What are your top ten (10) multi-channel music discs of all time?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Not sure if this has been done before or not, but I'll take a chance on it. Going from least favorite to favorite what are your 10 most favorite discs of all time? This can include all styles of music or if you want you can do a list of each style if you'd like as well. I'll get back to you on my list soon.

My top ten multichannel releases???

Needs some thinking but I'll start with Shostakovich 5 by Ormandy as it proves once and for all that classical music can sound great when the multichannel mix is dynamically discrete!

81gJly6VmFL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Yes, needs some thinking, but when I just let my mind pop up I can come up with a few, not in order yet, just to get juices rolling.
Metallica- Black
Doobies- Captain and Me
Foo Fighters- One By One
One of The Beatles, I am sure?
Hendrix- Electric Ladyland
Some great R&B titles from Dutton Vocalion
GNR, Soundgarden, Temple Of Dog, Hmm, maybe?

I went through my list and came up with albums that I notice I most likely listen to start to finish. These got embedded in my brain during my youth and haven't grown stale. This is how I feel at the moment.

10. Blood Sweat & Tears - self titled Q4
9. Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown Q4
8. Loggins & Messina - Full Sail SACD
7. Jethro Tull - Aqualung BR-A
6. Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water Q4
5. Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream SACD
4. Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street Q4 (Soon to be replaced by Quadio...Yay!)
3. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper BR-A (despite mediocre 5.1 mix)
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon SACD (despite "Big Stereo" SACD Guthrie mix)
1. Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill Q4 (despite the nasty reverb treatment on Reelin' In The Years)

Other candidates that could easily slip into my current top 10:
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Chicago - Chicago IX (Greatest Hits)
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me
Eagles - Hotel California
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Jethro Tull - Benefit (and a bunch others)

I factored in surround mix and musical content as well. For me, to be my top ten of all time, it has to be excellent music in addition to an excellent mix.

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road (Atmos, Blu Ray)
2. R.E.M. - Automatic For The People (5.1, DVD-Audio)
3. Pearl Jam - Gigaton (Atmos, Streaming)
4. The Beatles - The Beatles (5.1, Blu Ray)
5. Depeche Mode - Violator (5.1, SACD)
6. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (5.1, SACD)
7. Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair (5.1, Blu Ray)
8. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (5.1, SACD)
9. Eagles - Hotel California (5.1, SACD)
10. The Beatles - Love (5.1, DVD-Audio)

Honorable Mention:
- Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (5.1, SACD)
- Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (5.1, SACD)
- Queen - A Night At The Opera (5.1, DVD-Audio)
- Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral (5.1, SACD)
- Every other REM album in surround (5.1, DVD-Audio)

Last edited:
Iā€™m thinking it comes down to favorite music more than the mix; if you consider those two factors and then add in also sound quality (recording, mastering etc.) it gets a whole lot harder. And if you say ā€œdiscsā€ Iā€™d assume no non- digital formats?
Good brain exerciser for sure; and here is a similar list thread to give some ideas:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/list-your-top-10-desert-island-discs.27004/
Actually anything that's multi-channel in music, so quad lp's and music video compilations/concert dvd's/blu-ray/4K also accepted šŸ˜€ Please state which format if it's available in a multitude of formats

Like others, I did my best to weigh the quality of the surround mix against the "how much do I really listen to this?" factor. Ask me again tomorrow and this list will probably change...

1. Beck - Sea Change
2. Deep Purple - Machine Head (U.K. SACD)
3. The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
4. Roxy Music - Avalon
5. Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
6. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue
7. America - Homecoming
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend
9. Rush - A Farewell To Kings (40th Blu-Ray)
10. XTC - Skylarking

Honorable Mentions:
Crowded House - Crowded House
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me (DVD-A)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit
Doors - Best Of The Doors
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
Mando Diao - Aelita
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Like others, I did my best to weigh the quality of the surround mix against the "how much do I really listen to this?" factor. Ask me again tomorrow and this list will probably change...

1. Beck - Sea Change
2. Deep Purple - Machine Head (U.K. SACD)
3. The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
4. Roxy Music - Avalon
5. Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
6. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue
7. America - Homecoming
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend
9. Rush - A Farewell To Kings (40th Blu-Ray)
10. XTC - Skylarking

Honorable Mentions:
Crowded House - Crowded House
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Doobie Brothers - The Captain & Me (DVD-A)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit
Doors - Best Of The Doors
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
Mando Diao - Aelita
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Update as frequently as you wish:hi

Not sure if this has been done before or not, but I'll take a chance on it. Going from least favorite to favorite what are your 10 most favorite discs of all time? This can include all styles of music or if you want you can do a list of each style if you'd like as well. I'll get back to you on my list soon.

