What are your top ten (10) multi-channel music discs of all time?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The burnout question is an interesting one. I’ve rarely reached burnout for any artist and/or their catalog, but I literally never listen to the radio.

The only time I’ve ever used the tuner section of any of my AVRs was a brief period in the mid 80s when I lived in San Antonio and could pick up Austin’s KUT-FM’s great Monday night blues show. I never use my car’s audio system’s radio except when I lack a CD or my iPod - and then only for Sports Radio. Since my late teens, I’ve always played my choice of music while driving - first cassettes, then CDs, and now digital media - as I never liked hearing songs repeated ad nauseum, DJs, or commercial interruptions.

Radio and their asinine playlists could induce anyone to a burnout state. So I can understand getting burned out on a Money by PF or Stairway to Heaven by LZ or plenty of others if you listen or listened to radio to any significant degree.

Like others, I did my best to weigh the quality of the surround mix against the "how much do I really listen to this?" factor. Ask me again tomorrow and this list will probably change...

1. Beck - Sea Change
2. Deep Purple - Machine Head (U.K. SACD)
3. The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
4. Roxy Music - Avalon
5. Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
6. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue
7. America - Homecoming
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend
9. Rush - A Farewell To Kings (40th Blu-Ray)
10. XTC - Skylarking

Honorable Mentions:
Crowded House - Crowded House
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me (DVD-A)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit
Doors - Best Of The Doors
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
Mando Diao - Aelita
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
All excellent choices! In particular, Toy Matinee is very underrated. Also, I am not a reggae fan, however Bob Marley Legend is superb in both sound quality and content.

Wow didn't realize how hard it would be to come up with only a top 10. Left great SS discs by Jackson Browne, Bob Marley, Richard Thompson and The Grateful Dead off both lists.

My top 10 SS discs:
1. Aqualung - Jethro Tull- Blu-Ray
2. Live -Alison Kraus + Union Station - SACD
3. DSOTM Immersion - Pink Floyd - Blu-Ray
4, New Favorite - Alison Kraus + Union Station - SACD
5. Stupid Dream - Porcupine Tree - DVD Audio
6. Abbey Road - The Beatles - Blu-Ray
7. Singles 1969-1981 - Carpenters - DVD Audio
8. Quadrophenia - The Who - Blu-Ray
9. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac - DVD-Audio
10. Hotel California - Eagles - DVD-Audio

Honorable Mention:
Machine Head - Deep Purple - SACD
What's New - Linda Ronstadt- DVD-Audio
Gaucho - Steely Dan - SACD
Lightbulb Sun - Porcupine Tree - DVD Audio
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits - SACD
Love - The Beatles - DVD Audio
The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues - JS Bach/E. Power Biggs - SACD
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John - DVD Audio
Black Album - Metallica - DVD Audio
Black and White Night - Roy Orbison - SACD

I've been collecting since before DVD-Audio came out 20 years ago so:
10: The Doors: Morrison Hotel (DVD-Audio, DTS & Dolby 5.1)
9. Steve Miller: Fly Like an Eagle ( CD/DVD, Dolby 5.1)
8. Queen: Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (DVD, DTS 5.1)
7. Eagles: Hotel California (DVD-Audio, DTS 5.1)
6. Pink Floyd : Dark Side of the Moon (Blu-ray, 2003 5.1, but 1973 4.0 is my choice)
4. Grover Washington Jr.: Winelight (DVD-Audio, DTS & Dolby 5.1)
3.Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow (SACD, 2001, 5.1)
2. Bob Marley: Legend 30th Anniversary (Blu-ray, DTS 5.1)
1. Elton John: Madman Across the Water (SACD, 5.1)

This was so fun that I essentially sampled my collection of over 70 albums last night. Very challenging to only pick 10 since there are a lot of great ones. I specifically only chose the discrete mixes not the glorified stereo with effects mixes if you know what I mean. I like those too but thought that I would do that just for this thread. I had to change this with Billy Joel moving out and the Eagles taking it easy back in the top 10. The Stranger is an amazing mix that I moved simply because I listened to it again and it is more of a stereo mix with effects than discrete.

Honorable mentions that were in it and got kicked out during the marathon:
Billy Joel: The Stranger (SACD, 1998 5.1)

Chicago: IX Greatest Hits (Blu-ray, 4.0)
Yes: Close to the Edge (Blu-ray, 5.1)
Steely Dan: Gaucho (DVD-Audio, 5.1)
Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (DVD-Audio, 5.1)
Vince Guaraldi Trio: Charlie Brown Christmas (DVD-Audio, 3 different 5.1 mixes, Front Row, Jazz Hall & Concert Hall on stage)
The Who: "Who are You", Single Studio Mix (The Kids are Alright, DVD, 5.1 Easter Egg)

Last edited:
These are the titles I always come back to for repeated listening.

