SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across a few discs that are 24/96 DAD. Do these rip with the OPPO under the SACD protocol or as simple FLAC CD rips?
I also came across some SACD 3 channel, would these be considered a MCH rip?

On the 3-Channel SACDs, yes to get the 3-Channel DSD you would do a MCH rip.
And a Stereo rip for the 2-Channel DSD.

DAD discs are discs are not SACDs but optical DVD discs with PCM audio.
DAD discs can be a bit confusing since they were sometimes referred to in the marketplace as "DVD Audio" (i.e. PCM audio on a DVD) before the more familiar DVD-Audio format reached the market.

After ripping hundreds of SACDs with no problems with my OPPO BDP-105, all of a sudden I cannot get the sacd.cmd file to work properly. The file opens and the cursor blinks for a while and then the cmd screen disappears. I have checked connections, etc. and did a connection test and all that seems to be working. The USB stick with the appropriate files on it is operating correctly. The only other thing I can think of is that the 105 had be unplugged for a while but I seem to remember doing that before with no problem.

I tried ripping several SACDs that I had previously ripped successfully and they will not rip either. I also tried a Restart of my Windows 10 desktop with no success.

Any suggestions?

Jim

Last edited:
After ripping hundreds of SACDs with no problems with my OPPO BDP-105, all of a sudden I cannot get the sacd.cmd file to work properly. The file opens and the cursor blinks for a while and then the cmd screen disappears. I have checked connections, etc. and did a connection test and all that seems to be working. The USB stick with the appropriate files on it is operating correctly. The only other thing I can think of is that the 105 had be unplugged for a while but I seem to remember doing that before with no problem.

I tried ripping several SACDs that I had previously ripped successfully and they will not rip either. I also tried a Restart of my Windows 10 desktop with no success.

Any suggestions?

Jim

The IP address may have changed when it was unplugged. Did you check it?

And once you've determined this, I highly recommend assigning a static IP address to (or "reserving" a dynamically assigned IP address for) your 105. This is usually best accomplished using your router's control software.

The IP address may have changed when it was unplugged. Did you check it?

Thanks guys.

To my surprise, delight and amazement, I was able to solve this on my own and the solution was essentially what you had suggested. I don't think that it was caused by unplugging it but rather by some kind of network refresh that seemed to do the same thing in response to another problem (a very good thing in that case). That "refresh:" probably affected the 105 as well and as I hadn't ripped and SACD for a while I was unaware of the problem until last night.

Again, thank you for your efforts. I appreciate the time that you took to reply and I will try to implement the static IP address when I get some time.

Jim

Well, it took me a month to rip a total of (1.5TB 62.7 days) of SACD stereo music. Now I have two questions.
1. Do I rip SACD MCH still using the same setup but switching the SONORE to Multi instead of Dual?
2. Assuming that is correct what setting do I change in the JRiver?
For the goal of playing MCH from the JRiver.

1. Yes. Switch to "File Input" and select "Multi."
2. For me, nothing but I do not know what your setup is. What are you outputting to from JRiver and how? Do you want DSD or PCM output?

Thanks Kal,
JRiver settings, Audio-Settings-DSP & Output Format, Channels,= I have set to 2 Channels (stereo). There is a list of other choices after that, 4.0, 5.1, etc.
In the box called Output Encoding I have set to NONE.
My McIntosh D-150 external DAC is stereo only and is USB connected to my NUC. I think I can bypass the external DAC and play directly through the McIntosh MX122 for multi channel playback? Obviously I will do an experiment and see if what I assume will work but I would like to take the guessing out of the JRiver set up.

Thanks Kal,
JRiver settings, Audio-Settings-DSP & Output Format, Channels,= I have set to 2 Channels (stereo). There is a list of other choices after that, 4.0, 5.1, etc.
My McIntosh D-150 external DAC is stereo only and is USB connected to my NUC. I think I can bypass the external DAC and play directly through the McIntosh MX122 for multi channel playback? Obviously I will do an experiment and see if what I assume will work but I would like to take the guessing out of the JRiver set up.

Add another zone in jRiver. Name it Multichannel. The settings will be different for your stereo DAC and your multichannel processor. Name your default zone Stereo. Now you can load your stereo files and your multichannel files in different playlists and not ever have to change the settings back and forth!

Typically, one would set the channels to 5.1 and output encoding to none. Are you using DSD or PCM?
Add another zone in jRiver. Name it Multichannel. The settings will be different for your stereo DAC and your multichannel processor. Name your default zone Stereo. Now you can load your stereo files and your multichannel files in different playlists and not ever have to change the settings back and forth!
Excellent idea.

Great Himey, thank you. Would this be done in Tools>Options>Settings>Zone Switch?
In the top left of main front, I have player, which is the stereo ASIO enabled DAC, and because my MX122 is on the same IP address it shows under the player section.
There are lots of zone choices, in the player tab and the tools tab. So I am a bit confused even though I know your way is the way I want to go.

