however. They all come out named in my download folder, I put the files in my NAS, l import into JRiver, and the 3 discs I ripped all end up in unassigned. I know I can tag one track at a time but there has got to be an easier way. I added to Foobar2000,put file in tagging, get tags from freedb, looks perfect on screen shot, but does not change it? I must be missing a step

Looks like .dff does not support tagging; the original tags must come from the SACD wrapper, so they are used during the ripping process, but not retained in the .dff file? (Someone correct me if this is wrong.) Anyway, it looks like you can convert .dff to .dsf, which does support tags, but it needs to be done correctly in order to avoid an inadvertent PCM conversion during the process, if that's important to you (looks like it is).

Here's some info on this, scroll down to the latter part of the article.

IMHO, the optimum way to convert from ISO to DSF without EOF errors and retain metadata is to use:
ISO2DSF by Bogi - read album tracks from SACD ISO file and to convert them to DSF files.
- how to: ISOtoDSFv122.pdf extracted from the downloaded file
- additional necessary files:
sacd_extract.exe - extracted from SACD Extract
dff2dsf.exe - extracted from DFF2DSF

This will
1. extract and store the metadata
2. extract the files as DFF
3. convert the DFF to DSF and reassociate the metadata.

(additional options for various conversions are here: http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/audio-file-manipulation-tools-t4754.html)

Thank you Jim and Kal, I will certainly read and study both your suggestions as they look fairly easy. In fact the tagging of these rips is not half as frightening as the ability to actually rip a stereo SACD, which I have overcome, which is the good news.
I plan on starting with my MOFI collection, then on and on down the line. Ripping all my stereo SACD's is first and then I will tackle, MCH discs.
A question I thought of when comes to tagging, track selection, artwork, etc, does any brand rip with better tags than others, would Audio Fidelity show up better than MOFI for example? Or is it just the DFF file is not as good as the DSF file? and why is that?
Simon another thanks to you as your help was great, and you to Homer.

A question I thought of when comes to tagging, track selection, artwork, etc, does any brand rip with better tags than others, would Audio Fidelity show up better than MOFI for example? Or is it just the DFF file is not as good as the DSF file? and why is that?
There is no standard way to attach metadata to DFF files while DSF files permit metadata attachment. That is all there is to it.

I timed my experience: OPPO105 and Sonore ISO for ripping SACD stereo, average rip time is 15 mins. I have a designated folder that the rips go into, copy over to Synology NAS harddrive takes about 5 mins, Use JRiver to import from NAS takes about 3 mins, tag entire file using JRiver tag takes about 4 mins. Done 100% as a dff file.
So this way maybe not the best for now but as you can see I can load and fix one album in less time (3 mins) than the album takes to rip. Not bad for a buck naked beginner. Was wondering if I am in the ballpark with you more experienced users, lets just say my experience, start to finish is approx 15mins per disc. This will take awhile.

I usually only rip/listen to the multichannel tracks.
Good to know but I love stereo and MCH. Much of the music I listen to does not have a mch release. Don't get me wrong I love mch also and have a super rig to enjoy both. This new venture I am now doing, stereo SACD first and then my mch's next will surely take a long time as I don't work from home. But it is so nice to be listening in DSD64 to 1000's of discs that sit on the shelf because it is easier to listen to all my DSD and FLAC purchases. It sure will be fantastic when I add another 1000 mch discs to my JRiver library.

IMHO, the optimum way to convert from ISO to DSF without EOF errors and retain metadata is to use:
ISO2DSF by Bogi - read album tracks from SACD ISO file and to convert them to DSF files.
- how to: ISOtoDSFv122.pdf extracted from the downloaded file
- additional necessary files:
sacd_extract.exe - extracted from SACD Extract
dff2dsf.exe - extracted from DFF2DSF

This will
1. extract and store the metadata
2. extract the files as DFF
3. convert the DFF to DSF and reassociate the metadata.

(additional options for various conversions are here: http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/audio-file-manipulation-tools-t4754.html)
Kal, or others, the above Bogi link is no longer active. Any other suggestions to convert DFF toDSF?

Kal, or others, the above Bogi link is no longer active. Any other suggestions to convert DFF toDSF?
From the horse's mouth (sorry, Bogi):
New version ISO2DSF v1.2.2 contains the following changes:
  • Added support for language specific characters in metadata. ID3v2 tags are now coded in Unicode.
  • Improved readability of created album folder name and DSF track file names, if they contain language specific characters.
  • Improved displaying language specific characters in the Command Prompt window.
  • Only standard ASCII characters are now allowed in the path to iso2dsf.exe and the path to ISO file. This handling was added, because sacd_extract doesn't support non-ascii characters in ISO path.
Download: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1IZPbDClIn6dW9nNVNiRjNNT1k

Stream to HQPlayer Desktop from foobar2000
SendToHQP v1.04 - Manage HQPlayer playlist from Foobar2000
ISO2DSF v1.2.2 - SACD ISO to DFF to DSF via context menu
DFF2DSF v1.1.0 - context menu interface to dff2dsf from Miska (Signalyst)

Kal, your new directions where perfect and I can't tell you how pleased I am that it all works so well, Ripping SACD, to my choice DSD64, using the ISO to DFF to DSF is fantastic. The DFF to DSF tagging is fantastic, any minor little tweaks that our needed the JRiver tag fixes it in a second.
This project that I have been afraid of doing for so long came out better than I thought, with the help of my computer savvy friend.
One last question: I know this is personal choice but I have many discs that I also purchased in FLAC 24/96 or 24/192 do you or others think it is worth it to replace them with a DSF DSD64?
I tried to find the DR data base but seems like it has changed. I know that sometimes the DR can be better or worse even in above CD quality.

One last question: I know this is personal choice but I have many discs that I also purchased in FLAC 24/96 or 24/192 do you or others think it is worth it to replace them with a DSF DSD64?

Best bet is to create a DSD 64 DSF of each disc and compare the versions.
Then you can decide on a case by case basis. As well as have a nice evening of music listening... :)

Best bet is to create a DSD 64 DSF of each disc and compare the versions.
Then you can decide on a case by case basis. As well as have a nice evening of music listening... :)
That is a hard one Brian, would take some time, but I understand there is the sound quality difference and the MOFI rip at DSD64 vs a HDTracks purchased download at 24/192. I was always pleased with my FLAC purchases. Maybe some day I'll have hours to play both versions, ugh. I'm probably not a very good audiophile person.

Kal, your new directions where perfect and I can't tell you how pleased I am that it all works so well, Ripping SACD, to my choice DSD64, using the ISO to DFF to DSF is fantastic. The DFF to DSF tagging is fantastic, any minor little tweaks that our needed the JRiver tag fixes it in a second.
Great. Consider me an addict!

Depends. If they were DSD originals, possibly. If they were originally PCM and processed post hoc for DSD, probably not. In any case, try a few and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Great. Consider me an addict!

Depends. If they were DSD originals, possibly. If they were originally PCM and processed post hoc for DSD, probably not. In any case, try a few and decide for yourself.
I noticed I can "Analyze Audio" in JRiver which lets me see the DR value, I think I'll rip one to compare, look at the audio spec sheet, listen, and see if I can hear the difference, keeping in mind to throw out the placebo effect if I can.

I noticed I can "Analyze Audio" in JRiver which lets me see the DR value, I think I'll rip one to compare, look at the audio spec sheet, listen, and see if I can hear the difference, keeping in mind to throw out the placebo effect if I can.
Listen and compare first, blind, if you can. Then crunch the numbers.

Back