10. Yes Fragile (blu-Ray)
9. Tears For Tears - Songs From The Big Chair
8. The Who - Quadrophenia (blu-Ray)
7. Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
6. Richard Thompson - Rumor And Sigh
5. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (DVD-A)
4. America - Homecoming (DVD-A)
3. Roxy Music - Avalon
2. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (blu-Ray)
1. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (quad mix blu-Ray)

And one for good measure,
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight

Winelight is quite a good measure...superb :rocks

Some great lists here...most of my favorites are covered...kinda surprised that Elton is not getting more love...Captain Fantastic..is indeed fantastic...although the Best of the Doors is perhaps the cream of the crop...L.A. Woman...Strange Days...Waiting for the Sun....and Soft Parade are noteworthy...and I would have like to see some Tom Petty...Anthology is just awesome...62 songs on one disc...maybe because it was "trapped" in a set...not as many people bought it...but guys like Jon Urban remember when it was a "Best Buy" exclusive...they didn't sell many and later they were on sale at a cheap price...and Tom also has Damn The Torpedos...Hypnotic Eye....and MOJO...

No Moondance.(Van the Man Morrison)...or DIG(Boz Scaggs).....or James Taylor(Hourglass and JT)...at least Billy Joel got the Stranger..but 52nd Street is pretty good as well...and I noticed one of my favorites was absent...Seal Best 1991-2004...and what about THE BAND....Music from Big Pink...the killer movie The Waltz...and the self titled THE BAND...IDLEWILD SOUTH-ALLMAN BROTHERS...and a little love for TUSK(The Mac)...

That's why I couldn't make a list of 10...I couldn't even make a list of 10 artists(with multiple albums)...there are so many...what sjorne mentioned is true...ask someone tomorrow and the list would be different...on his list I noticed a shared experience....I used to consider Nightfly as the best from Donald Fagen...but the more I played Kamakiriad...the more I liked it better....and ar surrround listed "can't buy a thrill"...which is an awesome album...

10. Jethro Tull Aqualung Steven Wilson remix DVD
09. The Who Tommy SACD
08. Allman Brothers Fillmore East Blu-ray
07. Allison Krauss and Union Station Live SACD
06. Jackson Browne Running on Empty DVD-A
05. Fleetwood Mac Rumours SACD
04. Derek and the Dominoes Layla DVD from 40th box set
03. The Eagles Hotel California SACD
02. Mary Chapin Carpenter Time*Sex*Love SACD
01. Billy Joel The Stranger SACD

The Elton John MCs of Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water and Captain Fantastic are probably tied with Aqualung for the #10 slot along with LA Woman. All great surround mixes. And a homebrew Late for the Sky 5.1 based off the quad LP is also a favorite.

The discs I chose are extremly well mixed in surround (5.1, Atmos or Quad) AND I love the music:

Chicago - VII
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
Kraftwerk - 3D (this is Atmos!)
Steely Dan - Gaucho (my favorite)
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
XTC - Drums & Wires
Roxy Music - Avalon
Beatles - Abbey Road
King Crimson - Discipline

No entry of any Genesis dics and they are my heroes in music, but the surround mixes have not the quality as the listed ones. :)

09. The Who Tommy SACD

The Elton John MCs of Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water and Captain Fantastic are probably tied with Aqualung for the #10 slot along with LA Woman. All great surround mixes. And a homebrew Late for the Sky 5.1 based off the quad LP is also a favorite.
Hello @hobbes4444
Very nice 1st post.
Welcome to the QQ forum !

09. The Who Tommy SACD

Let me echo my Beefy friend...great first post :hi

Some great lists here...most of my favorites are covered...kinda surprised that Elton is not getting more love...Captain Fantastic..is indeed fantastic...although the Best of the Doors is perhaps the cream of the crop...L.A. Woman...Strange Days...Waiting for the Sun....and Soft Parade are noteworthy...and I would have like to see some Tom Petty...Anthology is just awesome...62 songs on one disc...maybe because it was "trapped" in a set...not as many people bought it...but guys like Jon Urban remember when it was a "Best Buy" exclusive...they didn't sell many and later they were on sale at a cheap price...and Tom also has Damn The Torpedos...Hypnotic Eye....and MOJO...

No Moondance.(Van the Man Morrison)...or DIG(Boz Scaggs).....or James Taylor(Hourglass and JT)...at least Billy Joel got the Stranger..but 52nd Street is pretty good as well...and I noticed one of my favorites was absent...Seal Best 1991-2004...and what about THE BAND....Music from Big Pink...the killer movie The Waltz...and the self titled THE BAND...IDLEWILD SOUTH-ALLMAN BROTHERS...and a little love for TUSK(The Mac)...