Great Himey, thank you. Would this be done in Tools>Options>Settings>Zone Switch?
In the top left of main front, I have player, which is the stereo ASIO enabled DAC, and because my MX122 is on the same IP address it shows under the player section.
There are lots of zone choices, in the player tab and the tools tab. So I am a bit confused even though I know your way is the way I want to go.

All your Zones are located under the Playing Now section (top left corner).

Select any Zone playlist under Playing Now. Go-to "Player" on top next to File, Edit, View, ect. Scroll down to Zone. Select Add Zone. Name it Multichannel. Select the new zone you just created. Change the playback options and DSP studio options accordingly for that zone.

Now when you load multichannel songs into the multichannel zone playlist, it will use the settings you have entered. Change zone playlist to your original default zone, name it stereo, for stereo recordings using the two channel DAC.

All your Zones are located under the Playing Now section (top left corner).

Select any Zone playlist under Playing Now. Go-to "Player" on top next to File, Edit, View, ect. Scroll down to Zone. Select Add Zone. Name it Multichannel. Select the new zone you just created. Change the playback options and DSP studio options accordingly for that zone.

Now when you load multichannel songs into the multichannel zone playlist, it will use the settings you have entered. Change zone playlist to your original default zone, name it stereo, for stereo recordings using the two channel DAC.
Awesome Himey, I should have time this weekend to give it a whirl. Thank you, very much appreciated.

Awesome Himey, I should have time this weekend to give it a whirl. Thank you, very much appreciated.

I have mentioned several times on this forum, zones are what sets appart jRiver from the competition! I am not aware of any media software that also has it or something similar. Simple and effective.

TRYING: I'll start by going backwards. SACD stereo ripped via Sonore ISO and DSF converter for all tagging done. Goes to media vault, than to JRiver, File Type DSF, Bit Rate 5644 Kbps, plays stereo, perfect, DSD64 through my external DAC.
Today I ripped my first MCH, a 5.1. This is want I would like confirmation on: Sonore set same as before.
Output Mode>Raw ISO, Cue Sheet>Checked, Print>Checked, Convert DST to DSD>Unchecked.
When ripping MCH SACD disc, I just switched from Dual to Multi.
It ripped, all fine, tagged, artwork, etc.
It goes into as all others do into the JRiver, but shows the same as the stereo, DSF, 5644Kbps, I cannot tell just by looking at the file if it is MCH or not?
I did as Himey explained above, naming the default player,"Stereo Player", that was easy.
I named a second zone and called it "Multichannel". I play the 5.1 ripped disc and it goes through the external DAC as 1764K, so that must mean it is ripped in MCH? But it only plays stereo. If I play the same file through the zone "Stereo Player" it plays at DSD64.
If I right click the album art it gives me a choice of the stereo zone or the MCH zone, which is very cool. I can rename after each album title, ie; Secret Treaties MCH, this makes it easy for me to remember what is stereo and what is MCH, in case I forget.
So, do you think I am doing everything right so far? I am not experienced enough to know if 1764K means that it is a MCH file or not?
If all the above is correct, than I have to find a way to get my receiver, (McIntosh MX122) no external DAC, to play through all the 5.1 speakers.
If I bypass the external DAC, and just open the receiver, it shows the media player NUC, in the window, but I cant get it to play, any speakers.
Baby steps for me please.

It goes into as all others do into the JRiver, but shows the same as the stereo, DSF, 5644Kbps, I cannot tell just by looking at the file if it is MCH or not?

In JRiver, a Multichannel DSD file will show a file size of 14112 while a Stereo DSD file will show a file size of 5644.

I'm using a different method.
I rip the SACDs to ISO first and then convert them to DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel using ISO2DSD. Works fine.

In JRiver, a Multichannel DSD file will show a file size of 14112 while a Stereo DSD file will show a file size of 5644.

I'm using a different method.
I rip the SACDs to ISO first and then convert them to DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel using ISO2DSD. Works fine.
So, am I not ripping the MCH disc correctly just by setting the Sonore to Multi?

Today I ripped my first MCH, a 5.1. This is want I would like confirmation on: Sonore set same as before.
Output Mode>Raw ISO, Cue Sheet>Checked, Print>Checked, Convert DST to DSD>Unchecked.
When ripping MCH SACD disc, I just switched from Dual to Multi.

1. Do you already have an ISO from that disc? If so,
Switch to File input. Click on your chosen ISO.
Output Mode>SonyDSF, Cue Sheet>UnChecked, Print>Checked, Convert DST to DSD>Checked.
When ripping MCH SACD disc, I just switched from Dual to Multi. (Yes)

2. Are you ripping directly from disc to DSF> If so,
Switch to
Output Mode>SonyDSF, Cue Sheet>UnChecked, Print>Checked, Convert DST to DSD>Checked.
When ripping MCH SACD disc, I just switched from Dual to Multi. (Yes)

Back