Here goes:
10. Gentle Giant-Free Hand
9. Genesis-A Trick Of The Tail
8. Emerson, Lake & Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery (2008 SACD Edition)
7. Rush-Moving Pictures
6. Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (2003 SACD Edition)
5. Yes-Fragile (2015 Edition)
4. The Beatles-Abbey Road
3. Gentle Giant-The Power And The Glory
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland
1. King Crimson-In The Court Of The Crimson King (2019 Blu-Ray 50th Anniversary Edition)

Here goes:
10. Gentle Giant-Free Hand
9. Genesis-A Trick Of The Tail
8. Emerson, Lake & Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery (2008 SACD Edition)
7. Rush-Moving Pictures
6. Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (2003 SACD Edition)
5. Yes-Fragile (2015 Edition)
4. The Beatles-Abbey Road
3. Gentle Giant-The Power And The Glory
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland
1. King Crimson-In The Court Of The Crimson King (2019 Blu-Ray 50th Anniversary Edition)
My list will be quite similar to yours....we have quite similar taste:SB:LB

1. Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
2. Steven Wilson - Home Invasion
3. Art Garfunkel - Breakaway

Sorry, headed offsite for work. Since concert types are allowed, for me, that changes everything. I have ALWAYS loved to watch and listen. The art of the performance (visually) always keeps my attention much longer than staring at the wall while listening to a disc.

So, in terms of massive enjoyment I get, heavy rotation, never get bored of....these 3 came to my mind nearly instantly. I'll update my list with another 7 later in the day.

Hint - there will certainly be an Elton John, most likely some form of Pink Floyd, maybe even a Metallica. :)

So, I've barely started on the multichannel journey, with only 30 releases. Such a small number makes building a top 10 relatively easy. My list has to be a work in progress rather than canon, as an imminent purchases will surely replace some of these.

But here it is anyway:

10- Sound and Music: Recovery/Discovery (only a couple of multichannel pieces on here, but they are great)
9- Jeff Wayne: War of the Worlds
8- Johannes Brahms/Swenson/Scottish Chamber Orchestra: Violin Concerto/Hungarian Dances
7- Plaid: Greedy Baby
8- Philip Glass: Koyaanisqatsi (this is a film, but I frequently just listen to the soundtrack since getting 5.1 system)
6- Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
5- The Beatles: Love (despite being mostly medleys a format I don't normally like. I'd love to hear whole some of these pieces as whole).
4- King Crimson: In The Court of the Crimson King
3-The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
2- Kraftwerk: 3-D
1- Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Keen to follow up on these lists. The Shostakovich above is already earmarked. My wantlist of available releases grows daily but barely touches upon my wishlist for decent multichannel mixes of long time favourites.

So, I've barely started on the multichannel journey, with only 30 releases. Such a small number makes building a top 10 relatively easy. My list has to be a work in progress rather than canon, as an imminent purchases will surely replace some of these.

But here it is anyway:

10- Sound and Music: Recovery/Discovery (only a couple of multichannel pieces on here, but they are great)
9- Jeff Wayne: War of the Worlds
8- Johannes Brahms/Swenson/Scottish Chamber Orchestra: Violin Concerto/Hungarian Dances
7- Plaid: Greedy Baby
8- Philip Glass: Koyaanisqatsi (this is a film, but I frequently just listen to the soundtrack since getting 5.1 system)
6- Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
5- The Beatles: Love (despite being mostly medleys a format I don't normally like. I'd love to hear whole some of these pieces as whole).
4- King Crimson: In The Court of the Crimson King
3-The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
2- Kraftwerk: 3-D
1- Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Keen to follow up on these lists. The Shostakovich above is already earmarked. My wantlist of available releases grows daily but barely touches upon my wishlist for decent multichannel mixes of long time favourites.

Koyaanisqatsi is a great film and one everybody should watch at least once in their life. I don't know if you've watched it backwards but it's just as gnisiremsem.

Koyaanisqatsi is a great film and one everybody should watch at least once in their life. I don't know if you've watched it backwards but it's just as gnisiremsem.

!t'ndah I - but you're right, it is... Sadly, it's the same MGM DVD aspect ratio hatchet job - academy to widescreen - splicing and dicing Ron Fricke's superb camerawork, e.g. removing the top and bottom of the Grand Canyon. [sighs] I long for a release in the correct ratio like the VHS tape copy I still keep for this very reason - despite its poorer audio. Thanks for the link though. I could watch that spiralling rocket debris all day long, going up or down!

Back