That's why I couldn't make a list of 10...I couldn't even make a list of 10 artists(with multiple albums)...there are so many...what sjorne mentioned is true...ask someone tomorrow and the list would be different...on his list I noticed a shared experience....I used to consider Nightfly as the best from Donald Fagen...but the more I played Kamakiriad...the more I liked it better....and ar surrround listed "can't buy a thrill"...which is an awesome album...
Clint - good points on some of the omissions. Very surprising to me is how few mentions Steven Wilson and/or Porcupine Tree have gotten. At least personally, Grace For Drowning, The Raven, Hand.Cannot.Erase, and To The Bone all feature fantastic demo-worthy mixes. As do In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, and Fear Of a Blank Planet.

Clint - good points on some of the omissions. Very surprising to me is how few mentions Steven Wilson and/or Porcupine Tree have gotten. At least personally, Grace For Drowning, The Raven, Hand.Cannot.Erase, and To The Bone all feature fantastic demo-worthy mixes. As do In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, and Fear Of a Blank Planet.

Steven Wilson is an awesome mixer...but for ME....I'm just not into his own material...just a content "thing" for me..

Steven Wilson is an awesome mixer...but for ME....I'm just not into his own material...just a content "thing" for me..
I can dig what you’re saying, but there are a lot of discs that I have collected for the mixes alone as in many cases, I’m not exactly in love with the artist or style of music.

I can dig what you’re saying, but there are a lot of discs that I have collected for the mixes alone as in many cases, I’m not exactly in love with the artist or style of music.

I used to do that when I first started in the hobby....when I wanted to "show off" my system...but after a while they just collected dust and I didn't have to prove anything anymore to my friends...I have bought some of his titles....but just didn't like the content...

10. Tom Cochrane: Trapeze dvd-a
09. Elton John: Captain Fantastic sacd
08. RPWL: World through my eyes sacd
07. The Main Ingredient: Euphrates River sacd
06. Depeche Mode: Violator sacd
05. The Band: The Band blu-ray
04. Emmylou Harris: Producer's Cut dvd-a
03. Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac dvd-v
02. Toy Matinee: Toy Matinee dvd-a
01. Jethro Tull: Aqualung blu-ray

I used to do that when I first started in the hobby....when I wanted to "show off" my system...but after a while they just collected dust and I didn't have to prove anything anymore to my friends...I have bought some of his titles....but just didn't like the content...
I know that like you, a lot of folks got off the Steven Wilson wagon following PT, but I absolutely love all of his solo releases, artistically as well as sonically.

These are the titles I always come back to for repeated listening.

10. Yes Fragile (blu-Ray)
9. Tears For Tears - Songs From The Big Chair
8. The Who - Quadrophenia (blu-Ray)
7. Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
6. Richard Thompson - Rumor And Sigh
5. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (DVD-A)
4. America - Homecoming (DVD-A)
3. Roxy Music - Avalon
2. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (blu-Ray)
1. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (quad mix blu-Ray)

And one for good measure,
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight
Interesting to me is the inclusion of Donald Fagen-The Nightfly, that will be in my top 10 but none of the others even ring a bell for me. Winelight is a good honorable mention. I did at one time possess 7 of the other nine, currently have only 2 of them. Interesting!!!

Interesting to me is the inclusion of Donald Fagen-The Nightfly, that will be in my top 10 but none of the others even ring a bell for me. Winelight is a good honorable mention. I did at one time possess 7 of the other nine, currently have only 2 of them. Interesting!!!
Which 2 do you still have & enjoy. Have you posted your Top Ten yet?

10. Switched On Bach by Walter Carlos (SQ LP)
9. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (SACD)
8. Fragile by Yes (SACD)
7. Touch by Morton Subotnick (SQ LP)
6. Abraxis by Santana (SACD)
5. Tapestry by Carole King (SACD)
4. Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys (DVD-A)
3. Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues (SACD)
2. War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne (SACD and Blu-ray)
1. Holst's The Planets by NY Phil led by Leonard Bernstein (SQ LP and SACD)

Not sure if this has been done before or not, but I'll take a chance on it. Going from least favorite to favorite what are your 10 most favorite discs of all time? This can include all styles of music or if you want you can do a list of each style if you'd like as well. I'll get back to you on my list soon.

Oh top ten - now that's cruel that is..
TEN can't even start the list - that includes the ones I want to be there - to list any of my top favs..
Where then - do I start.
Lets see - Little Arrows.
That's the song a bloke in my grade sang (or attempted to sing) when our High School had an in-assembly-hall anybody could sing if they had talent - "concert" - (in the school) - thus that song was and always has been - my goto fav - as he sucked but the song was great.

