Best Surround Albums not listed in Polls

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fac23

I noticed quite a few of my favourite albums missing from the polls list. Some of them will probably attract too few voters to matter, but I was also interested in others' possibly missing favs, so here goes in no particular order:
  • Kraftwerk - 3D Katalog (Blu-Ray // any edition)
  • Engine-Earz Experience - Symbol (Blu-Ray)
  • Booka Shade - Galvany Street (Blu-Ray)
  • Cornelius - Five Point One (DVD-Video)
  • Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (SACD)
  • Beyoncé - Beyoncé (Blu-Ray)
  • Benjamin Biolay & Chiara Mastroianni - Home (SACD)
  • Symbion Project - Arcadian (Flac)
  • Fischerspooner - #1 (DVD-Video)
  • Orbital - The Altogether (DVD-Video)

Would it be an idea to combine all those wonderful list to 1 database?
Poll / Releaselist of Haikubass, Andersons surround discography, the surround mixers list, DVDA release list... All the releases are now scattered with a lot of valuable info accross the site, some gems hidden.
I understand the labour that everybody put in every individal list is much appreciate, and will probably be lost when combined.

This is actually pretty cool idea, although I've never gone that far myself.
For my part, the data I've collected are there for anyone to use for promoting surround sound.

Creating one major database could be beneficial in several areas, no doubt there. From my point of view, I'm ready to participate or focus my release list on upcoming titles only (and erase them once they're released and added to the megalist). Maybe I could keep just the visual collage of the titles released in each year as this feature seems to work and I can't see how the album covers could be incorporated into the database, although that could be supersweet!

Hmm, that's not quite what I expected from this thread...
Although a database for present and upcoming surround releases, incorporating the QQ reviews, ratings and additional info plus Discogs links could be nice, indeed. Steelydave's (and others') press clippings and channel reassignment/polarity detective work should be linked too. I could certainly (help) develop such a thing, but I am afraid that in the end, this might turn out to be just another list to be updated and maintained, with its own shortcomings... we already have different release lists by members here, then there's sa-cd.net and hraudio and of course Discogs. If someone's got an idea how to bring it all together and create something more useful possibly without reinventing everything, I'd be all in. :)
Can't we make a community effort to add as many releases as possible to Discogs and then use that, in combination with their list functionality to collect quite a lot of info already? Am I being too optimistic about Discogs as a lasting resource of information?

I noticed quite a few of my favourite albums missing from the polls list. Some of them will probably attract too few voters to matter, but I was also interested in others' possibly missing favs, so here goes in no particular order:

I just listened to Kraftwerk 3D in Atmos - it is amazing!!! I’m going to spin Booka soon...

Off the top of my head

Sam Cooke - At The Copa...

One of my all time faves...

I'd give the Cornelius and Miles Davis discs a 9, because they're fabulous but the content may be an acquire taste for some.

I'd give the Cornelius and Miles Davis discs a 9, because they're fabulous but the content may be an acquire taste for some.

With the exception of Biolay/Mastroianni & Fischerspooner, neither of which I have heard, these are all exceptional, reference style surround mixes. While stylistically, some of these maybe on the outskirts of the typical fare touted around this forum, they are for the most part, musically accessible and worthy of more attention.

The Allman Brothers Band ‎–
At Fillmore East: The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings

Label:
Mercury ‎– 0602537736973, Universal Music Group International ‎– 0602537736973
Format:
3 × Blu-ray, Blu-ray Audio, Stereo, Multichannel
"Newly remixed from the original multi-tracks in 96KHz / 24-Bit high resolution 5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo"
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 - Dolby TrueHD 5.1 - Dolby TrueHD Stereo
Released:
28 Jul 2014
Notes
Tracks 1-1 to 1-7, 1-9, 1-11, 1-13, 2-4, 2-7 to 2-9 & 3-1 (Introduction only): Previously unreleased.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-...1971-Fillmore-East-Recordings/release/6054647

R-6054647-1409913647-2440.jpeg.jpg

Two ambisonic UHJ LPs worth a listen are Skirlie Beat - The Easy Club (1987 REL Records Ltd) and Adrian Legg - Lost for Words (1986 Making Waves Ltd). Wonderfully atmospheric and natural sounding.

On the discography point, there is probably no need to reinvent the wheel, instead go to www.surrounddiscography.com the Quad section of which was last updated on 29th Nov 17, the ambisonic on 25th Feb 14.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this one.
Picked it up from Discogs for under $40 shipped.

What a stunning prequel to the quad Bitches Brew.
Seems to be in 5.0.
Ye gods, how did this fall through the cracks?

R-12170190-1529703374-7155.jpeg.jpg

R-12170190-1529703373-9119.jpeg.jpg

Along with the Corea Rendezvous in New York double MC SACD live showcase offered here on our trade thread?

I deluded myself that the Surround Poll Index was a comprehensive list of what's been released in Surround.
A smattering of outliers fell through the cracks, or are these the tip of the iceberg?

I'll be watching this thread with interest. :coffee:

R-2524099-1304919027.jpeg.jpg

R-2524099-1304919056.jpeg.jpg

On the discography point, there is probably no need to reinvent the wheel, instead go to www.surrounddiscography.com the Quad section of which was last updated on 29th Nov 17, the ambisonic on 25th Feb 14.

Neither of the examples I list above are there, the SACD section was last updated in 2009? o_O
So major updating wants doing there, or here, or ?

I'm listening to Symbol rite now. It may take me out of my musical safe ground but it really is an astonishing work of surround heaven.
If there was a poll for it I would give it 11 or more...I can truly recommend this to one and all. There is so much going on, it is near impossible to describe every detail, that is spine tingling me.

Last edited:
I'm listening to Symbol rite now. It may take me out of my musical safe ground but it really is an astonishing work of surround heaven.
If there was a poll for it I would give it 11 or more...I can truly recommend this to one and all. There is so much going on, it is near impossible to describe every detail, that is spine tingling me.

Band, album or instrument?! :phones

Guessing it’s kinda out there? Not come across it but sounds good!

Can you supply an order link, beerking?

Back