Oh & it was to be the same year that I later discovered that I could borrow long-term (steal being a bad word) some 10 bakelite MES globe holders - from the science room's lab/storeroom - for my VU meter board.

As FOUR YEARS earlier mid-way through mid winter of 1965 - (here in New Zealand) I had my very own unique way - of playing ALL MUSIC in multiple channel surround sound, such that every single album - that I have ever bought, borrowed - or been given to "play / play with" - since then, has been IN - my top ten favourite albums of all time - each one pushing the tenth out of contention

Thus whoever sang the original Little Arrows.
Leapy Lee (just googled it and found the album was also called LITTLE ARROWS

Re:
"Little Arrows" is a single by English artist Leapy Lee. Released in 1968, it was the first single from his album Little Arrows.
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Little_Arrows
[unquote]

But then I also had access to all the one's from 1965 - that my own sisters and even my Mum had - to thus have THEM as my favs too.
(I didn't have any money when I was 12 - so I had to rely on others to "buy" or loan theirs to me - for me to "play/play-with" any music see).

All I know is this - as far as I can remember - (as well as what some research has found) away back in 1965 when I was "playing with" all forms of music - from old 78's in mono - to modern radio played albums, that my friends had bought and that I could thus play - in stereo - were what appeared to be similar - to what the end of July 1965's Australian Top Ten singles had been..

ie:
July 22, 1965
1 Crying In The Chapel - Elvis Presley
2 I Told The Brook - Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs
3 Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds
4 It Ain't Necessarily So - Normie Rowe and the Playboys
5 Hucklebuck - Brendan Bowyer
6 Angel - Cliff Richard
7 Stagger Lee - P.J. Proby
8 Wonderful World - Herman's Hermits
9 Wake Up My Mind - The Ugley's
10 Trains And Boats And Planes - Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas

ALL of these - i played or attempted to play - across my system - and ALL of them - became my all time favs - always depleted from my top ten list - when the next album or single "arrived" to topple the songs / albums at the bottom of the list.

Now - what were you wanting - as I have the FULL 1978 NZ published records available shopping guide - of the Records Publications Ltd, in Wellington NZ - listing all available (in the late 1970's) here.
And can give you their song titles, record numbers - album names / contributing artists / record labels - whatever?

Take the letter H for example...
Page 38 midway down LHS of page.
HANDS, Brian:
Hands Across The Table -- Waitete; Haere Mai; Hoki Mai; Manurere; Te Arawa E; Pokarekare; Blue Smoke; etc.,
Viking label;
VP 408, VPS 408C, * VIKING

The Publication was entitled as:

THE COMPLETE NEW ZEALAND RECORD & CASSETTE CATALOGUE

Oh = I still have it - which is still the way I made it - in 1968 (after I borrowed the bakelite globe holders and some MES torch globes) when I used a piece of discarded flooring panel (particleboard or chipboard as it's now known as).. to build my special 10 channel VU meter board.
Not being able to buy one see - as the only one's I knew of were very expensive and only two channels

But I had to add a plastic zippy box a few years ago - to "hide" the birds-nest of wires, that comprised my ten channel "Decagonophonic" VU meter board - to allow me to play it for making videos for YouTube around 2006 - 2009 - so that I could show the working board - without anyone seeing the birds-nest of wires, that comprises the analogue deplexer-decoder's active circuits and decoding workings.

Check it out, as I - here in the late 2000's - was playing an old pre-recorded tape I'd made sometime in the late 70's early 80's - on an 25w per ch - integrated amp's 2ch hard wired outputs, (here in Roxburgh), as I tried ever so desperately - to make a video proving that I had - ten channels of analogue decoded SURROUND SOUND in electrical current paths, that could be otherwise directly wired for speakers..

Yet - all on YouTube seemingly didn't watch - or care - as they blabbered on - about my cellphone's silly MONO recording (when doing video's) telling me it wasn't surround sound at all - but a mono audio in the video - as if the surround sound VU meter board - only displayed a MONO system ..
I am still gobsmacked to this day - that some idiots that SEE LIGHTS pulsing and flashing at different rates, power strengths etc - all assume - because it was "filmed" with a mono cellphone - it must ONLY be a mono system, that produced those flashing lights?

TEN LITTLE LIGHTS, brilliant VU meters - showing exactly how where and why - they LIGHT to nearly full brightness, driven ONLY by the electrical currents that should be powering individual speaker voice coils - in a ten channel analogue surround sound system.
FED from a two channel amplifier using just three wires - a Left positive, a Right positive & ONE other - oh look - one wire called a common-return/earthed-ground wire.
3 wires - for a 3D "ten channel" analogue deplexer-decoded surround sound system
Driven from the signal currents themselves, that I was able to prove are found on any old (or new) 2 ch / 2 track compact cassette tape.

Or watch the whole video from the start ...

Last edited:
Back